Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OJ or water with breakfast

About a year ago I switched from water with breakfast to OJ because I am terrible about keeping fruit in the house and thought this would give me at least some fruit every day, Now that I am using MFP (on day 4) the stats make OJ look bad (high in calories, carbs). Are there other benefits to it to make it worth keeping, or should I go back to water?

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    I don't do OJ or water. I like coffee - it's a great antioxidant!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Most OJ has added sugar and other stuff besides oranges. I would squeeze my own or go back to water. I would only have 4 oz though. I have two glass of water with my breakfast.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    OJ has a lot of sugar...a LOT. Water is the best for you regardless, it's natures fruit juice.... : ) I typically dont have fruit in the morning, I stick with whole grains (steel cut oats usually)

Apples will keep in the fridge for a while, so you can easily have a week worth on hand, take them with you as a snack or at lunch. Pears are good to (fridge life).
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Green tea! You can get green tea with a hint of fruit flavor. So delish, and great for weight loss and full of antioxidants.

It's healthier to actually eat the fruit than drink the juice, anyway.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Once in awhile I will drink an artificial sweetener flavour.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    If you feel you need to do OJ, There are other low cal low sugar options out there. Tropicana does one. But I am a coffee drinker in the a.m.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 334 Member
    You are much muc h better off eating an orange, and it will satisfy the craving. You lose the fibre in the juice, which is the biggest problem. As well as the much higher calories! I say, stick with water, and have the juice on Sunday, as a treat! That's what I do anyway, and I love juice as well. Good luck!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Water. Then if you get hungry after breakfast eat an actual orange.
  • hayley26d
    hayley26d Posts: 80 Member
    I drink skimmed milk with my breakfast
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    About a year ago I switched from water with breakfast to OJ because I am terrible about keeping fruit in the house and thought this would give me at least some fruit every day, Now that I am using MFP (on day 4) the stats make OJ look bad (high in calories, carbs). Are there other benefits to it to make it worth keeping, or should I go back to water?

I suggest you go back to water. I take two glasses of 12oz water upon waking up. Say NO to powdered or ready-to-drink flavored beverages as they just filled with SUGAR. If you must, get a real fruit and eat with moderation. Just my two cents. :-)
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    I don't eat a lot of oranges, simply because I hate peeling them. I usually get low sugar orange juice....Also , drink you juice with broccoli, the calcium is absorbed better that way....
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Water....too many cals in OJ, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Low sodium V-8. Great source of A and C and potassium.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    I say drink what you like. No, juice isn't the best thing in the world. But, if it's something you truly like having, don't get rid of it. Remember, this is a journey, not a race, and the goal is to learn to craft your food in such a way that you can live with your choices long term - not just long enough to lose a few lbs. Me, I like coffee - with half and half. Half and half makes me happy so I make sure I have enough calories available. I'll give up a slice of cheese on my sandwich or butter on my roll for half and half in my coffee. It's all about choices.
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Green tea! You can get green tea with a hint of fruit flavor. So delish, and great for weight loss and full of antioxidants.

It's healthier to actually eat the fruit than drink the juice, anyway.

This. :-)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    I am a fan of Green Tea in the morning.
  • lyssabux
    lyssabux Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and information!! I think I may go back to water and bring an orange. I like the idea of OJ as a treat on Sundays! I will give them all a try though!

This community is GREAT!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I don't do juice. I don't like to drink calories lol. And plus, most juice that you buy has a ton of sugar.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Water....too many cals in OJ, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.

^This