Plateau

Options
I need some advice. I have hit a plateau and I've been there for about 3 weeks now.

I have added a strength training DVD to my workouts, but I am still doing some cardio too. Could the strength training be the reason why I am not losing weight?

I have been within my calories for the most part. This past weekend on Saturday I think I went over, but on Sunday I was way under, so I think it evened out.

Any suggestions as to how to break the plateau?

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    what i do is a little extreme...when i hit my plateaus i eat nothing but fresh fruits and veggies and add in about 2 serving of nuts a day a long with a protein shake...but the protein shake is only sometimes... and then within 2 days i usually break through the plateau ...at the same time i still exercise...but as i said its a little extreme
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    what i do is a little extreme...when i hit my plateaus i eat nothing but fresh fruits and veggies and add in about 2 serving of nuts a day a long with a protein shake...but the protein shake is only sometimes... and then within 2 days i usually break through the plateau ...at the same time i still exercise...but as i said its a little extreme

So then on those days you don't eat all your calories?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    jnikitow - how many calories are you eating each day? Do you eat your exercise cals?

No strength wouldn't hold you back per say - have you measured - if you're building muscle, your fat is probably burning away. As a matter of fact - I am adding another strength training day to help break a 2 week hiatus - I refuse to call it a plateau.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options

So then on those days you don't eat all your calories?
    on those days i actually do the best...because i forgot to mention that i eat every 2-3hours and make sure of it....where as if im eating reg i eat every 3-4hours.... but if you eat the two serving of nuts thats usually 300 and if u do drink a protien shake that's 100 and the fruits are anywhere from 40-150 a piece and i usually eat about 6fruits + a day the fresh veggies really arent that caloric tho
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    jnikitow - how many calories are you eating each day? Do you eat your exercise cals?

No strength wouldn't hold you back per say - have you measured - if you're building muscle, your fat is probably burning away. As a matter of fact - I am adding another strength training day to help break a 2 week hiatus - I refuse to call it a plateau.

I eat 1400 calories on non-exercise days. On days I exercise, I try to eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Eat every 2 - 3 hours and make sure that you get some protein with each one.

Change things up in your exercises. Doing the same workout routine can work against you sometimes.

Be patient, plateaus happen. While they seem like an eternity whil eyou are enduring one, when you look back, it really isn't all that bad. Your body is aiming for homeostasis( everything stays the same) and you are working against that by trying to lose weight.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

I eat 1400 calories on non-exercise days. On days I exercise, I try to eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories.
    That's good - sometimes people post and they just aren't eating. We're kinda in this rut together - hopefully my adding strength and maybe you changing up your workout too will get us out!
  • JCassedy
    JCassedy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find that when I hit a plateau it is because I have not eaten ALL my calories consistently (you can not over eat one day and under eat the next and call it even, it does not work that way) and that I am too consistent with my meals. Mix it up, have something you usually don't eat in your diet (but within portion). Remind your body what it is doing. Don't worry about it too much either... I find stressing about it makes the weight stick.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]145846.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary