Optifast

Options
I am just wondering if anyone has heard of or tryed Optifast. Opinions?

Replies

• mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've heard about it. I think its a bad idea for anyone who is not morbidly obese... even then, it should be done under supervision of a doctor and there are probably better ways.

It's a very low calorie diet with a meal replacement shake. It doesn't sound fun or healthy to me.
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    anyone else?
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Waste of time and money. Just eat real, fresh food, and get in some exercise. That's all you need. "Eating less + moving more = weight loss and overall health".

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I totally agree on the poster who said waste of time and money. Website says "The average weight loss is 2 to 4 pounds per week." ... you can do this on your own for FREE with diet and exercise. It is a meal replacement - a liquid diet it seems.

This does not teach anyone how to make a lifestyle change. It's meal replacement formula everyday for weeks or months.

This type of diet will cause (in most cases) a person to gain back all the weight once they are done with the overpriced liquid meals.
  • monkeygrrrl
    Options
    I am on this program and it's a medically supervised program with weekly meeting and weigh ins along with doctor visits, regular blood work etc. You basically go to school for 26 weeks to learn a lifestyle change. You are with a group of 26 others who follow the program. It is 3 hours weekly with an hour and a half of concealing, learning everything from nutrition, to exercise.

I think its a good start for anyone that is very obese that is suffering from health concerns. It is also a good restart for your metabolism. Anyone thinking they can loose a lot of weight and continue back to their old lifestyle after this is kidding themselves. This program, supervision and counselling sessions help you learn a different lifestyle. If you go into this with that mindset I think you would do fine. If you go into it as a quick fix you will fail.
  • monkeygrrrl
    Options
    Oh yes I've also lost 30 pounds on this in 5 weeks on the program 4 weeks on shakes. 8 weeks of shakes left and a transition to a 1200 diet afterwards with loads of exercise.

I'm new to this site so I apologize if I'm not using the bards properly...haha
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did it (or one similar) for 6 weeks. Lost over 30 lbs then fell off the wagon and gained it all back again.

What Redhottracina is doing is better. Mine didn't have a support program and didn't teach me how to eat right. It's always a better idea to get that because eventually you have to come off the shakes.

The shakes are okay. I got sick of all the sweet (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry). I don't think I could have kept it up very long with that. I still do the shakes for breakfast during the week because I am lazy but not like I have to do 5 a day.
  • Bvandergriff74
    Options
    my mom did this years ago. Sure, she lost weight. But her health has NEVER been the same and she got back up over her original start date after. Please, PLEASE don't do optifast ... it literally ruined her life.
  • feellikerain
    feellikerain Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am on my 11th week on Optifast and have lost over 43 pounds. Clearly, that's averaging OVER 2 lbs a week (in response to what an earlier poster said). Like any diet, you have to work it to get the most out of it. A few key things to note about the program.

1. It must be done under doctor supervision. You will get all the nutrients you need in a day as long as you stick to the program.
    2. You must start exercising. This is important for maintaining your weight loss once you stop using the meal replacement shakes, bars, and soups.
    3. I don't know if this is how it works at all clinics that offer Optifast, but at my clinic (Naperville Center for Health and Nutrition) there is a weekly group class that all members can attend that covers a different topic each week, talking about anything from "Smart Shopping" to "Body Image", and anything else pertaining to weight loss and keeping the weight off.
    4. There is a transition period when you're finishing up with the program so it's not like "Oh, you're done with the shakes, back to normal food, good luck!". You'll meet with a dietitian, come up with a plan, etc.

Anyways, I hope this information was helpful. All diets have pros and cons, and I fully recognize that this diet is NOT for everyone. But personally, it has made an unimaginably HUGE impact on my life!
  • CalMom60
    CalMom60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also on Optifast through my Kaiser medical plan. As others have said it is medically supervised with a two hour group meeting each week. This is required for our center. This is led by a licensed counselor and we discuss emotional struggles that may have led us to this point or may surface as we lose the weight. After our 20 week program we will transition to adding food back in and doing it with a plan. We need to relearn our bad habits. We all know what we should and shouldn't eat, we need to figure out how to avoid going back to the bad habits.
  • RCWesler
    RCWesler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my second time on the Optifast Program. First time was a decade ago. I lost 125 pounds but never transitioned myself to a healthy lifestyle. It took 10 years to gain all of the weight back, which I did. I am back on the program and learning everyday. I have built up my cardio to almost 45 minutes per day since February 20, 2013 and I am proud to say I am down 35 pounds so far. Naysayers can be naysayers all they want. Failure comes when someone stops what they are doing are revert to old ways. Vitamins and minerals don't make you sick. Bad lifestyle does. As anyone who is on this site knows, controlled intake (on many fronts) and daily activity are what keeps us lean and healthy. I will do mine my way, you do yours your wa and I will see you on the walking trail!