Sodium

Options
AmyM713
AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
As I sit and track my food each day I see how much sodium is in the food we eat, as a past dedicated extra salt adder I can't imagine what my salt intake use to be.

I like to use garlic salt and lemon pepper to add flavor to my cooked meats but I'm even growing weary of doing this.

What are some ways you cut down on your sodium, any favorite foods that are low in sodium and yummy?

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Natural Lemon and lime is a great way to add flavor to your food without extra sodium. Just get a grater or a zester and start adding to your favorite foods! :)

Spices and herbs such as parsley, cilantro, pepper, basil, oregano, etc are all my new best friend.
    As well I add garlic and onion to everything! They really add lots of flavor.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I rarely add any salt to anything anymore. I to used to be an excessive salt added before I started tracking. The only time i had salt is if i'm having salad or tomatoes and only a dash. I try to season up everything with herbs, i use garlic powder rather than salt. I also like seasoning mix, but i buy the no salt added variety of Chili Garlic, Garlic Pepper and Lemon Pepper, I use it sparingly.

I make all our dinners homemade, but lunches are a struggle as we like sandwiches and soups (i buy low sodium).

I find carbs and processed meats are the biggest culprits. Deli meats are horrendous and the one thing I can't seem to cut out ( need my sammies), but a sandwich can have soo much sodium. I've given up trying to stay under and aim to stay within 200-300 of my goal I increase my water intake and periodically check my reports to make sure i'm not off the charts.

It's a hard struggle! But just do the best you can and try to be conscious of sodium intake, that's all we can do.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it need to reprogram my cooking so I can use better stuff to flavor my foods. I have come a long way from dashing on salt to my food before tasting it but I still am learning.
  • crhunt123
    crhunt123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was told to cut down on my salt by my doctor. I thought I had been doing a good job, but when I joined MFP and added up my sodium, I was shocked to see how much sodium I was still eating and serving to my family. For starters, I have decided to cut back on deli lunch meats and poach chicken breast to put on a sandwich instead. Also buy fresh or frozen vegetables rather than canned. If you must buy canned, compare labels. I found it amazing how different the sodium content can be from one brand to another. Use garlic powder or fresh garlic instead of garlic salt. Good Luck!
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are sodium-free seasoning mixes, like Mrs. Dash, and also some sodium-free marinades too.

And yes deli meats have a horrifying amount of sodium. I mostly stick to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch...even though each slice of bread has like 200 mg of sodium.