Protein Supplements WITHOUT artficial

Options
sweeteners?

I'm allergic to Stevia, sucralose, aspartame, etc. I've tried them over and over, but there is no hope.

I looked at a few different protein powders today, but each one I found had sucralose in it.

Are there any protein supplements out there that don't contain the artificial sweeteners?

I'm not trying to use these as a meal, more so at night (like tonight) where I can't eat anymore, but still have too many calories left...

Thanks!

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are some, they can sometimes be described as "natural". Check out this one which I use (from the UK): http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/natural-whey-protein.html
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What about getting an unflavoured one and adding your own flavour? (Like natural vanilla powder, sugar, cocoa etc) Or just mixing it into food so you don't need any sugar.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are some, they can sometimes be described as "natural". Check out this one which I use (from the UK): http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/natural-whey-protein.html

Thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for, now only if I can find it in the US :)
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    What about getting an unflavoured one and adding your own flavour? (Like natural vanilla powder, sugar, cocoa etc) Or just mixing it into food so you don't need any sugar.

I don't care about flavor, as I planned of making it into a smoothie of some sort. However, even unflavored ones I saw still had sucralose. It was last on the list, so I would assume a minor amount, but I can't have any at all.

FWIW I have been searching some out on Amazon, but I'm not having luck. I'm going to try adding natural to the search and see how that works.
  • stu_35
    stu_35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The one that comes to mind right now is SunWarrior's Natural Warrior Blend. Ingredients are quite simple: Sunwarrior Proprietary Protein Blend (Raw Pea Protein, Raw Cranberry Protein, Raw Hemp Protein), Medium Chain Triglycerides.

The Vanilla and Chocolate flavors have stevia, but the natural doesn't.

BTW - Stevia isn't an artificial sweetener
  • stu_35
    stu_35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Stevia is not an artificial sweetner - might still not agree with you, but it is a natural sweetner.....
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Good luck. They probably taste like crap! LOL I use an all natural one that is awesome by MRM but it has stevia in it. Might just wanna stick with nuts, proteins, etc. :)
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I'll look into Sun Warrior, Thanks!

I understand Stevia is not artificial, but that is the one I am allergic to the most. It's not fun, and you don't realize how much stuff has Stevia or artificial sugars until you are allergic...
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    sweeteners?

I'm allergic to Stevia, sucralose, aspartame, etc. I've tried them over and over, but there is no hope.

I looked at a few different protein powders today, but each one I found had sucralose in it.

Are there any protein supplements out there that don't contain the artificial sweeteners?

I'm not trying to use these as a meal, more so at night (like tonight) where I can't eat anymore, but still have too many calories left...

Thanks!

Stevia isn't an artificial sweetener. And how can you have an allergy to "etc." I get that you don't like them, but an "allergy" is a medical condition that is pretty serious and sometimes suddenly life-threatening, so if you had one diagnosed you wouldn't "try them over and over." Sucralose and aspartame, plus saccarine, are artificial. Stevia is as natural as sugar.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

I don't care about flavor, as I planned of making it into a smoothie of some sort. However, even unflavored ones I saw still had sucralose. It was last on the list, so I would assume a minor amount, but I can't have any at all.

FWIW I have been searching some out on Amazon, but I'm not having luck. I'm going to try adding natural to the search and see how that works.

Adding "natural" to the search won't keep out ones with stevia. It's as natural as sugar.
  • jjarrettc
    jjarrettc Posts: 14
    Options
    I use Brown Rice Protein powder on some days and other days Hemp protein powder. Both available at Whole Foods here in the US. Both are all natural and pure (just one ingredient). They both taste pretty reasonable. I like the hemp protein the best. It's actually from Canada. Here in the US hemp is still banned (since our government is so hung up on it). Give them a try, I think you will like them both.

John
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    sweeteners?

Thanks!

Stevia isn't an artificial sweetener. And how can you have an allergy to "etc." I get that you don't like them, but an "allergy" is a medical condition that is pretty serious and sometimes suddenly life-threatening, so if you had one diagnosed you wouldn't "try them over and over." Sucralose and aspartame, plus saccarine, are artificial. Stevia is as natural as sugar.

<sigh> Yes, I am allergic. We have tried (with my doctor's supervision in the office) different types of sweeteners to determine severity. We tried Splenda, reaction happened. A few weeks later we tried Aspartame, again reaction. I have had numerous tests done in regards to this. I'm allergic to few other things food related, but the sweeteners are the worse.

I actually don't mind the taste, and I want to like them, because it would open my options up greatly. Unless you are a doctor, or allergic to them yourself, I don't think you have the right to ridicule me... I asked for help finding a protein supplement that had no artificial sweeteners or any sweetener at all. If you care to discuss my allergy, I'll be more than free to converse via message.
  • justagirl2013
    Options

Adding "natural" to the search won't keep out ones with stevia. It's as natural as sugar.

Obviously, I am discovering that now...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

i dont think people go around saying theyre allergic to things that they simply dont like... natural or not.
  • justagirl2013
    Options
    I use Brown Rice Protein powder on some days and other days Hemp protein powder. Both available at Whole Foods here in the US. Both are all natural and pure (just one ingredient). They both taste pretty reasonable. I like the hemp protein the best. It's actually from Canada. Here in the US hemp is still banned (since our government is so hung up on it). Give them a try, I think you will like them both.

John

I'm confused. The SunWarrior that was posted has hemp in it, and I'm able to get it at a natural foods store 1.5 hours away. Or is it just pure hemp that is banned?

I will check both of those out and see. As I said, taste does not matter to me. I'd prefer it doesn't taste disgusting, but I need a way to increase my protein/calories at the end of the day occasionally.

Thanks for the advice!
  • justagirl2013
    Options

i dont think people go around saying theyre allergic to things that they simply dont like... natural or not.

Thank you!
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into peanut flour? I have only just heard about it so haven't tried it yet, but people were raving about it on the blog I read. Chia seeds also add protein and are very high in fibre. iherb.com is a great site for buying supplements from if you are struggling to find things on Amazon.
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they're available in the US as yet, but maybe there's something similar or could help others looking at this post.

I just found trek bars, no nasties / additivies of any kind (i.e. syrups etc). Just raw fruit, raw nuts and oats which give you 11g protein per bar and they taste awesome.

http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/store/trek-energy-bars/default.aspx

Gluten and dairy free.

Also filling in a good sticky ribs kinda way to keep you going post excercise, but not weigh you down.