Location location location

Options
I have looked at the groups offered and sign up for a couple. One of them
Is emotional eaters. However, I'm not sure if that covers it. The way my house is arranged I have
to go through my kitchen frequently, and while I'm there. . . .
I quit smoking years ago with the first try. From a chain smoker to nonsmoker
No looking back. But you can't just quit eating.
I really need your help in this. I'm eatin when I'm happy, sad, hungry, see an ad on tv, and when near the kitchen.
HELP!

Replies

• ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Don't leave anything out that will tempt you as you are walking through the kitchen. Better yet, don't buy anything that will tempt you as you are walking through your kitchen. Leave a bowl of yummy fruit on the table and grab an apple. If i know there is a bag of cookies in my cupboard i would eat them. But if there is nothing it wont bother me. Have a good day my friend.
  • danihonline
    Options
    I have taped a motivational picture of how I want my body to look when I reach my goal on my refrigerator door. I've taken everything else off the door so I have to look at it before I make the choice to put something in my mouth that I shouldn't. It has really helped me take a second and think about it before I eat.
    Good luck!
  • infractusspeculum
    Options
    I have same problem, and one of the best decisions I made was to try and limit the amount of junk food in my house, so that when I DID go snack crazy, I could have a little solace knowing that at least it was all healthy. Also, drinking a lot of water throughout the day makes me want to snack less, and gives me something to focus on when I feel an urge to go and eat. If all else fail, use gum :P
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I quit buying "trigger" foods...out of house, out of sight...out of sight, out of mind, easy! I also cleaned up my way of eating...the cravings and desire to snack are gone which really helps with when temptation does knock. Take joy in tossing the junk, lots of power in doing so!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    We all have kitchens. And office break rooms, and birthday parties, and Friday night out with the girls, and anniversaries, and weddings, funerals, potlucks at church or wherever, neighborhood BBQs.

Guess what? We all have to navigate boredom, frustration, anger, fatigue, stress.

If we can do it, you can do it. Food and emotions, or food being available are valid concerns, and something you have to be willing to examine and conquer. There is no easy way, and it takes time and focus.

Acknowledge that and give yourself credit for every good decision, no matter how small. You will have setbacks. Keep going.

Good luck. You CAN do it. I did.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Chew some sugar free gum, yeah I know it sounds like a Biggest Loser Commercial, but it works. The more you resist temptation the easier it gets. You can build up a resistance to all the temptation you get walking through your kitchen. But, the minute you give in your resistance goes back to 0. One thing that I figured out is I was eating all the time before I began a regimented diet. I ate while sitting on my *kitten* watching TV, I ate while driving in my car, I ate whenever I wanted not just when I was hungry. I drink a lot of water, keeps that full feeling, plus many times when you think you are hungry you are really thirsty. I call that killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Instead of sitting on my *kitten* in the house I would go out and do something, go to the gym, go for a walk, a jog, a run. *kitten* I would even go shopping for newer clothes that fit. I hope this helps. Good Luck
  • jennieemily
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I call it mindless eating. I just eat without thinking about it, and then when I log the calories, I nearly have a stroke! So what I do now is write everything down ahead of time, and bring food with me rather than eat at work (I'm a cook, that doesn't help!) It takes a lot of planning and a little extra time and effort, but it's worth it for me. If I have it written down, I won't deviate.
    Best of luck to you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I call it mindless eating. I just eat without thinking about it, and then when I log the calories, I nearly have a stroke! So what I do now is write everything down ahead of time, and bring food with me rather than eat at work (I'm a cook, that doesn't help!) It takes a lot of planning and a little extra time and effort, but it's worth it for me. If I have it written down, I won't deviate.
    Best of luck to you!

See! There you go! She works in a kitchen! :laugh:
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Use that dvr mom and fast forward threw the commercials. :)
  • sycetin
    sycetin Posts: 1
    Options
    I assume you had better not to enter emotional mode called ''i am on diet''.

As soon as you are in that mood your body alerts it is in hunger.

Leave that mode and say I am OK and lets get health !
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I try to write everything down before I eat it. Helps me to think before I eat.