Salad Dressing ideas

Options
emstgm
emstgm Posts: 117 Member
I love eating salads, and I really love the taste of full flavor (and usually full fat) dressings. I've tried several store bought brands of the light stuff and I'm not a huge fan. What is your favorite kind?

Or do you make your own salad dressing with fewer calories? I'd love ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    I love Regular full fat Bleu Cheese....so when I don't have the calories for that I have 1 tsp. olive oil, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp parmesan and about 1 Tbsp Feta cheese crumbles, some fresh ground pepper and a pinch of sea salt. Yummy.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    I bought a rasberry vinagarette that is sugar free, fat free, zero cal. It is listed in my log two/three days back. It was Maple Grove Farm I believe. It was only like 1.50 a bottle at krogers. I put it on my salad with some toasted almonds and dried cranberries and it was only 96 calories all together ( I don't eat a whole lot of cheese, makes me nauseas)
  • Cthebeach
    Cthebeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put spinach, fresh basil, a little mustard, garlic and a splash of calamata olive juice in a small food processor and mixup. I don't know the calorie count, but it can't be very much. This also is good ontop of a chicken breast.
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i go with fat free ranch. not amazing but much better than raw salad.
  • kayceep
    kayceep Posts: 4
    Options
    That sounds good- I amso like a bit of hot sesame oil and rice wine vinegar together...
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms Honey Dijon is awesome and ZERO calories! Also Maple Farms Sugar Free Raspberry Vinegarette (I think 5 calories per 2T).
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is Annie's Organic Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. It's soooo good. I think it has 40 calories a serving, but a little goes a long way.
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, sick of salad dressings that had enough calories and sodium to make my salads unhealthier than mac and cheese, I discovered Bolthouse Farms dressing. It's yogurt-based, so it's creamy (which I like better than vinaigrette), but it's very low-calorie. The honey mustard dressing is also very low in sodium, but they have other flavors.

Now if I can find a substitute for crunchy croutons with less calories and sodium...
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help, but I keep (in my freezer so I'm not digging into it all the time) a regular bag of those pretzel twists...it's something like 100 calories per serving of 15 pretzels. BUT...when I make a salad, I grab just two or three of the pretzels and break them up over my salad. It gives me a little salty crunch for hardly any calories. I've been working on the same package of pretzels for months now, b/c that's all I use them for. But it has kept me from loading up my salads with croutons, and it's DELICIOUS!

Now if I can find a substitute for crunchy croutons with less calories and sodium...
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've developed a taste for oil and vinegar.
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I recently found "Walden Farms" dressing at a local Sprouts (farmer's market). They have an enormous selection and variety of salad dressings, all of which have no sugar, fat, carbs, gluten or cholesterol. They're great! And they have Russian dressing, which is my absolute favorite.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    Also, salsa, very low calorie for 1/4 of a cup. I love taco salads, just a little ground up seasoned beef(less than a serving) crunch up a few tortilla chips (maybe even sun chips would work) and salsa YUM
  • merlegirl88
    Options
    I love kraft raspberry vinegrate, I also bought this little gadget that u put into bottle and measures exactly one portion so I do not use more than I am suppose to have, love it and only 25 calories... :)
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like seasoned rice vinegar & different versions of balsamic vinegars - sometimes with a bit of olive oil & herbs, sometimes on their own.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I like Ken's sesame ginger. It's a little high in the sodium but 70 cal per 2 TBSP, and the flavor is really strong so although I usually use more than the recommended serving size dressing on my salads, with this flavor I always use way less.

Some of my other go-to salad dressing options, especially when I want something creamy :
    1) for taco salad, mix some taco seasoning in with low fat sour cream
    2) I use frank's bufffalo wing sauce in the salad (again a little high in the sodium) but the coating & flavor allows me to use less salad dressing. I usually use part fat free sour cream and part regular ranch with this one.
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like Kraft Calorie Wise Greek and also their cal wise Sundried Tomato.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Wishbone Fat Free Italian Dressing it is really good!! and only 15 calories for 2 TBSP.
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I get Walden Farm's balsamic and mix 2 tbsp of it with 1 tbsp of hummus. It's tangy and yummy.
  • dr0p4ah0y
    dr0p4ah0y Posts: 22
    Options
    lime juice. straight up.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Maple Groves Wasabi Honey Dijon dressing