Juice Fast (Thoughts & Advice)

Options
I'm considering beginning a juice fast like they did on Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. If you haven't seen that documentary, I highly recommend watching it. Especially if you're health conscious or just incredibly gung-ho about shedding some pounds. Anyway, let me try to explain what a juice fast is to those people who don't know.

A juice fast is where you intake nothing but naturally made fruit and vegetable juices. No solid foods. No store bought juices. Everything that is consumed is simply fruits and veggies that have been stuffed into your home blender. You drink 4 glasses of whatever juice you fancy for 60 days (or however long you please, I suppose. 60 days is just how long they attempted it in the documentary.) Overall, they said it went extremely well. It gives you so much more energy. It helps you sleep better. It keeps headaches away (for all you out there that are headache-prone.) And it makes you, more than anything, very, very healthy. Also, in 60 days, the main guy lost 90lbs. Another guy, in five days, lost 17lbs. The only thing the people in the documentary advise is that you see a doctor before you begin. Just to make sure you're able to do it. Oh, and while on the diet, they recommend at least walking. Even if it's just 10 minutes a day. (That's still more than you'd be doing otherwise.)

I guess I'm just wanting a few people's thoughts on the whole thing. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone think of a down side to this? Also, I'm insanely picky. Everyone says that's mind over matter, and it may be, but that's still the way I am. (Although, I do try new things when the opportunity arises.) So would this whole thing work if I didn't stuff EVERYTHING into a juice and only drank what I actually liked. (Which might end up being a whopping 3 different type of fruit/vegetable juices.) Anyone wanna try it with me if I decide to go for it?

Replies

• Cndressing
    Options
    Hi! Omg! Im going to try this too. I just posted a topic on this a few minutes ago too.
    I think it will be really good for me im going to try it fo r 10 days only thought. If it helps me feel more energetic im going to incorporate it to twice a year thing. Ill try it with you.
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    I tried it. It works! Certainly difficult at start but stick with it and you will be amazed. I lost 30lbs in 31 days. May not the best long term plan, but works for BMI30+ individuals imho.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the concept, you're body actually needs fats/protein to work properly but if you want to do it then I'd really make sure you get as much variety as poss. I used to juice a lot (in addition to eating proper food) and you can hide the taste of a lot of things you may not necessary like with things such as fresh ginger, lime (squeezed on top just before drinking), and a sweet fruit like apple. I also really recommend beets/beetroot as it makes everything a lovely pink colour :)
  • memega
    Options
    Copy paste from my notes gathered from different sites during my reboot program :smile:

The Different Juice Fasting Stages of Detoxification

A single cell within the human body is more complex than the most modern supercomputer. The process of removing a hundred thousand antigens, each with unique molecular properties, from trillions of functioning cells is indeed a complex process. Imagine three trillion cells being repaired during the function of countless biochemical processes needed for life. Even the best mechanics have to turn off the engine. Yet, the body has millions of micro mechanics that do this with ease.
    One of the body’s automatic maintenance processes is the destruction of foreign microorganisms. When looking through a dark-field microscope, countless parasites are clearly visible. I observed parasites living inside blood cells. Several could be seen eating cholesterol, and I was amazed to see one swim. Watching lymphocytes moving in the blood was like a science-fiction movie. These complex, lymphocyte organisms attached themselves and engulfed toxins. As they did, their colorations flowed into fascinating patterns leaving me with a sense of wonder and respect for the miraculous ability and infinite complexity of the human body.

Fasting Detoxification Stages:
    Here is an overview of the detoxification stages during a juice fast. The time periods are a general estimation.

Stage 1 (Day 1 To Day 2)
    On the first day of fasting, the blood sugar level drops below 70 mg/dl. To restore the blood to the normal glucose level, liver glycogen is converted to glucose and released into the blood. This reserve is enough for half a day. The body then reduces the basal metabolic rate (BMR). The rate of internal chemical activity in resting tissue is lowered to conserve energy. The heart slows and blood pressure is reduced. Glycogen is pulled from the muscle causing some weakness. The first wave of cleansing is usually the worst.
    Headaches, dizziness, nausea, bad breath, glazed eyes and a heavily coated tongue are signs of the first stage of cleansing. Hunger can be the most intense in this period unless the enema is used which quickly assists the body into the fasting state by ending digestion in the colon.

