Hey Girls, do you do this too?

Options
During one week of my period, I have NO energy. I have cramps that make me throw up and keep me in bed for three days. The rest of the week I still hurt badly and have no energy to even get ready for the day let alone exercise! I crave sugar so bad that all I do is eat. It is so overwhelming and all consuming. I know this is incredibly bad and a HUGE setback for me trying to lose weight. I have had my thyroid and iron levels tested and are great. I know my body is in need of something because of the cravings and I eat fruits and veggies but that still doesn't satisfy.
So my question is this: Does anyone else experience anything like this and what do you do? Do you have any tips to help me?

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Wow. Mine are no fun but they aren't this debilitating. I sleep on a heating pad for two nights of it and that helps a lot.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis and it is debilitating. I am now on seasonale birth control and you only have a period every 3 months. I actually never have a period I take it non-stop, under doctor supervision and she said this is okay to do. You may talk to your dr about this. Best wishes!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I used to have that as well, it was awful! I started taking B12 like crazy, it almost instantly made the world of difference for me. (It was at my doctor's recommendation, she said it is something all women should take, especially around their period).
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I get pretty floored around my period too; the vomiting, the pains, the cravings for really bad food. Honestly I haven't found a solution (other than when I went on the pill, which I'm now too heavy for!) It's just occured to me though that half the reason I eat so bad during that week is because I spend so much time in bed - I don't have the energy to even get up and cook for myself so I eat snacky comfort type food - chocolate, crisps, biscuits etc.

I've been reading some recipe books this week and in Nigella Lawson's How To Eat she recommends making food ahead and freezing it in individual portions so when you don't have the time/energy to cook a delicious healthy meal is only 10 minutes away in the microwave. Doing that might help on the days I can't even think enough to properly cook, perhaps it's something you could try?
  • TheatreDamsel517
    Options
    Oddly enough the week OF my period I am fine. Occasional cramps, but nothing major. No strange cravings and my energy levels actually go up, prompting more exercise motivation! But the week BEFORE...I am a monster. Super cranky, no energy/motivation, major cravings for junk food and sweets. At this point I just go along with it and try to burn what I consumed the next week!
  • jdancer369
    Options
    It's just occured to me though that half the reason I eat so bad during that week is because I spend so much time in bed - I don't have the energy to even get up and cook for myself so I eat snacky comfort type food - chocolate, crisps, biscuits etc.

I've been reading some recipe books this week and in Nigella Lawson's How To Eat she recommends making food ahead and freezing it in individual portions so when you don't have the time/energy to cook a delicious healthy meal is only 10 minutes away in the microwave. Doing that might help on the days I can't even think enough to properly cook, perhaps it's something you could try?
    I just can to that realization too! That is a big problem on top of the cravings. That is a great idea to make things a head of time!! Thanks