Feeling sick from protein shakes

Options
Every time I drink a protein shake immediately after a work out, it makes me feel kind of nauseous. Like right now, I feel awful. I have tried different drinks but it always happens. Bleeh what do I do? I want the benefits of getting a large quantity of protein quickly and right after working out.

Advice? :(

Replies

• chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try protein bars? Or protein from food?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Don't feel as if you "need" to consume anything right after working out. It's personal preference.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    You can wait 20 minutes or so until your heart-rate slows. Any time within a hour is great!
  • mad4beinhere
    mad4beinhere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can wait 20 minutes or so until your heart-rate slows. Any time within a hour is great!
    I agree, wait till you cool down and if you're not liking the shake try a small 95g of tuna, chicken or salmon.
    :-)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I know that I feel sick after a protein shake after a workout or not, in saying that... are you doing a proper cooldown?
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I have read that chocolate milk is good after a workout
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Don't feel as if you "need" to consume anything right after working out. It's personal preference.

This. I don't agree with Whey. You're better off eating lean meats for protein
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    The first protein powder I tried (stuff I bought at the grocery store) I had the same reaction. Blech. I couldn't even choke it down. My personal trainer told me to try Dymatize. Wow, what a difference! Quickly dissolves in water. Bodybuilding.com has a 10-serving size trial size pack of Dymatize for $11.99. I think GNC also carries it. I bought the Gourmet Vanilla flavor, and it tastes like cake batter. I'm hoping to try a smoothie with it this week with some berries.