Disappointed with Garmin Forerunner 305

Options
jtintx
jtintx Posts: 445 Member
I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 because it looked like it had all the features I wanted. Well, I was really disappointed with the calorie feature. I did a 2 hr. bike ride and it said I burned over 1700 calories! My Polar F6 usually reports around 800 calories for a 2 hr. ride. When you are trying to use a device to help you with weight management and it is off this much then the device is pretty much worthless!

Don't buy the 305 if you want an accurate calorie count!!! I'm just glad I got it on sale and didn't pay full price for the thing!

Anyone know of a fix for this?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see this - I wanted to get one - any other suggestions on something like this - Anyone??

It's a heartrate monitor with GPS which tells your distance, speed and calories burned.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a huge difference. I have heard a similar complaint from another biker when he puts the gps unit on the handlebars. I have 5 friends who use theirs for running that say theirs work flawlessly for running.

There is a great article on Runner's World about why calculating calories burned is so hard. I'm having trouble getting to the site right now. Will try to post it again later.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I was JUST looking at the Garmin to buy online not 30 seconds ago! I have a Nike Triax C6 but I don't have the chest strap (don't ask me where it is...:grumble: ) Maybe I'll just buy a replacement chest strap.

Again, thanks.

exercise.png
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Maybe you should take it back and get another one.

I had a HRM (reebok one) and had to return it right after I got it. It was way off on the calorie count. My new one (the same brand, just a new HRM from the same company) works great. It could be that you just got a bad one (it happens).

I would love to have a Garmin! I've been drooling over one for months now....just can't afford it right now but hopefully someday...

Good luck!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take it back and get another one.

I had a HRM (reebok one) and had to return it right after I got it. It was way off on the calorie count. My new one (the same brand, just a new HRM from the same company) works great. It could be that you just got a bad one (it happens).

I would love to have a Garmin! I've been drooling over one for months now....just can't afford it right now but hopefully someday...

Good luck!

I'm not sure what your budget is but, you can get a brand new Garmin unit for about $59 on ebay. I buy and sell on ebay all the time.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    jtintx - before buying a new one or taking it back.

Perhaps you should make sure that both HRM's are setup correctly.

My Polar F6 has a resting heartbeat. I've noticed that I had it set too low and was burning more calories. I reset the resting heartbeat to a higher number, and the watch set it back automatically lower. Maybe something like that is happening?

I think it will set a number for resting heartbeat if it see's a LOWER number when in exercise mode.
    Hope that makes sense.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    jtintx - before buying a new one or taking it back.

Perhaps you should make sure that both HRM's are setup correctly.

My Polar F6 has a resting heartbeat. I've noticed that I had it set too low and was burning more calories. I reset the resting heartbeat to a higher number, and the watch set it back automatically lower. Maybe something like that is happening?

I think it will set a number for resting heartbeat if it see's a LOWER number when in exercise mode.
    Hope that makes sense.

That is a great suggestion. I know the Polar has a resting heartbeat setting. I am not sure if the Garmin has a resting heartbeat setting but I know it has a weight and age setting. All definitely important settings for the calories burned calculations.
  • jtintx
    Options
    The Garmin doesn't have a resting HR setting but it does allow you to enter your max HR. I have the same number entered in my Polar and the Garmin.

I bought the Garmin new, for half price, at Amazon and there were a ton of reviews an most were excellent so I didn't bother to read them....but later I found that others had complained about the calorie count being way off.

I've sent an email to Garmin to see if there is a patch but I also hear that their customer support isn't all that great.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 605 and LOVE it except the calorie burn. I've had bike rides over 10,000 cals.... looks like buffet line for me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not sure why the calculation is off so badly but I never use that function anyway.

Overall... the niche GPS technology is pricey and expect a 30-40% reduction in cost over the next few years. It may be good to keep the gadgets simple until then.

Raymond
  • kechiemc
    Options
    The Garmin doesn't have a resting HR setting but it does allow you to enter your max HR. I have the same number entered in my Polar and the Garmin.

