Pilates -v- Yoga

Options
Hey,

Just wondering which people thought was better - pilates, or yoga?

I'm wanting to do one or the other to help with my stretching and flexibility, but also because I have a bad back and from what I've heard they both help with posture and can be beneficial in eradicating back pain - but I'm not sure which one is better!

My knowledge of this type of workout is limited so any advice/information you guys may have would be much appreciated! I'm probably going to do it at home rather than at the gym classes purely due to scheduling so if anyone also has any particular DVD they'd recommend, that'd be awesome :)

Thanks guys and Happy Sunday! x

Replies

• mjhartness
    mjhartness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have tried both, for me......I prefer Yoga, I do Hatha yoga for stretching, flexibility, balance and breathing. If you are struggling with back issues, I would suggest you meet with a certified yoga instructor or pilates instructor before you start out........you can seriously hurt yourself if you do some of the poses with the wrong form. I wasn't a fan of pilates, but I have friends who love it.....

Are you doing strength exercises too? Best of luck in your decision. As for DVD's, I have one from Bob from biggest loser for yoga.....it's ok.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i teach yoga and pilates and i also do rehab for a chiropractor. i would suggest starting with yoga. it is not uncommon that people have back pain due to flexibility issues in their hamstrings and hip flexors. yoga will open up both. it will also provide some gentle core conditioning, which is the next source of back pain. try it for a few weeks and see how your symptoms progress. you want to start with hatha yoga. a great video for this is "yoga for dummies" you might be able to check it out at your local library.
    once you feel your flexibility improve you might seek out a beginners "mat" class (pilates) to work on stabilizing your lower back and abs.
    best wishes to you on your journey!
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga for stretching, flexibility and relaxation however I keep telling myself I need to get into Pilates. I did one class when I was away - a girlfriend dragged me along - I was shocked at how sore I was the next day... the class didn't seem that hard... It must work REALLY well!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. You can take "gentle" classes to start, and then work you way into very rigorous "power yoga." I take three or four power yoga classes each week, and I can't believe the change in my muscle tone and flexibility. I have muscles, and I look fit at 51 years old. Good luck:happy:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did pilates for a year and found it really helped my breathing (am a singer) and diaphragm strength and flexibility. I haven't really managed to get into yoga. I think it's quite easy in comparison, but maybe that depends on the type of yoga you do.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    i teach yoga and pilates and i also do rehab for a chiropractor. i would suggest starting with yoga. it is not uncommon that people have back pain due to flexibility issues in their hamstrings and hip flexors. yoga will open up both. it will also provide some gentle core conditioning, which is the next source of back pain. try it for a few weeks and see how your symptoms progress. you want to start with hatha yoga. a great video for this is "yoga for dummies" you might be able to check it out at your local library.
    once you feel your flexibility improve you might seek out a beginners "mat" class (pilates) to work on stabilizing your lower back and abs.
    best wishes to you on your journey!

This.
    I've taken Hatha Yoga for two years, originally for sports injuries to my lower back and knees. I added pilates chair last summer. I can't say enough about the benefits of either of them towards health.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Both of have some great benefits. It really depends on what kind of person you are and what you are looking to get from your workouts.

I think Yoga can potentially burn a few more calories - but again - it would depend on the type of yoga you are doing as there are a variety.

This is a great article:

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Is-Yoga-or-Pilates-Better-for-You
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    I use my wii fitness board for yoga and LOVE it! you will see a big change in your posture quickly too!
  • princessf1
    princessf1 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fitness board for yoga and LOVE it! you will see a big change in your posture quickly too!

Hey - thank you for the reminder! Looking at my balance board now under the stairs. LOL I had forgotten about the Yoga on Wii fit - will try this out today!
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I think I'll take the advice given and try Hatha Yoga first and then move on to Pilates once I've built up a bit of core strength.

Cheers - Hayley