new here need support group

Options
Im 47 yrs old married 26 yrs with 2 living children (ages 25 23):heart::heart: and one that passed away 9 years ago :brokenheart: (her actual age is 19 but she passed at 10 yrs old). This is one of the BIG reasons I now weigh 266 lbs, I struggled so much in the beginning that I looked for comfort in food. That has always been an issue with me, I am an emotional eater.

Anyway, I developed diabetes, sleep apnea, a severe fatty liver and hypertension with the added weight. :mad: I tried a Dr assisted diet, Weight Watchers, and plain old diet and exercise without success. My husband suggested one day when we were watching TV and a commercial came on for weight loss surgery that I check into it. I started looking into investigating this and to make a long story short I had the lapband surgery on 11/29/11. I am loosing inches but not the pounds I thought I would so I am looking for support so I can loose the weight. I have some support at hom but my children are obese and dont seem tothink any of the health issues I have can or will effect them.

Please do not judge me for having the lapband i felt and still feel it is the best option for me who has issues with portion control.:tongue:

Replies

• richelle67
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP! You will love all the support and ideas you will get from here. I have been on here for almost 4 months and have found it very helpful. Doing what you have to do to get healthy is a personal choice. Having the lap band surgery was your choice, and only yours.. Do not let anyone tell you it wasn't a good choice. Feel free to add me as a friend for support on your journey. :smile:
  • Reyni
    Reyni Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your story is really sad. I think you are doing the right thing taking control or your diet. Good luck I just started my Journey as well after having a baby.
  • Trophyyf
    Trophyyf Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have known tons of people who had the lapband and gastric bypass. I'm not one of those people that feel it's the easy way out. People feel it is but it's not a magic surgery and boom you never have to work on weight loss again. You have to change your lifestyle with both procedures or the weight is going to come back and that is what people fail to see. It is just a way to jump start your weight loss and it is suppose to minimize your ability to intake as much. I once inquired about it myself and was told I wasn't heavy enough for my insurance to pay for it but I could pay out of pocket for it, if I really wanted it done. I decided not to have it done and years later I have found MFP and it really is something that has just worked for me so far.
    Good luck and add me if you would like. Also there is support groups online sites for people who have had surgery. You might consider joining one of those too. You can then talk to a lot of people who might be going through the same issues as you as far as having the surgery. Also as I'm sure you know that you need to be healthy in your heart and mind also to make this journey a success for you. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and I can't imagine how that was and is to deal with everyday. I have 5 children of my own and I can't imagine what that would be like. Good luck and again add me if you would like to.
  • Reyni
    Reyni Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your story is really sad. I think you are doing the right thing taking control or your diet. Good luck I just started my Journey as well after having a baby.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! It took a lot of courage to share your struggles with us and I applaud you. And for one, it took just as much courage to do the lapband surgery. I wish you the best on your journey! Namaste :flowerforyou:

Feel free to add me.
  • stephie7396
    stephie7396 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your honesty. Feel free to add me :)
  • texasro5e
    texasro5e Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I know what a struggle it can be. My Fit Pals can really help.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    welcome to MFP wendy! i think you will like it here and find success. everyone here is so friendly and supportive.
    this has been the easiest and best thing i have ever done as far as dieting goes. the motivation everyone gives and the support makes it easy ( at least for me) to keep on going. good luck in your journey!!
    feel free to add me as a friend if you like :flowerforyou: