Blended Coffee Drinks?

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
I love those Starbucks-esque girly blended Frappachino things, but they're super expensive at the store so I do my best to make them at home. But no matter what recipe or technique I try, I always wind up with drinks that separate, kind of like a snow-cone would. The coffee sinks to the bottom, and there's a big tasteless ball of ice chips floating on top.

I have a Magic Bullet blender and a Cuisinart food processor, if that helps.

Anyone have any secrets or tried-and-true recipes to getting that smooth, creamy consistency?

Replies

• RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Homemade version of Starbucks Frapp

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups crushed iced (pulse your ice a few times first, makes it a lot smoother at the end)
    2-1 ounce shots of espresso OR use 3/4 cup strong coffee mixed with 1/2 cup of milk and increase crushed iced by 1/4 cup. (ROOM TEMP OR CHILLED FOR EITHER OPTION)
    3/4 cup your choice of milk
    3 tablespoons sugar or sweetener (more or less depending on preference)

Instructions
    Blend all the ingredients except the whipped cream in a blender for 30-45 seconds.

Enjoy!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love them, too, but because of cost and calories they were always a rare treat. My favorite was a Dunkin' Donuts Coolatta with a couple of extra turbo shots.

Last year I bought a Mr. Coffee Cafe Frappe Maker and found my bliss. I was able to figure out recipes that gave me just the flavors I was looking for. It takes a little experimentation and avoidance of the recipe book that comes with it (way too weak). I found that I ended up doubling the coffee and limiting the ice cubes to a very specific number. You can also use Stevia and low fat creamers or skim milk or whatever your heart desires.

I was able to take what was usually a calorie dense extravagance and make it into a delightful, low calorie daily treat.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Big Train has some really good sugar free mixes. They're the brand that a lot of coffee places use in their drinks. If you don't mind spending a little money, they are totally worth it!

http://bigtrain.com/low-carb-mocha-frappe-blended-ice-coffee-mix-retail-can-p-2598.aspx
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    also, to avoid watering down, make sure you freeze coffee so you have coffee cubes instead of regular ice cubes.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My favorite summer drink (makes 2 VERY large glasses):

4 servings espresso (1 liquid cup)
    2 cups unsweetened chocolate almond milk
    2 truvia packets
    7-8 ice cubes

Put it all in the blender until ice is completely crushed and mixed in.

I've found that if I used pre-chilled espresso the ice doesn't mix in quite so well and it's not as smooth as I like so I always use fresh brewed.

I make this almost every morning in the summer. It's so refreshing.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    also, to avoid watering down, make sure you freeze coffee so you have coffee cubes instead of regular ice cubes.

what a clever idea!
  • todaystuesday
    todaystuesday Posts: 77 Member
    Options

2 truvia packets
    7-8 ice cubes

I've found that if I used pre-chilled espresso the ice doesn't mix in quite so well and it's not as smooth as I like so I always use fresh brewed.

what is the total cal count on this?
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options

2 truvia packets
    7-8 ice cubes

what is the total cal count on this?

I use almond breeze almond milk myself so it comes out to 95 calories for the whole recipe :)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Also, if you like mochas you can brew Choffy mixed with the ground coffee of your choice. I use NE Coffee Chocolate Cappucino mixed with Choffy.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    1 Scoop Designer Whey Protein Chocolate or Double Chocolate
    0.5 c. espresso
    0.5 Silk Pure Almond Vanilla Unsweetened Milk
    5 Ice Cubes
    Blend

Makes a great breakfast smoothie and full of great protein. If you want a stronger coffee flavor you could do all coffee.
    I'm a Starbucks girl too, so I get where you are coming from.
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    OBSESSED with this recipe from Hungry Girl. SOOOO delicious. The pudding helps it blend up better and not have the separation issue expressed by the OP.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/1890
  • MABEL733
    MABEL733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd mention that adding arrowroot powder to the drinks will help them not to seperate.