Stage 2 (Day 3 To Day 7)
    Fats, composed of transformed fatty acids, are broken down to release glycerol from the gliceride molecules and are converted to glucose. The skin may become oily as rancid oils are purged from the body. People with problem-free skin may have a few days of pimples or even a boil. A pallid complexion is also a sign of waste in the blood. Ketones are formed by the incomplete oxidation of fats. It is suspected that the ketones in the blood suppress the appetite by affecting the food-satiety center in the hypothalamus. You may feel hungry for the first few days of the fast. This effect is temporary. The desire to eat will disappear. Lack of hunger may last 40 to 60 days, depending on whether you are on water or juice.
    The body embraces the fast and the digestive system is able to take a much-needed rest, focusing all of its energies on cleansing and healing. White blood cell and immune system activity increases. You may feel pain in your lungs. The cleansing organs and the lungs are in the process of being repaired. Periodically, the lymphatic system expels mucoid matter through the nose or throat. The volume excreted of this yellow-colored mucus can be shocking. The sinuses go through periods of being clogged, then will totally clear. The breath is still foul and the tongue coated. Within the intestine, the colon is being repaired and impacted feces on the intestinal wall start to loosen.

Stage 3 (Day 8 to Day 15)
    On the latter part of an extended fast, you can experience enhanced energy, clear-mindedness and feel better than you have felt since childhood. On the downside, old injuries may become irritated and painful. This is a result of the body’s increased ability to heal during fasting. If you had broken your arm 10 years before, there is scar tissue around the break. At the time of the break, the body’s ability to heal was directly related to lifestyle. If you lived on a junk-food diet, the body’s natural healing ability was compromised.
    During fasting, the body’s healing process is at optimum efficiency. As the body scours for dead or damaged tissue, the lymphocytes enter the older, damaged tissue secreting substances to dissolve the damaged cells. These substances irritate the nerves in the surrounding region and cause a reoccurrence of aches from previously injured areas that may have disappeared years earlier. The pain is good as the body is completing the healing process. The muscles may become tight and sore due to toxin irritation. The legs can be the worst affected, as toxins accumulate in the legs. Cankers are common in this stage due to the excessive bacteria in the mouth. Daily gargling with salt and water will prevent or heal cankers.

Stage 4 (Day 16 to Day 30)
    The body is completely adapted to the fasting process. There is more energy and clarity of mind. Cleansing periods can be short with many days of feeling good in between. There are days when the tongue is pink and the breath is fresh. The healing work of the organs is being completed. After the detoxification mechanisms have removed the causative agent or render it harmless, the body works at maximum capacity in tissue proliferation to replace damaged tissue. While a short fast will reduce the symptoms, a longer fast can completely heal. Homeostatic balance is at optimum levels. The lymphatic system is clean except for a rare discharge of mucus through the nose or throat. After day 20, the mind is affected. Heightened clarity and emotional balance are felt at this time. Memory and concentration improve.

Stage 5 (Breaking the Fast)
    The sticky, toxic, mucoid coating on the intestinal wall is loose, and the first meal frees it from the intestinal wall. Toxins enter the blood through the colon. The gallbladder dumps its waste in a heavy discharge of bile. This can cause an instant bowel movement upon eating followed by intense diarrhea. If the symptoms are too uncomfortable, an enema will help.
    This article was written by, Mr. Tom McGregor, author of Eating in Freedom.

Breaking A Fast: Guidelines
    For six days, gradually increase the amount of raw fruits and vegetables in your diet. To break a fast and gorge on meat, bread or junk food will be a disaster. Jarring the system this intensely, when the digestive system is re-awakening, can cause stomach cramps, nausea and weakness, negating some of the benefits of a fast.

First day: Eat a piece of fruit in the morning and a small bowl of raw vegetable salad for lunch; vegetable broth also is good. Drink freshly made juice for the rest of the day.

Second day: Soaked prunes or figs for breakfast. Small bowl of fresh vegetable salad for lunch. Vegetable soup made without salt at dinner. Two apples or a fruit salad eaten between meals. All this in addition to freshly made juices and broths.

Third day: Same as the second day, but add a handful of dates or raisins.

Fourth day: You may return to the diet you have chosen, but it is important to listen to your stomach, eat smaller meals, chew your food and eat according to hunger.

NOTE: When breaking a fast over ten days, a good rule of thumb is that the break-in period should be extended one day for every 4 days of fasting. When breaking from water fasting, go to a juice fast for two days or eat sweet fruits like oranges, mangoes or pears.

