Runners: Long Run Question

Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
So I'm not super new to running, but I'm definitely new to the longer distances. I'm training for my first half marathon (March 31!) and did a 12 mile long run today.

So here's my question: Is it normal to feel sick after a long run?

.5 mile warm-up, 11 mile run, .5 mile cool-down, had a gu every hour and a banana when I was finished - have used gu before and never had a problem, plenty of water today, felt fine before, no greasy foods yesterday or today, and now I feel icky...thoughts?

I did 10 miles last week and felt fine, 9 a couple weeks ago and felt fine, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I did that I shouldn't have or if it's just normal for your body to be in rebellion after 12 miles of awesomeness.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It's not normal to feel sick but if this is the first time it happened I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes things like this happen to everybody. If it happens again though you should start looking for the common denominator to determine the cause.

Good job on the run.
  • Laura86
    Laura86 Posts: 11
    When I first started distance running I would get a little sick to my stomach on long runs or during speed workouts, but it doesn't happen too often anymore. I think for me it was just getting my body used to doing some tough workouts. I read in a magazine that often people get sick to their stomachs from running just because of all the jostling that happens in your stomach, so it might just be something that takes a little time for your stomach to get used to, but I wouldn't worry much about it! Good luck on your half marathon!
  • lucky_74
    lucky_74 Posts: 30
    The first time I did a long run (16k) and my next several long runs after I was so sick afterwards. It hit about 45 mins after my run ended and it hit hard!!! My stomach filled with air, I felt like I was going to throw up and the cramping started. It turns out that there was too much acid in my body. I worked too hard and at too high of a heart rate.

A couple of things that I do now to prevent this:
    1. I run at a lower heart rate when I do my long runs
    2. I drink a recovery drink immediately after my run. OR if you don't have a drink eat a banana.

I hope this helps you!!!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Could be overfeeding. I've had a few runs in my time where i've felt a bit horrible because i havent given my food enough time to settle. At my first half they were giving out carb gels and recovery bars and i ate them all before the race. Whoops! Learnt a valuable lesson about not breaking your rituals though that day!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    What time of day were you running? How long before your run (and what) did you eat?

Last year when I was building up for my half I experimented with gel packs and came to the conclusion that (for me) by carb loading a bit during the week and eating a decent breakfast (peanut butter on whole wheat toast / banana / yogurt) about 3 hrs before my run that I didn't need the gels (your body has enough stored glycogen to get you through a 13.1 mile run). They didn't make me feel ill but my stomach felt a bit full after the gel pack & water and (again - this is just me, everyone is different) I prefer to run on an empty stomach.

How much water did you drink leading up to and during the run?

BTW - keep up the good work, my first race isn't until the end of May so I'm just starting to build up my long runs again.
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    I'm not sure what you mean that you felt icky? Do you mean you were having stomach issues or were you feeling that blah feeling like a cold is coming on?

One thing that does come to mind (likely unrelated to your original question) - are you taking in any protein after your run? I saw that you had a banana afterward, which is great. It's also good to have a little protein in there to help with muscle recovery. Also, one banana might not be quite enough carbs for recovery. Just another thought.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    lucky - when I was in high school my doctor did tell me I have an acid imbalance in my stomach, so I can't eat a lot of oranges, tomatoes, etc...because it makes me sick, so maybe I just sloshed up too much acid and that's what it was.

Brian - we started our run at 3 in the afternoon. For breakfast I ate some eggs in a whole wheat tortilla with a little salsa about 10 and didn't eat anything else before the run. I can't run with anything in my stomach, especially peanut butter I've learned, so I just try to make sure I've had adequate nutrition the day before and try to allow myself enough time after eating to make sure my food has been digested. I drank probably 5 8oz. glasses of water during the morning/early afternoon and had my 24oz. bottle with me during the run that was empty by the time I got back.

trlrnrgrl - by icky I mean I felt like I was going to puke. The banana I ate on the way home - I did eat some protein and some more carbs when I got home, though.

Thanks for the suggestions! It may have just been a fluke. I guess we'll see what happens next week!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    It's not normal to feel sick but if this is the first time it happened I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes things like this happen to everybody. If it happens again though you should start looking for the common denominator to determine the cause.

Good job on the run.

^^^ this

I've never experienced it myself, but I wouldn't become concerned until you see a pattern forming. It may just have happened this time for whatever reason: your body's reaction to the long run / more Gu than you're used to, or you may be coming down with something... who knows. Give it another go and then start playing around with the variables if it happens again.

Happy running! :flowerforyou: