Fat people need workout clothes too!

Options
Okay - so I have made an effort to lose weight and exercise - probably more motivated this time than I had been in the past (I have had this on again off again relationship with MFP. )

I truck my fat butt to the local sporting good store and shop around for exercise wear while my husband hunts down a pair of running shoes. Hundreds of items of sports wear hanging on the racks from running shorts, to sports bras, etc.,etc., BUT can someone explain to my why the athletic wear ranges from size XS to Large. REALLY!.... there isn't enough spandex in those clothes to get them past my knees!.

Where are the fat people sizes? - we need something comfortable to work out in and keep us motivated while we do it. At this point the only motivation would be to buy that XS small size and hang it above the treadmill - the problem is by the time I get to wear it I wouldn't really need it!

You would think that the sports industry would be promoting health and fitness and include the class of people who probably need it the most. Granted I don't want my fat rolls squeezing into some spandex shirt but it would be nice to not have to work out in a big baggy t-shirt and pair of too tight leggings or old shorts.

Evan the local supercenter chains stop at size XL.. maybe you could find a XXL but it is really a large when you try it on. Unless looking like a sausage is the in thing in workout wear!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My clothes are pretty stretchy, so I was wearing the same sizes more or less at 165lbs as I could at 130lbs, so I don't really need to go much bigger when it comes to yoga pants or t-shirts.

My sports bra is another story. I'm a 32G and good luck finding ANYTHING that size in a regular store. I think the only place that sells bras in that size locally is Nordstrom. I generally have to get those sorts of things off the internet, and most of the time they are imported from the UK.

If you are not satisfied with the workout gear around you, perhaps you should modify what you have nearby, or just expand your search to the world wide web. I tend to alter a lot of my clothes for work by hemming up the pants, etc, and I know some of my coworkers do too. My workout clothes generally aren't as much of a problem, because they are so stretchy that they somehow will modify themselves to fit me.

Can you get some workout clothes that already exist and just add some extra panels of fabric?
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    and here I am never being able to find an xs. Probably because I only shop at walmart and they have never heard of that size.
  • hateras
    hateras Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    and here I am never being able to find an xs. Probably because I only shop at walmart and they have never heard of that size.

Try Academy sports -they had more XS sizes than any other store I've seen
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    fashion bug has some workout clothes for larger sized women
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try Target or maybe TJ Maxx and Marshals....they have a good variety of sizes in their athletic apparal sections.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck at JCPenney. They have a good selection in Plus Size workout clothes. Very reasonably priced too...... I got a pair of workout pants and matching warm-up jacket for $32 last week.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Of all places, I just had luck at Dollar General. They carry up to 3X in workout pants with matching jackets. I got men's plain Tshirts to match.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have several old navy work out shirts that I LOVE! I bought two of the "compression" tanks, and I was pleasantly surprised that they fit so well. I got the 2x (in the plus size section) and they fit. I'm 5'4", 230 and a 42DD/DDD.

I found cotton work out shorts at target in 1x and 2x and I've been wearing them since I started this journey at 298. they're getting too big to tighten now... but I love them :)
  • MikesMuffin
    Options
    I got my sports bra from La Senza and my jogging bottoms from Asda (they go quite large there) and just wear a normal cotton t-shirt.
  • Lovinglife12
    Options
    Check out Old Navy. I'm not sure if in store but online their womens goes up to xxl and they have have women plus that goes up to 4x. They have GREAT stuff. I just bought two pairs of 12 dollar work out yoga capris and I LOVE them. I like them even better than my 30 dollar Nike pants. They also have 30% off right now.
  • shinypinkpolish
    Options
    Very good post!
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I find some at the Avenue.
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I agree! I thought the Biggest Loser was coming out with Plus sized work out clothes, but I haven't seen anything. I also tried to find Ski Clothes...no luck..had to order them online....
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Old navy online and, believe it or not, Walmart online has some reasonably priced danskin workout apparel.