Where do you get your recipes?

Options
Good morning all!
I was just browsing around, and I was wondering where you find your low-cal/low-fat and what not recipes? Is there like a certain cook book or website, or are you all just that imaginitive (which I wouldnt put it past anyone!)
But I'd love to know so I might keep some of them around and force my boyfriend to eat healthier too :P
Thanks!
-Chelsea

Replies

• melpix123
    melpix123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia and I use the Healthy Food Guide. I buy it at the newsagents but they also have recipes on their website.

http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/
  • happyandfitgirl
    Options
    skinnytaste is where I get most, if not all, my recipes. Oh, and for desserts I go to chocolate covered Katie's website.
  • azbutterfly1324
    azbutterfly1324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I go to Chocolate Covered Katie's website for dessert recipes too. I also use LOTS of Hungry Girl recipes. I have all her cookbooks, but can find all her recipes online. The Hungry Girl website lists all the books with a list of the recipes; if you Google the recipes, you can usually find them. I loved them all so much that I just bought the books because that was easier for me. Weight Watchers recipes are always good too.
  • Shadowleigh
    Shadowleigh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the website cookinglight.com -- I use it to give myself ideas of food combinations and ways to cook with ehalthy ingredients.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, recipes I post are my own "inventions".
  • I1ahunt
    I1ahunt Posts: 72
    Options
    my wife and I surf the web looking for new ideas...we also try and adapt our "regular" recipes by replacing ingredients with no fat, low fat low calorie....this web page is pretty cool and we have founds a lot of tasty recipes:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love reading blogs with healthy recipes.

Here are just a FEW that I read:

hungry-girl.com
    skinnytaste.com
    ohsheglows.com
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com
    katshealthcorner.wordpress.com

I also have my own blog that you could check out: http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/

If you look at just one website though, let it be FOODGAWKER.COM. Scroll to the bottom and under TAGS click on HEALTHY. I get almost all of my ideas from there!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    We modify our old recipes to try to make them a bit more healthy.
    Websites and apps
    Weight Watchers.

Really, the trick is find those places that provide the nutrition information on their recipes.
    If they don't provide, I don't waste my time!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    400caloriesorless.com
    skinnytaste.com
    hungry-girl.com
    realsimple.com
    supercook.com
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com, foodnetwork.com, pinterest recipe boards...to name a few places!

I often tweak recipes to include more vegetables, less meat, whole grains and less fat. If I'm baking I will replace oil with unsweetened applesauce and low fat dairy is an easy substitute for the full fat versions. And when things call for 1 cup of cheese I try a half a cup first to see if its passable. The recipe builder on MFP is a great tool for tweaking recipes and finding a low-cal combination based on a recipe you have found.

If you are into cook books I suggest Cook Yourself Thin. That was my first cook book and it helped me learn some low-cal cooking tips.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    If I am craving something i usually google a healthier version online. Almost always something comes up.

But i have some cookbooks, cooking light online, eating well online and i get lots of recipes from here.

I have a folder on my desktop for recipes so if something looks good i copy to a word document and save in my cookbook. It is quite large now.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    hungrygirl.com, self.com, eatingwell.com, cookinglight.com Those are my main ones! Good luck!

PS If I had to pick a favorite it would be eatingwell.com
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something i usually google a healthier version online. Almost always something comes up.

But i have some cookbooks, cooking light online, eating well online and i get lots of recipes from here.

I have a folder on my desktop for recipes so if something looks good i copy to a word document and save in my cookbook. It is quite large now.
    Thank this is a great ides, I am going to start a document, all this paper is getting wild. I filled a couple of whole notebooks and I have slips everywhere!!!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    food.com Doesn't have only healthy recipes, so sometimes you can take a not so healthy recipe and tweek it to be healthy. Plus they do have lots of healthy recipes. I love that there are reviews and ratings so I know something is good before I waste my time and money making it.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com and emilybites.com are my go to's:)
  • sb1023
    sb1023 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump! always looking for new recipes:)
  • Nieves78
    Nieves78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com

This is my favorite site so far. It has a lot of old favorite recipes, but with a healthy twist. plus they have recipes for different health issues. my favorite part is the 7- day or 28- day meal plans with recipes to help lose weight. all you have to do is choose your calorie intake goal. and follow the meal plans.
  • PopePopsicleIV
    Options
    Holy wow you guys! thanks so much for the input! Keep 'em coming!
    The desert ones sound awesome, as i can't seem to step away from them quite yet :P
    But I'll definitely have to check them all out sometime!
    Thanks so much :D
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just love Janet and Greta Podleski's "Crazy Plates" cookbook. Although I just discovered it's out of print, I'm sure that you can find it at a used bookstore or online used book website. I've also found that some recipes have also been posted on line by others. (They also wrote Looneyspoons and Eat Shrink and Be Merry.)
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    We modify existing recipes. My biggie is making soups and meals to go in advance and freeze them in lunch size portions - that way I know what I'm getting. Grab a soup, a piece of fruit,, some chia seeds to add to the soup and I've got a dependable lunch.

You can make all your own stock by saving up your chicken bones or turkey bones. I'll just bag and freeze the bones until I'm ready to make stock. Then I'll use the stock to make soups. My favorite are turkey and wild rice, chicken or turkey with kale of other greens, my own verson of chowder in which I substitute sweet potatoes for white potatoes. I use minimal fat.

Trick: Cook your chicken stock, let it cool then put in fridge over night. Next morning what fat there is will lie in a layer on the top. You can just skim it off leaving your stock very low fat and healthy. Good luck.