Why do I weigh so much?

Options
Okay, so here is the thing, I am healthy and athletic. I have been eating healthier and have been athletic all of my life. I can run 2 miles and not be tired and I can run a mile in 8min. and 30sec. I also play volleyball. I have been big my whole life, but when I get on the scale I weigh so much. I am currently at the weigh of 204 pound and I wear size L-XL in shirts and size 14 in pants. I just don't understand why I weigh so much when my mom and my cousin wears the same size as me, but they weigh about 170? Is something wrong with me? Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Riyam
    Riyam Posts: 25
    Options
    It could be your diet.

Do you often eat processed food (Deli, boxed, breads, cereals, etc)? What about prepackage or fast food?

If you've been an athletic all your life, your body is accustomed. But even with so much exercise, it's very important what you put inside your system. In weight loss, 80% of the battle is having a clean diet.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    1. Find out what you burn in a 24 hour period. (TDEE)
    2. Plan out a realistic weight loss goal.
    3. Track all your food intake.
    4. Eat a deficit based on #2.
    5. Lose the weight.
    6. Live the dream.
  • hlubkojxwb0326
    Options
    I don't eat fast food and all the food I usually eat are nuts, yogurt, milk, cheese and fruits. My family eats alot of junk food like cookies, muffins and chips, but I don't eat them either. They also eat rice with every meal, I eat rice only once every two weeks.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without pics. It could be muscle... I have always weighed more than what I appeared to weigh and never understood.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's probably muscle. Muscle and fat take up different amounts of space. You could be full muscle and weight more at the same size than someone who is the same size as you but has fat weight on them.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    muscle. and the earth loves you more so it's working that much harder to keep you from floating off into space :smile:

i've aways been athletic and sporty, so I typically weight a good 25-35 pounds more than most people think. Also now I comfortably wear I size that people 30-40 pounds lighter than me are wearing. i know in my case it's not big-bones because I have a small frame, so it's gotta me muscle, bones, organs, and magic :laugh:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've always weighed more, and I've always been athletic. People look at me and assume I weight 10-20lbs less than I do, because I'm just a lot more compact and muscular. Take with with stride! Weight is just a number. The other numbers, like the miles you run, are much more important. ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're the same size, but weigh 30 pounds more, you're doing something right, not wrong. Enjoy your higher muscle mass and better metabolism.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here is the thing, I am healthy and athletic. I have been eating healthier and have been athletic all of my life. I can run 2 miles and not be tired and I can run a mile in 8min. and 30sec. I also play volleyball. I have been big my whole life, but when I get on the scale I weigh so much. I am currently at the weigh of 204 pound and I wear size L-XL in shirts and size 14 in pants. I just don't understand why I weigh so much when my mom and my cousin wears the same size as me, but they weigh about 170? Is something wrong with me? Thanks for your time.

I am exactly the same!
    I am HEAVY - far heavier on the scale than I am in size. I realise that won't make sense to those who don't have the same problem, lol.
    I aren't in denial that I'm fat so it's not like I'm trying to fool myself, but people are surprised at what I weigh compared to what I look like iykwim. Somewhere I'm secretly hoarding a good 20lbs or so - I wish it'd bugger off! :laugh:
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Don't pay attention to scale numbers. Do you have visible fat to lose? Are you satisfied with how you look? Use scale weight as a way to check progress.
  • p_barron
    p_barron Posts: 63
    Options
    I weigh 222lbs now and am in a size 14 pair of pants and in 1XL shirts. Mine is due to very high bone mass, the fact that I have big boobs, muscle, and the dreaded mommy tummy. I don't worry too much about the scale as to how my clothes fit