Healthy Eating Habits
    1. Eat slowly and chew your food well. Saliva has enzymes that assist in digestion. The enzymes in saliva can digest up to 80 percent starch, 30 percent protein and 10 percent fat.
    2. Do not overeat! Listen to your body. Discover the amount of food that your body needs to live a vibrant, healthy life.
    3. Decide ahead of time what you want to eat and the amount rather than eating from an urge.
    4. Make juices during the breaking period. Juice is gentle nourishment to the body. Most fasters continue to include juice in their daily routine for the rest of their lives.
    5. Be relaxed. Try to unwind when eating.
    6. Stay focused on eating rather than on unsettling thoughts. Pay attention to the texture, smell and the sensation of eating. Be aware of how it feels in the stomach.
    7. Enjoy eating to the max. People are starving and you have the privilege to eat.
    8. Work at making healthy food appealing. A banana and pear taste great without preparation but having them sliced into a fancy bowl, sprinkled with chopped dates and chilled in the refrigerator will maintain your enthusiasm for eating healthy.
    9. Discern the difference between cravings and hunger. Never feed your emotions by eating from stress, depression or boredom.
    10. You will feel satisfied with smaller amounts of food and sluggish and tired when overeating. Rich foods full of fat, salt and processed sugars will cause nausea, headaches and weakness. A handful of fruit will be thoroughly satisfying. Because the digestive system has to work less, there will be boundless energy to spare.
    11. Have an exit activity for after eating. Make it something you want to do. It will be easier to move away from the table.
    12. Educate yourself on how to begin a lifestyle of healthy eating. Fasting is a wonderful new beginning, a foundation for a lifelong, healthy diet

Juice Recipes

ABCs
    2 Asian pears
    2 Apples (Choose any variety!)
    2 Beets
    2 Carrots
    1 cup Cabbage (choose any variety!)
    6 handfuls Chard 3 cups
    Calories: 430
    Protein: 11 g
    Fiber: 2 g

Apple-Beet-Carrot Juice
    1 Apple
    2 Beets
    3 Large Carrots
    1 Piece Ginger (thumb sized)
    4 cups Spinach/Kale
    Calories: 280
    Protein: 8 g

Apple-Cantaloupe-Honeydew-Kale-Swiss Chard
    2 Apples
    1/2 Cantaloupe
    1/2 Honeydew
    6-8 leaves Kale
    6-8 leaves Swiss Chard
    Calories: 320
    Protein: 10 g
    Fiber: 4 g

Apple-Carrot-Beet
    2 Apples
    4 Carrots
    2 Beets
    6 leaves swiss chard – 1.5 cup
    1” ginger root (1 tablespoon)
    Calories: 300
    Protein: 9 g
    Fiber: 2.5 g

Apple-Cabbage-Carrot-Swiss Chard-Ginger-Lemon
    2 Apples
    1 wedge Red Cabbage
    2 Large Carrots
    6 leaves Swiss Chard
    1/4 lemon
    Calories: 321

Beet, Celeriac, Carrot Juice
    4 Carrots, stems removed
    1/2-1 Apple, seeded
    1/2 Celeriac root
    1 Beet
    1/4 inch slice Ginger root (optional)
    Calories: 285
    Protein: 7 g
    Fiber: 1 g

Blackberry Kiwi
    1/4 large Pineapple, core removed and roughly cubed
    1 cup Blackberries
    1 Kiwi Fruit
    1/4 Comice Pear
    1/4 cup Coconut Water
    30 Mint leaves
    Calories: 230
    Protein: 5 g

Carrot-Kale Combo
    1 Green Apple
    3 handfuls Spinach
    6-8 Kale leaves
    4 large Carrots
    1 piece Ginger (thumb size)
    Calories: 280

Gazpacho Juice
    4 Plum Tomatoes
    1 large Cucumber
    2 stalks Celery
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    1/4 small Red Onion
    2 cups Parsley, leaves and stems, roughly chopped
    and packed into the measuring cup
    1 Lime
    Calories: 250
    Protein: 12 g

Great Green Fruity Mix
    2 cups Beet Greens, Red Swiss Chard, Kale, Spinach or a combination,
    roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
    1 Golden Delicious Apple
    1/2 Comice Pear
    10 Strawberries, green tops cut off
    1 cup Coconut Water
    Calories: 255
    Protein: 6 g
    Fiber: 3 g

Great Greens Juice
    2 Green Apples
    2-3 cups Spinach
    6-8 leaves Swiss Chard
    1 Cucumber
    4 stalks Celery
    1/2 Fennel Bulb
    1 bunch Basil
    Calories: 329 kcal
    Protein: 16 g

Green Juice
    6 leaves Kale
    2 cups Spinach
    1/2 Cucumber
    4 stalks Celery
    2 Apples
    1” Ginger root
    Calories: 180
    Protein: 12 g

