what to eat instead of carbs?

Options
I eat like Kashi Strawberry fields cereal for breakfast and a sandwich on whole wheat bread and like a soy protein drink or Boca party with veggies and I average about 60% carbs, I'm usually over on my carb goal. What are some things that are no carbs or low carbs, I know some carbs are good but I just don't want to consume so much of them. The only fruits I like are peaches, apples, strawberries, bananas, and grapes which are all pretty high in sugar which I am trying to lower too. Any help? Thanks

Replies

• Barbie1125
    Barbie1125 Posts: 115
    Options
    Do you eat meat?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Protein! Nuts, beans, lean meats, dairy! Even some grains are good for protein, like quinoa.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    We can tell you what you want to know but what I suggest is you go to a grocery store, and get to know food. Read some labels and eventually you'll be correcting your diet.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Use whey protein instead of soy protein. Much fewer carbs.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    berries are actually some of the lowest sugar fruits.

As to what to eat instead of carbs:

Replace pasta with spaghetti squash. I love the way this stuff tastes and its really easy to make.

Breakfast ideas: eggs, bacon, smoothies with half an avocado and berries with some coconut milk and/or yogurt.

Cut out the bread and put all of the sandwich fillings onto a salad. A can of tuna with some salad fixings makes an awesome lunch.

See how different foods affect your carb intake and make adjustments as you see fit!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    omelet for breakfast. 1 egg some grated cheese, deli ham meat and mushrooms. add some seasoning. yum.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight going high carb/low fat, or high fat/low carb. Personally I prefer the latter. It just tastes better. Good fats, though, like coconut, avocado, etc... not candy bars :P
    try reducing your carbs and replacing those carbs you took out with health fat and lots of protein :)
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Mix greek yoghurt with almond butter. As others have said - nuts

I make a smoothie with half avocado, half banana, and coconut milk.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    anything that can be a sandwich can be a salad... I've made hamburger salads, veggie burger salads, taco salads... anything, just skip the bread and chop up some extra lettuce. I've even used burger condiments on my hamburger salads, I just kind of whip together mayo and ketchup and use it as a dressing. kinda weird but it all still tastes good to me! plus it takes longer to eat and the lettuce makes it look like more food, even though it's fewer carbs AND calories.

edit cause I can't type >.<
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the suggestions guys. (I am a vegetarian)
  • RCSimmonds
    Options
    Eat yoghurt with your fruit - it's really filling and the protein in it slows down the absorption of the carbs from the fruit.
  • Zarienz
    Zarienz Posts: 60
    Options
    Yoghurt, fruit and vege obviously. Eggs. Nice to limit the amount of bananas per day, highest in carb out of the fruits you consume, but still yum... lol