Half marathon training and trying to lose weight

Options
Hello all!

I am currently in training for a half marathon that will be on May 6th. It's my 5th one, but this time I am trying to lose weight at the same time. I'm hoping to lose weight to help improve my running times and because I'm getting married this summer. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on trying to lose weight while training for an event like the half marathon. I just want to make sure I have enough energy to get through all the training runs and that my running isn't affected negatively.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• Nehuntress
    Nehuntress Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no good advice, but I'm hoping to see some response. Congrats on your engagement and accomplishments. Good luck!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just drop cals
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hoping to see some good advice.

Not training for a half marathon but usually train intensely 10-15 or so hours a week and my weight was stuck now I'm sick and all I am doing is walking and have lost 3.3 pounds in 3 days :S
  • dresser2000
    Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I'm a newbie when it comes to running--just started a few weeks ago (ran 3 miles today), and I signed up for a half marathon in June. Sadly, I don't have any expert advice for you. My game plan is to keep doing what I am doing--eating mostly healthy, and eating back most of my exercise calories. It has been working so far, as I have lost about 1.8 lbs/week and have a lot of energy.

I'll be interested to hear what more experienced runners have to say. Good luck!
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Ran 7 miles today. My half marathon is April 29 and I am hoping to drop 11 more pounds between now and then. I have cut calories, so we shall see!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Just drop cals

There is a great article in the March Runners World entitled "Running On Empty." Read it. I do not suggest dropping your calories drastically. Food is fuel. If you eat a couple hundred (100-200) under TDEE you will automatically be at a deficit to lose weight .
  • acbinky
    acbinky Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been working out with a wonderful trainer for about 9 months and lost alot of weight! So now she is training me for my first 5K in april. Do you have any suggestions? I have not got a hold of my breathing yet, having trouble in that area. Just recently I started losing more weight, I work out 3 times a week and I replaced my lunch with RAW protien meal replacement! It is wonderful as far as the effects not the taste. But the results are wonderful and I matter of 2 weeks have seen the pounds come off.
    I now and a size 4!!!! I hope some of this will help you and please let me know what you do to endure your runs and maintain your breathing.

thanks,,
    veronica:happy:
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke half a pack a day and went from 1 mile downhill to 10 miles in a month.... lost about 15 lbs too then another 15 after and increased my endurance to 14+ miles and dropped my pace from 11min/mile to 8 min on long runs and just under 6 for fastest pace.... I did all this on a net 1220 calorie diet.... how? Just forcing myself to run longer every week! Your body is an amazingly adaptable machine that is capable of far more than you think you can do.
    Hi,
    I have been working out with a wonderful trainer for about 9 months and lost alot of weight! So now she is training me for my first 5K in april. Do you have any suggestions? I have not got a hold of my breathing yet, having trouble in that area. Just recently I started losing more weight, I work out 3 times a week and I replaced my lunch with RAW protien meal replacement! It is wonderful as far as the effects not the taste. But the results are wonderful and I matter of 2 weeks have seen the pounds come off.
    I now and a size 4!!!! I hope some of this will help you and please let me know what you do to endure your runs and maintain your breathing.

thanks,,
    veronica:happy:
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of running in the past 5 years (5 marathons and 4 half marathons). The problem with training for a long distance run is that the training makes you very very hungry. I have found that when training for a marathon it is almost impossible to lose weight (I always gain 5 lbs) but when training for a half it is not impossible.

I wouldn't be too aggressive with your diet but if you are looking at doing a 0.5 - 1 lbs a week loss while training you should be just fine. Anything more then that and you are probably going to be negatively effecting your times.

gashinshotan - that is very amazing and you are a very gifted runner to be able to do that. You have my respect (and I will admit to being a little jealous). I don't think that most people could handle that load.
  • Laura86
    Laura86 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm just going to try to focus on eating more quality foods rather than the junk food I had been eating and not worry so much about calories. I know that having 150-200 calories of fruits and veggies or lean protein will do a lot more for my body than eating 150 calories of cookies. I am trying to look at food more as fuel. I will let you know how it goes! Crossing my fingers for a PR this spring!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs during my 18 week training program for my 1st half. I found by tracking everything i ate and underestimating my calories burned weightless was easy and I got to eat TONS of food. I am 5 weeks into a marathon training program and have dropped about 4lbs already. If I can do it anyone can. :)
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to 1/2 lb per week loss and eat back your exercise calories. This way you still have enough energy for the training while achieving a minor caloric deficit. If you eat too little, your workouts will suffer and you may not set a PB during your next race!