Green Lemonade
    1 Green Apple
    3 handfuls Spinach, 1.5 cup
    6-8 Kale leaves, 2 cups
    1/2 Cucumber
    4 Celery Stalks
    1/2 Lemon
    Calories: 210
    Lemon Lime
    1 Lemon
    1 Lime
    2 Asian Pears
    2 Green Apples
    2 Carrots
    2 cups Purple Cabbage
    Calories: 410
    Protein 7 g
    Fiber 1 g

Mexican-Style Jugo
    2 large Cucumbers
    4 cups Cilantro, leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed
    into the measuring cup
    1 Lime
    1 Poblano Pepper, ribs and seeds removed
    1 Golden Delicious Apple
    Calories: 200
    Protein: 8 g

Minty-Fresh Berry
    2 cups Blueberries
    2 Kiwi Fruit
    16 Strawberries
    2 cups Mint leaves, packed into the measuring cup
    Calories: 319
    Protein: 5 g
    Fiber: 4 g
    Purple Power Juice
    6 cups Concord Grapes
    1 Golden Delicious Apple
    2 2 x 2” pieces Ginger
    1/2 cup Blackberries
    Calories: 480
    Protein: 4 g
    Fiber: 1.5 g

Refreshing Fennel-Pear
    2 Comice Pears
    2 medium Fennel Bulbs
    Calories: 306
    Fiber: 3 g
    Spinach-Fennel-Cucumber
    1 Fennel Bulb
    1 Cucumber
    3 Celery Stalks
    3 cups Spinach
    Calories: 170

Sunset Blend Juice
    1 large Sweet Potato
    1 medium Carrot
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    2 large Red Beets
    2 Golden Delicious Apples
    1 Orange, optional
    Calories: 436

Sweet N Tart Citrus
    3 cups Cranberries
    2 2 x 2” pieces Ginger
    3 Oranges
    2 small Ruby Red Grapefruit
    2 Limes
    Calories: 500
    Fiber: 9 g

V28
    3 large Red Beets
    2 medium Carrots
    2 stalks Celery
    4 Plum Tomatoes
    4 cups Parsley, leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
    1 Jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
    12 Red Radishes
    Calories: 340
    Protein: 17 g

Fresh Garden – Tastes just like a fresh garden in your glass.
    (Makes approximately 16 oz.)
    Spinach – 3 oz. = good handful
    Romaine Lettuce – 3 oz. = 3 very large outer leaves
    Celery – 3 oz. = 1 and 1/2 large sticks
    Carrots with tops removed– 8 oz. = 4 medium
    Cucumber peeled – 8 oz. = 2 medium

Kickin Salsa Verde – Bored with juice? Need a wake up? Here you go! Warning – Itsa spicy!
    (Makes approximately 28 oz.)
    Green Pepper with stems removed– 8 oz. = 2 medium
    Cilantro – 2 oz. = medium handful
    Green Onion (white and green parts) – 2
    Jalapeno – 1/2 inch slice
    Tomato – 16 oz. = 3 super large
    Mash 1/2 Avocado, put in blender, add some juice from recipe, blend till smooth and add to the rest of the mix.
    Add 1 teaspoon taco seasoning to juice and a squeeze of lime wedge to the mix.

Sweet Starry Greens – This is smooth, sweet, with a light green taste.
    (Makes approximately 16 oz.)
    Spinach – 3 oz. = good handful
    Star Fruit – 8 oz. = 2 fruits
    Pineapple with most rind removed – 4 oz. = 1 inch slice

Veggie Tray – Tastes like your drinking down the whole veggie tray.
    Cauliflower – 12 oz. = about 1/3 head
    Broccoli including stem – 12 oz. = about 1/3 head
    Carrots with tops removed– 12 oz. = 6 medium
    Celery – 12 oz. = 2 and 1/2 large sticks
    Add 1/4 teaspoon dry or fresh chopped dill to the mix.

Hawaiian Sunrise – Gives you a burst of citrus with a Hawaiian Island twist. Our most favorite of the juice fast recipes.
    Grapefruit peeled – 24 oz. = 2 very large
    Pineapple with most rind removed – 16 oz. = 2 inch slice
    Orange peeled – 24 oz. = 6 medium

Sweet Robust Italiano – This is a smooth tasting with a hint of sweetness, like a fine red Italian dish.
    (Makes 2 Liters) – Randy loves Italian food!
    Spinach – 9 oz. = 3 good handfuls
    Carrots with tops removed – 12 oz. = almost all of a 1 lb. bag
    Bell Peppers with stems removed, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange – 4oz each, 12 oz. total = 3 medium peppers
    Italian Parsley – 2 oz. = medium handful
    Celery – 1/2 of whole stalk split down the middle
    Tomato – 22oz. = 3 super large tomatoes
    Add 2 hearty shakes of hot sauce and 1 teaspoon of tajin Clasico Seasoningto the mix.

V-Gr8 (great) – A heartier, more healthy version of V-8.
    (Makes 26 oz.)
    Spinach – 9 oz. = 3 good handfuls
    Carrots with tops removed – 8 oz. = 2 large
    Beet Root – 1 oz. = 1/8 of a large root
    Green Onion – 1 (including green and white part)
    Celery – 4 oz. = 1 1/2 sticks
    Italian Parsley - 2 oz. = handful
    Tomato – 16 oz. = 2 super large tomatoes
    Add 1/2 teaspoon of tajin Clasico Seasoning to the mix.

Martian Martini – Nice mellow green taste.
    (Makes 16 0z.)
    Kale – 6oz. = 6 large leaves
    Cucumber peeled – 8 oz. = 1 medium
    Green Pepper with stem removed – 4 oz. = 1 medium
    Celery – 2 large outer sticks
    Ginger – about 1 inch square

Popeye’s Favorite - Tastes just like a seasoned spinach salad with all the fixings.
    (Makes 26 oz.)
    Spinach – 1 lb
    Romaine – 12 oz. = about 12 large leaves
    Tomato – 4 oz. = 1 small
    Cucumber peeled – 4 oz = half of a medium
    Carrots with tops removed – 4 oz. = 2 skinny carrots
    Radish with tops removed – 2 oz. = 2 medium small
    Add 1 teaspoon tajin Clasico Seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.

Southern Garden – Doesn’t taste like collard greens, more like vegetable soup. This is a good recipe for using up a lot of extras.
    (Makes 26 oz.)
    Collard Greens – 4 oz. = 2 large leaves
    Romaine Lettuce – 8 oz. = about 8 large leaves
    Carrot with tops removed – 4 oz = 2 skinny
    Cauliflower – 4 oz. = small handful
    Egg Plant – 4 oz. = about a 2 inch slice of a large plant
    Green, Red, Yellow Pepper with tops removed – 4 oz. each = 3 very small or 3 halves
    Tomato – 4 oz. = 1 small
    Add fresh ground black pepper to taste and one hearty shake of hot sauce to mix.

Bright Baby Carrot – Tastes just like fresh baby carrots pulled from the garden, bright beautiful orange, and my new fav. :)
    (Makes 16 oz.)
    Star Fruit – 8 oz. = 2 fruits
    Orange Bell Pepper with stem removed – 6 to 8 oz. = 1 large
    Carrots with tops removed – 8 oz. = 4 skinny carrots

Pretty in Pink Party Drink – Tastes like a strawberry banana smoothie!
    (Makes 26 oz. Sorry about the name guys, but Randy didn’t right down the recipe, so I get to name it) :)
    Strawberries – 1 16 oz. package with tops removed
    After juicing strawberries, pour into blender with 1 cup of orange juice and 1 whole medium banana.
    Blend to liquefy.

Green Apple – Tastes much like a creamy Granny Smith apple.
    (Makes 26 oz.)
    Kiwi peeled – 2 preferably still firm, not quiet to peak of ripeness – you’ll have more sour than sweet this way
    Star Fruit not completely ripe – 8 oz. = 2 fruits
    Egg Plant unpeeled- 8 0z. = about a 4 – 5 inch slice
    Cucumber unpeeled – 4 oz. = 1 medium

Flamin Tiger – Bright orange and a little sweet with savory tomato heat – my newest fav!
    (Makes 40 oz.)
    Red Bell Pepper with top removed – 8 to 10 oz. = 1 extra large
    Yellow Bell Pepper with top removed – 16 to 20 oz. = 2 extra large
    Carrots with tops removed – 12 0z. = about 6 carrots
    Tomato – 12 oz. = 1 large
    Add about 5 shakes/twists of fresh cracked black pepper and 3 hefty shakes of hot sauce to the mix.

Orange Dreamsicle – Sweet, creamy, with a hint of orange.
    (Makes 35 – 40 oz.)
    Cantaloupe – 1/2 of fruit peeled and seeded
    White Nectarines - 3 with pit removed
    Pour into blender, add 1 Banana, 1 cup of orange juice, and liquefy.

Tasty Tangy Kale :) – The kale is toned down by the romaine and celery, while the tomatoes add tang and the carrots add a hint of sweet, ginger spices it up.
    (Makes 28 oz.)
    Kale – 6 oz. = 6 large leaves
    Romaine – 6 oz. = 6 large leaves
    Celery – 6 oz. = 2 large sticks
    Carrots with tops removed – 8 oz. = about 3 large
    Ginger – 1 piece comparable to the size of the tip of your thumb
    Tomato – 12 0z. = 1 extra large

After Dinner Sweet Melon Mint – Creamy, sweet, minty melon.
    (Makes 35 – 40 oz.)
    Fresh Mint Leaves – 2 oz. = small handful
    Pineapple mostly peeled – 12 oz = about 1/2 of medium pineapple
    Egg Plant peeled – 8 oz. = about 1/2 of a large to medium sized plant
    Honey Dew – 3 lbs = 1/2 of medium to large melon
    Recipe for Christine’s Yummy Juice
    3 handfuls of spinach (yes, spinach! I put it in almost everything I make because I worry I’m not getting enough calcium during this juice fast and spinach has lots of calcium. If I run out of spinach I use kale.)
    1/2 cantaloupe
    1/2 honey dew melon
    1 mango
    16 oz. strawberries

Lisa’s Sweet Potato & Apple
    (Makes about 15 oz.)
    1 large sweet potato, scrubbed, unpeeled, cut in three inch slices
    2 apples
    Add cinnamon to garnish – reminds me of fall!

My Miss Scarlett – Rich red, tangy, and doesn’t have a strong beet flavor. Another of my top favorites!
    Beet – one 4 oz. = medium to large
    Bell Pepper – 2 red, 1 green, all medium to large = about 24 oz. total
    Roma Tomatoes – four 4 oz tomatoes = 16 oz. total

Mean Green Juice (original)
    This is the official recipe used by Joe Cross and Phil Staples according to the Reboot Program.
    6 Kale Leaves
    1 Cucumber
    4 Celery Stalks
    2 Green Apples
    1/2 Lemon
    1 piece of ginger

Mean Green Juice #2
    handful spinach
    3 stalks of kale
    2 golden delicious apples
    small handful parsley
    1 lemon
    1 cucumber
    Mean Green Juice #3
    2 stalks celery
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 apple
    1/2 lemon
    small piece ginger
    1/2 green chard leaf
    bunch cilantro
    5 kale leaves
    handful spinach
    Mean Green Juice #4
    1/2 pear
    1/2 green apple
    handful spinach
    handful parsley
    2 celery stalks
    1/2 cucumber
    small piece ginger
    slice of papaya

NOTES FOR MAKING JUICE
    • peel or slice off lemon rind leaving some of the white pith
    • to juice small leaves such as parsley and cilantro, roll them up into a ball to compact the leaves
    • wash all vegetables and fruits before making juice
    • buy organic if possible

How to break the fast?

Here is an example:
    • Day 1
    Two pieces of fruit. Each piece of fruit is divided in half so there are four servings for that day.
    • Day 2
    Lightly steamed non-starchy vegetables, such as spinach.
    • Day 3
    Brown rice, fresh salad.
    • Day 4
    Organic yogurt, unflavored and unsweetened. Eggs.
    • Day 5
    Meat, chicken, fish, tofu, if eaten.
    • Day 6
    Beans, other grains may be introduced, if eaten.
    • Day 7
    Other foods, as desired.

Common Non-starchy Vegetables

Amaranth or Chinese spinach
    Artichoke
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Baby corn
    Bamboo shoots
    Beans (green, wax, Italian)
    Bean sprouts
    Beets
    Brocolli
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage (green, bok choy, Chinese)
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chayote
    Coleslaw (packaged, no dressing)
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    Hearts of palm
    Jicama
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)
    Sprouts
    Squash (cushaw, summer, crookneck, zucchini)
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Turnips
    Water chestnuts
    Yard-long beans

My sincere thanks to all the original known and unknown contributors in my reboot program.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on the juice fasts / cleanses / detoxes.

-The weight loss is coming from a significant calorie deficit.
    -They are not going to make you any healthier than by eating whole foods
    -Your level of satiety is going to be low while essentially drinking all of your calories instead of chewing them; additionally the low fat / protein content is going to work against your level of satiety as well.

It's all personal preference. The quick weight loss these people experienced is primarily water weight lost, which will eventually come back as you reintroduce different / higher levels carbohydrates and sodium back into your diet.

