Swimmers : Do you Swim with Music?

Options
For those of you who are swimmers out there, we all know that lap swimming can get pretty boring. I end up usually thinking about what I want to eat for dinner and then lose track of what number lap I'm on.

Who out there swims with music? If so, what products are you using and what do you like best / least about them?

I noticed that there is a new Waterproof iPod that hit the market this month : (see link below)

http://lavamagazine.com/news/underwater-audio-introduces-ipod-shuffle/#axzz1kI8ufw2h

I feel like this underwater iPod may be pretty cool. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Jess7170
    Jess7170 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Funny, I've thought about swimming with music too. I find that when I'm 'bored enough to lose track' of my laps, I start counting by 50s or 100s (yards) and then try to breathe every 3rd stroke for 50, every 5th stroke for 50, and so on. I can't maintain breathing every 7th stroke for 50 yards yet, but it's fun to try.

I've seen Aqua Finis (sp?) music players and they're kind of neat in that you rest them on your cheekbones to hear. I'd love to hear your opinion on what you end up getting. Good luck in your search!

Here is the info on the Finis Aqua:
    Finis 1.30.048 SwiMP3 Waterproof MP3 Player - SwiMP3.2G 2GB

The SwiMP3 waterproof MP3 player provides the highest quality underwater sound without ear buds, thanks to the revolutionary Bone Conduction audio transmission. With 2GB of storage, aquatic athletes can listen to music, audio books, podcasts and more, all with incredible sound. The SwiMP3 attaches securely to goggle straps, resting on the cheekbones and does not interfere with swimming technique.

I googled it.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have a waterproof case for my iPod shuffle, its the best exercise equipment i ever bought!!
    Its made by h2o audio called IS2 fits 2nd gen shuffle only, think they are only about $30 in USA. They do various other water proof cases if you have an mp3 other than an iPod.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I don't swim with music, mainly because I grew up as a swimmer and there's no way coach would let us do that. I was focusing on getting through his ridiculous workouts back then, but now I distract myself by doing shorter sets. I can't focus for a straight 800 yds like I did back then, but 4 x 200's doesn't seem near as boring, even with little rest in between. I also change it up by adding in a lap or two of backstroke or breastroke when I am just super bored.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good question ( and info!) I've always wanted to swim with music - I think it would help keep me on-pace, and make doing intervals easier.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would never make it through a workout without my Speedo Aquabeat. It really makes swimming 10 times more enjoyable.
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the comments! Really helpful!