HELP for my wife...Ripped in 30 / 30 day shred / Insanity

Options
Hi guys,

My wife has been overweight for a while - pretty much since she had our daughter 9 years ago. She has yoyo'd on her diets for years but has finally seemed to find one which works for her - Weight Watchers Points. Anyway, I've now convinced her to get up early and exercise with me in the mornings but need some advice.

I've been doing Insanity and love it, but I know she'd hate it (it may also not be good for her knees at this point). Would I be better starting with Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 or 30 day shred? Anyone tried it and any advice would be much appreciated.

I don't want to start with something too hard or I know she just won't do anything. I'd really appreciate your input. Also if you think another DVD would be best, please leave your suggestions.

Replies

• JBrown9538
    JBrown9538 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would start with shred then follow that up with ripped.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 day shred, and it has a "beginner" person to follow, or a person that does it regular. it will be tough, and the first day is aweful, but it does get better. I really like 30 shred because it's only a 27 min workout including warmup and cool down.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with those DVDs but I love my WIndsor Pilates DVDs they are low impact and very effective at losing inches. It will help her strengthen, tone and become more flexible. Maybe those coupled with a walking routine would be a good place to start for her.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Def. 30 day Shred!
    I also have no more trouble zones, that is nice too :)
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    Ripped in 30 is a great program, and she would see results but still be able to do it. There are modifiers, so she can do it and modify it if she needs too! Hope this helps.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Start her with 30 day shred. Then she'll be ready for Ripped. Ripped is much more intense.
  • sb1023
    sb1023 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i've never tried insanity...but between the 30 day shred/and ripped in 30 (i love them both), i personally think 30 day shred is a little bit more beginner-friendly, if you do the modified versions of the exercises (which they show you). best of luck!
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It would be better to start with 30 Day Shred. I've heard Ripped in 30 is more difficult and borrows moves from 30DS.
  • enjoythesound
    enjoythesound Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be better to start with 30 day shred. I've tried both and Ripped in 30 is way harder for me!
  • Drizzt_d99
    Drizzt_d99 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ripped is harder than Shred, even following the beginner person.

I started with Shred and was very out of shape. I just kept up as best as I could and eventually you get the stamina to stay caught up.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I think 30 Day Shred would be a great starting point for her. She can start out with light weights and move up when she feels more comfortable. 30DS has 2 other girls aside from Jillian Michaels - one whom performs advanced modifications and the other performs beginner modifications. I'm only on day 2 but it's definitely a program I can see myself finishing. Have you searched 30 Day Shred or 30DS in the success stories forum? The results are amazing! And for 20 minutes a day for 30 days- it simply doesn't get any better than that!
  • mickyjd
    mickyjd Posts: 97
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I finish my Insanity programme in 9 days, so we're starting together after that.

So we'll go for 30 day shred first, help her get into shape and then go for Ripped.

I'll let you know how we progress.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Start with 30 Day Shred and make sure she watches her form on squats if she has bad knees. That is one of the biggest complaints with 30DS is knee injuries. Follow the modified girl and she will be fine. I had great results from 30 DS. 14lbs lost and 13 inches. I am actually getting ready to do it again!
  • mickyjd
    Options
    Start with 30 Day Shred and make sure she watches her form on squats if she has bad knees. That is one of the biggest complaints with 30DS is knee injuries. Follow the modified girl and she will be fine. I had great results from 30 DS. 14lbs lost and 13 inches. I am actually getting ready to do it again!

Sounds good - that's great results and I appreciate you sharing :)
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How did you like Insanity? Good results? I tried it for a few weeks but quit. :( Trying to decide if I should get started again.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    30DS
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have 30DS but I am scared. LOL
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If she's worried about knees I would go with 30 Day Shred or Extreme Shed and Shred. Ripped is AWESOME, but is more advanced and I notice that a couple of the levels in Ripped leave my legs aching, even with great form. I personally started with 30 Day Shred, then moved into Ripped, which I sometimes pair with Extreme Shed and Shred.
  • mickyjd
    Options
    How did you like Insanity? Good results? I tried it for a few weeks but quit. :( Trying to decide if I should get started again.

It worked for me. I've lost 11lb so far and a couple of inches off my stomach and waist.

The main thing is my cardio is off the charts now. On the fitness tests my results are approximately 170% better now than on day one and my resting heart rate dropped from 74 bpm to 58 bpm. I am a huge fan of Insanity.

My plan is to start it again from the beginning and do 30DS (based on feedback) with my wife straight after.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    Are those your only choices for starting her off? I've been exercising regularly since Christmas (from not exercising at all) and I'm pretty sure if I started off with 30DS I wouldn't have continued. I found that exercising using a Wii game was more fun and enticing and it slowly got me conditioned to exercising for longer periods of time. It was exercising without feeling like traditional exercise. By the time I decided to try 30DS, it wasn't as intimidating and, as bleeping hard as it was, I felt confident that I could push through.