Healthy Pizza?

Options
My family likes to order pizza sometimes and I was wondering what are the healthies and lowest calorie ways to order it? Thin crust? Red or white sauce? Cheese? Veggies?

:happy: :tongue: :laugh:

Replies

• Scottslass
    Scottslass Posts: 76
    Options
    I would go for a thin crust with tomato base a little cheese for flavour and loads of veggies.

:flowerforyou:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert- but I would say that the red sauce is likely the healthiest. Tomato base versus cheese base.

I know our Papa Johns also offers Whole Wheat crust, now if it's really whole wheat, it's likely better than the regular, but who knows.
    Also, just another guess I would say thin crust is likely better than thick and I would say that it's likely safe to assume that veggies are better than the meats (considering very few pizza topping meats are "lean" meats).
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Go with a thin whole wheat crust. Red sauce...tomatoes are high in lycopene...white sauce is cream based...not healthy at all. Lots of veggies...chicken...no beef or pork. Also, you can go cheeseless...but I have a feeling that your family wouldn't like it very much. Go Hawaiian as well...pineapple has lots of nutrients. Also...do not order sides! Stick with a salad and fruit that you can prepare at the house. Breadsticks are pretty bad...and the dipping sauces...other than marinara there isn't a decent one out there. Wings are high fat, high cal, and not many nutrients. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • christalbyrns
    Options
    Pizza is one of those things I stay away from when losing weight. There are frozen options but not the same and they have a lot of carb grams:noway: . Ive made high fiber flat type of bread pizzas watching the cheese. I wait for the craving to come along. Good luck
  • kimgibbons
    kimgibbons Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You could also try making your own pizza. I know it's not ordering but then you will know for sure what is in it and that it is healthy. Here is how I make them: I whole heat pita shell, low fat pizza sauce (tomato), lots of vegetables, and if you like meat you can put on fat free ham or something and then low fat mozzarella on top. Bake in the oven and enjoy! I think this way you can eat the whole pizza and it is only like 300 calories.
    Another great thing about this is the kids (if you have any) can each make their own and pick their toppings!
  • pepamint83
    pepamint83 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying make UR own. I have since i startted especially when i get that craving...yes its not the same as we all know but it gives u the taste U crave healthier for U and U know exactly wat is put into it...Mayan farms makes really good 110 calorie whole wheat low carb flat torillas i use that and then add my ingredients tastes really good and no guilt after it.

BUt i get the want for pizza i now crave a real piece lol

good luck everyone on our life change

xoxo

tortoise

ps remember slow and steady wins the race
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    Papa Johns has thin wheat crust, red sauce is almost always better than white (ask about organic- some places have it now), with light cheese and extra veggies! Good luck
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Boboli has a premade wheat crust that is pretty tasty. My husband and I love to throw on tons of veggies...onion, bell pepper and mushroom are essential in my opinion! Also, Hormel makes a low-fat pepperoni if you are really having a craving.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a pizza addict! I love it and won't give it up- I just workout more for it.

Best I've found is Domino's. They're crust uses less oil that Papa John's and they put on less cheese so when you say 'light' cheese it's very light.

I get a thin crust (small) with green peppers, light cheese, light sauce(don't need tons on a thin crust), onions and ham.

Chicken used by pizza places tends to have TONS of sodium so be careful.

Go over the nutritional information for each place and chose what works for you :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You know what's really good?

A whole wheat pita, with bruschetta spread on it. Sprinkle some diced grilled chicken, a little feta and some sliced black olives on it. Broil a couple mins in the oven. Yumm!
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I managed a pizza shop for several years and I can tell you for sure that there are fewer calories in a thin crust in comparison to hand tossed or pan style. Garlic butter and alfredo type sauces have way more calories than the typcial red/tomato-based pizza sauce. You can ask them to do light cheese on the pizza (usually that is 1/2 the amount of shredded cheese they would normally put on the pizza). Load up on veggies! Be sure to ask if they brush anything on the crust such as butter or parmesean cheese. That can make a big difference. Instead of parmesean cheese you could ask for crushed red pepper, yummy.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    If you've gotta have meat, ham or canadian bacon is the leanest meat I've found. Chicken gets a little iffy; usually because it's served on a white (alfredo) sauce rather than red sauce. Thin crust is the only way to go. Most national pizza chains have pretty good nutritional info on their website.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I buy my boyfriend the thin crispy crust Di Giorno and the thin crust California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizzas. They tend to have 280-340 calories for 1/3 of the pizza compared to 280-340 calories for 1/5 pizza on regular crust versions.
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I agree with those that make there own!! When i get a craving for pizza i get some whole wheat flat bread,some ragu pizza sauce then some pepperonie & shredded cheese...then load up on the veggies.

The best thing about it is i can load the veggies on, put 5 or 6 slices of pepperonie and still have enough stuff to make several pizza's. Its more 'budget freindly":wink:

Its only around 350 cals and you can eat pizza a couple of days that week!

You will be suprised how addicted you get to these :love: i don't even crave resturaunt style pizza anymore:flowerforyou:
  • Dianeb412
    Dianeb412 Posts: 29
    Options
    You are better off making it yourself- get a boboli pizza shell and fill it with all sorts of veggies and turkey pepperoni and low fat cheese- pretty yummy
  • kmg621
    kmg621 Posts: 11
    Options
    Make your own!!! It's MUCH healthier and FUN! Get Fit & Active Flatbread (cheap). Top w/ red sauce & cheese. Put on your fav toppings...ham, pineapple, veggies, etc. YUMMY! Hope this helps!:smile: