OJ or water with breakfast

Options
About a year ago I switched from water with breakfast to OJ because I am terrible about keeping fruit in the house and thought this would give me at least some fruit every day, Now that I am using MFP (on day 4) the stats make OJ look bad (high in calories, carbs). Are there other benefits to it to make it worth keeping, or should I go back to water?

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't do OJ or water. I like coffee - it's a great antioxidant!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Most OJ has added sugar and other stuff besides oranges. I would squeeze my own or go back to water. I would only have 4 oz though. I have two glass of water with my breakfast.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    OJ has a lot of sugar...a LOT. Water is the best for you regardless, it's natures fruit juice.... : ) I typically dont have fruit in the morning, I stick with whole grains (steel cut oats usually)

Apples will keep in the fridge for a while, so you can easily have a week worth on hand, take them with you as a snack or at lunch. Pears are good to (fridge life).
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Green tea! You can get green tea with a hint of fruit flavor. So delish, and great for weight loss and full of antioxidants.

It's healthier to actually eat the fruit than drink the juice, anyway.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I will drink an artificial sweetener flavour.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need to do OJ, There are other low cal low sugar options out there. Tropicana does one. But I am a coffee drinker in the a.m.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You are much muc h better off eating an orange, and it will satisfy the craving. You lose the fibre in the juice, which is the biggest problem. As well as the much higher calories! I say, stick with water, and have the juice on Sunday, as a treat! That's what I do anyway, and I love juice as well. Good luck!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Water. Then if you get hungry after breakfast eat an actual orange.
  • hayley26d
    hayley26d Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink skimmed milk with my breakfast
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Options
    About a year ago I switched from water with breakfast to OJ because I am terrible about keeping fruit in the house and thought this would give me at least some fruit every day, Now that I am using MFP (on day 4) the stats make OJ look bad (high in calories, carbs). Are there other benefits to it to make it worth keeping, or should I go back to water?

I suggest you go back to water. I take two glasses of 12oz water upon waking up. Say NO to powdered or ready-to-drink flavored beverages as they just filled with SUGAR. If you must, get a real fruit and eat with moderation. Just my two cents. :-)
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of oranges, simply because I hate peeling them. I usually get low sugar orange juice....Also , drink you juice with broccoli, the calcium is absorbed better that way....
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Water....too many cals in OJ, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    Low sodium V-8. Great source of A and C and potassium.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I say drink what you like. No, juice isn't the best thing in the world. But, if it's something you truly like having, don't get rid of it. Remember, this is a journey, not a race, and the goal is to learn to craft your food in such a way that you can live with your choices long term - not just long enough to lose a few lbs. Me, I like coffee - with half and half. Half and half makes me happy so I make sure I have enough calories available. I'll give up a slice of cheese on my sandwich or butter on my roll for half and half in my coffee. It's all about choices.
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Options
    Green tea! You can get green tea with a hint of fruit flavor. So delish, and great for weight loss and full of antioxidants.

It's healthier to actually eat the fruit than drink the juice, anyway.

This. :-)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Green Tea in the morning.
  • lyssabux
    lyssabux Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and information!! I think I may go back to water and bring an orange. I like the idea of OJ as a treat on Sundays! I will give them all a try though!

This community is GREAT!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't do juice. I don't like to drink calories lol. And plus, most juice that you buy has a ton of sugar.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Water....too many cals in OJ, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.

^This