If you're really interested in a crash diet, check out Lyle McDonalds RFL protocol which he states in his foreword, something to the effect that he doesn't support crash diets but realizes people are going to do them; so if you must, this is the safest way to do it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

There are other places you can read more about RFL if you look around a little.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @ Memega - Great info, thanks :)
  • scottbaron
    scottbaron Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started my Juice fast today. I am going to go for seven days getting 100% of my calories from the juice. Logging each meal will be tough, just going to do a quick calories add for each meal with the sum of the fruits and veggies I use.

Awesome info memega!
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I rebooted for the first time back in October, i did a 15 day standard reboot, which allows you to eat a vegan diet, mostly plant based. I know theres a lot of people who use the protein part as an excuse, but consider this, it is called a fast for a reason. you're not supposed to drink nothing but juice for the rest of your life. It is a fast. As in "a certain amount of time" Now that said, protein wise, it doesnt affect your body. The first 3 days were very tough cause your body goes through a cleansing period but on the 4th day, you're a brand new person. Healthier, happier. I actually went on 30 days instead of the 15th. I felt on top of the world!! I had tons of energy and i was genuinely happier, i didnt need any more antidepressants! My cholesterol and triglycerides went down significantly, my skin looked better, i had a glow!!
    Who wants to give up a feeling that wonderful? After my reboot was done, i decided to incorporate it into my daily routine and my mil went along with me. For her, her hair got thicker, fuller and she had an overall feeling of health.

then in december i tried to fast, and even with a vegan diet it was tough! I only lasted 3 days before i had to eat something..but if you can tough it out DO IT!! seriously, i now drink about 50 oz a day plus food and i feel great. so hard to describe, but i promise you it is one of the best feelings in the world!! my energy level is unparallel and my mood..well i actually tried to get mad the other day on purpose cause nothing faced me!

As far as the tastes goes, i defnitely recommend the mean green juice, it isnt the best tasting but it's great for your body. If you're picky, start with stuff you like and get adventurous as you progress. Feel free to add me, i love making juicehead friends!!

Also i should add, i lost 10 lbs by introducing juices into my lifestyle. And no, you do not get hungry. Juice are just as satisfying if not more so than regular meals, you dont feel stuffed when juicing. And no, this is not a crash diet. Its a lifestyle geared towards wellness. It should not be looked into as a tool to magically make lbs disappear. Try it on for its health benefits, you will not regret it.
  • sdlr4592
    sdlr4592 Posts: 95
    Options
    Cndressing: I added you. I'm gonna be a couple days before I'm able to start, but maybe we could do it together?

Memega: Wow! Loads of information. Thank you!

Scottbaron: I believe I am going to add you. If you aren't opposed. When I attempt my juice fast though, I don't think I'll log my calories. Seems like too much work and I'm a lazy bones. That would be how I got into this condition. lol. Good luck with it all though! Let me know how you're food cravings go!

Nani726: I sent you a request. I agree 100% with what you're saying here. Thousands of people around the world fast with less than the nutrients I'll be getting from the juice. I'm not sure exactly how tough I am. I'm looking forward to finding that out. I'm definitely in that picky category, but I'm hoping that the juice fast will cleanse my pallet a little and make it easier for me to branch out. Thank you for sharing!
  • HuntingArpegius
    HuntingArpegius Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely gonna try this!
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Amazing research. Thanks!!!
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :happy: Good Info! My doctor has fasted regularly for many years and he teaches meditation and breathing exercises. The one thing I always tell him is that since I have known him he has never gained more than 1 or 2 pounds. This past Wednesday, he told me to start fasting next week for at least 7 days or more if I could stand it. I have to also check in with him once a week. If I had listened to him years ago, i wouldn't have to be on this site.LOL! His friends thought he was crazy when he went into preventative medicine almost 40 years ago. Now just about everyone is doing what he has been doing for years. Go figure!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    you will feel amazing but be prepared to shutdown your social life for the period of the cleanse!
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yay!! im excited for you!! Im not going to lie to you, it will be hard, if you can (or havent yet) start eliminating processed foods, soft drinks, carbs, meats, caffeine.. sounds like fun, right? LOL! it will make it easier on you though.