I bought the Garmin new, for half price, at Amazon and there were a ton of reviews an most were excellent so I didn't bother to read them....but later I found that others had complained about the calorie count being way off.

I've sent an email to Garmin to see if there is a patch but I also hear that their customer support isn't all that great.

Hope this helps: I saw a suggestion to divide the calories burned by 1.5 and keep in mind that it is just an estimate.

I am not sure how often you should update your max HR. Does anyone know? I apologize for going off topic here. As we get healthier, don't our hearts get more efficient? I know my resting HR gets really low when I am training for the half marathon.

I am sorry for your disappointment.:flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 because it looked like it had all the features I wanted. Well, I was really disappointed with the calorie feature. I did a 2 hr. bike ride and it said I burned over 1700 calories! My Polar F6 usually reports around 800 calories for a 2 hr. ride. When you are trying to use a device to help you with weight management and it is off this much then the device is pretty much worthless!

Don't buy the 305 if you want an accurate calorie count!!! I'm just glad I got it on sale and didn't pay full price for the thing!

Anyone know of a fix for this?

There is no fix. The Garmin device uses SPEED to calcluate calories burned rather than heart rate. It will be way, way off with activities such as cycling, blading, etc.

Estimating calories, even based on heart rate, is not easy given all the variables. The Polar HRM, which are probably the best, are still only general estimates--they are better than making a number up, and they will have some interworkout consistency for the same user, assuming they are set up probably, but even Polar should not be seen as a precise number.

Garmin are experts at GPS. Devices like the 305 are really geared more towards performance athletes who are not as interested in weight loss. That's a huge oversight on Garmin's part, IMO, but that's the way it is.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Hope this helps: I saw a suggestion to divide the calories burned by 1.5 and keep in mind that it is just an estimate.

I am not sure how often you should update your max HR. Does anyone know? I apologize for going off topic here. As we get healthier, don't our hearts get more efficient? I know my resting HR gets really low when I am training for the half marathon.

Max heart rate does not change significantly with training. Resting HR often becomes lower; you should be able to do more work at any given submaximal heart rate with training, but the top number is more related to age.
  • kechiemc
    Options

Max heart rate does not change significantly with training. Resting HR often becomes lower; you should be able to do more work at any given submaximal heart rate with training, but the top number is more related to age.

• jtintx
    Options
    I ran with the Garmin tonight and it seemed spot on with the previous Polar readings that I had.

Azdak, I think you're right about the cycling being way off. But they advertise that it's good for cycling...so it kind of chaps me that the calories are way off. Makes no sense to me...you can have an overweight person riding 15 mph and a fit person riding 15 mph and one will be working MUCH harder than the other...HR is a much better indicator of calories burned. You'd think a company the size of Garmin would know that!!!

I guess I can just use my Polar on the bike when I'm doing a new route ...I can strap the Garmin to the handlebar and just wear the Polar HR monitor. Not what I wanted to do but don't have much of a choice.
  • jtintx
    Options
    To top it all off I updated the software for Garmin Training Center and now the help feature of the software doesn't work. I'm starting to think this company/product is a bunch of cr@p!!! :grumble: :mad:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but since the only thing wrong is when you have it hooked up for cyling, maybe you have the wrong tire size ?.. If that information has to be inputed.
  • jtintx
    Options
    I don't think that would be an issue... distance is determined by GPS and tire size wouldn't affect HR...but thanks for the suggestion.

I just think their algorithm stinks...I've read they base it on speed and not HR....

To me it's the principle of the thing....I paid good money for a product that doesn't function accurately. Maybe they should hire someone that works(ed) for Polar. :ohwell:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    800 calories for a 2 hour bike ride? Are you just noodling around town? I know I burn about 750-800 calories in an hour going 15mph nonstop along dirt paths outside town. That just seems awful low unless you're just going on a leisurely ride.