Have you got a juicer yet? heres a personal favorite of mine, its simple and not a bad way to get you started on the whole juicing thing, its a bit loaded with sugar but you gotta start somewhere, right? 3 oranges, 1 carrot. Pour over ice. Its super yummy! even my kids drink it.
    Im no expert but ive been there so i know what you're going through, dont hesitate to get in touch with me if you have questions or if you wanna ***** about how bad it sucks! :D

Start simple, 1-2 ingredients so you can get used to the texture and taste and add a not so fave veggie (in small portions) to a favorite juice :) that helped me a lot! Also investing in straws..i despise beets but they go down easier if drank through a straw! lol

Btw, the weight loss is a wonderful side effect so count on losing .5 to 1lb a day while fasting!!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I was having digestive tract issues. My doctor recommended probiotics and a juice fast. The first day was hard, but it got easier. I felt wonderful. I planned to do it for 3 or 4 days, but I felt so good I kept going for seven days. That was enough time for me. The fast wiped out any cravings I had. I felt like I was starting fresh. I didn't do it for weight loss and didn't notice any change on the scale.

I recommend trying to eat very clean in the days before you start the cleanse. It will help your body adjust.
  • memega
    Options
    For anyone planning to start a juice fast or simply curious, few points from my experience during those 31 days are listed here:

First something I did that I'm not proud of. After deciding on a date to start the program, with a day left to go, I went and had a late night dinner - a huge porterhouse steak with all possible sides available from Outback. Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't have! Although now I do feel stupid about it, it certainly felt real good at that time :smile: Still not sure how it would have affected my reboot.

So a day after, I started my detox. I was strict through out the next 31 days. Not even a single mistake made as far as I can remember.

1. I felt hungry most of the time for the 1st 3 days. My solution was to drink more juice.
    2. Bowel movements went crazy for these 3 days. I expected it, so was not alarmed. Had a gallon of water daily.
    3. By the 4th day, things became normal. No more issues listed above.
    4. I was no longer feeling as hungry as before. Only problem was resisting temptation. Sight was still ok, but the smell of food was very tempting.
    5. I started to love shopping for fresh produce. Seeing my refrigerator full of bright colorful fresh fruits and vegetables including a variety of green leafy veggies was very encouraging.
    6. I had fun experimenting with different juice recipes. Increased my veggies to almost 85% compared to fruits. Green apples became a standard ingredient. Learned that Ginger and/or Lemon can save any juice disaster.
    7. Weight loss started slow in the first week but peaked at 3rd week and started to slowly reduce during the 4th week.
    8. Instantly noticeable effects besides weight loss, was on my skin. Subtle spots vanished and visible spots started to lighten significantly and skin started to become real soft!
    9. Started to sleep better and longer - than my usual 6hrs. Felt active throughout the day. It was as if I was no longer carrying a huge backpack.
    10. Finally, I was able to quit smoking, only this time for good.

Once I stopped dieting and slowly eased into eating salads and finally normal food, I gained back 3 - 4 Kg in a span of 3 weeks. Don't know if it was thanks to a vacation to India shortly after to attend a dear friend's wedding or my body recuperating and readjusting back to its normal self. Either ways, once I was back, I decided to eat clean and work towards getting fitter and healthier. And now, I'm here!
  • sdlr4592
    sdlr4592 Posts: 95
    Options
    Memega: That's a great story! Very motivational. :)

And Noni726: You're gonna be sick of me before this is over. I'm one of those question people. And not that you've extended an open hand in answering whatever questions I have, I'll be sure to ask anything I might be wondering about as I go through the whole process. Thank you so much for your support. :) And you know all that stuff I'm supposed to be eliminating? That's pretty much my entire diet. Ridiculous, isn't it? But that's exactly how picky I am when it comes to *gasps* ...fruits and veggies. lol.Thank you for all your great advice though (And you too Memega!). Unfortunately, I don't have a juicer yet. I was looking up some different models and there are so many of them! I had no idea. And I don't have a clue what I'm looking for. I also don't want to shell out $200. I just don't have that kind of money. What kind of juicer do you have?
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i'd love to do a juice fast. i don't think i'd do it for 60 days, that's just crazy... but i need to get rid of kids and responsibilities for a week, which ain't going to happen, so i just can't do it, while still having to function in the real world.

so, i just have a juice every now and then. i love to start the day with a juice, i feel great. it's filling, and refreshing, quick and easy. i love being able to eat half of my fruit & veg allowance before 9am... some days i'll have a juice for breakfast, and then another for lunch, but by tea time, i need actual food.!
  • Cndressing
    Options
    I just started my juice fast yesterday I wasn't hungry at all all day I was just so used to eating or chewing that that was the hardest thing for me. The smell of food was hard to ignore, but I felt good. My mind was the worst thing to get over, but after I got done with the first day It gave me confidence. I think I can do it! ^_^