How can I incorporate fruits into my diet

Options
All my life I have pretty much hated almost all fruits. It's not that I necessarily dislike the flavors, but more the textures. The fruits I will just plain eat are grapefruit and grapes and thats pretty much it so I'm looking for different things. One thing though is I loathe bananas. I can't stand the taste, the texture, the smell, nothing. I was wondering if anyone had any creative ways or recipes for me take in fruits without actually just plain old eating the fruit.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is no rule that you have to eat fruit to be healthy. if you dont like it, dont eat it.

but if you don't like an apple with peanut butter smeared on slices, then you are whack! lol
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    what about dipping fruits in yogurt? Gives them a better taste. I love pineapple, strawberries, and cantalope dipped in it.

You could also try blending fruits into a smoothie
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do you have a juicer? You could experiment with fruit/veg mixes.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Banana "Ice Cream": Freeze banana slices and then process them in a food processor until smooth. Voila! Ice Cream!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Fruits turn into sugar. Take vitamins and supplements and drink lots of water and make sure you get calcium somewhere in there.

Exercise at least 15 min a day, for three to four days out of the week and you can eat most the stuff you want, just in moderation.

Losing weight doesn't have to be the end all to eating what you want. Just have to take what others have experienced (which is what I did) and use it.

katie
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    dried fruit? it has a different texture at least...

OR smoothies (fruit, ice, almond milk)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Banana "Ice Cream": Freeze banana slices and then process them in a food processor until smooth. Voila! Ice Cream!

uhh....she said she hates bananas
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You could make smoothies, incorporate them into your dinner (mango in couscous, pineapple in stir-fries), mix them into oatmeal in the morning, incorporate them in pancake batter, warm them till they start to fall apart and use as a topping on pancakes/yoghurt/toast.. tons of options really.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    -Fruit smoothies - blend some fruits (berries are nice) with plain or vanilla low or no fat yoghurt
    -Chocolate fondue? (use dark choc, it's actually good for you (within reason!) and tasty for dipping)
    -finely chop apple or pear and mix it in with your porridge/cereal
    -drink fruit juice
    -apple puree is nice mixed with potato puree and/or carrot puree
    -try dried fruits, they're sweet and full of goodness, especially to combat sweet cravings. Raisins or apricots are great for that!
    -low cal baking? low cal apple or berry crumbles?

Hope some of these help. Also, if you try fruit again and again you will develop a taste for it and probably learn to like it.

best of luck!
  • Juawill
    Juawill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are so many good fruits available now that I don't think it's necessary to try those you know you don't like. You said you like grapefruit. Well, have an orange occasionally. The texture is basically the same but a bit sweeter. Try clementines sometime. Personally, I think God made clementines to give us all a nice sweet thing to eat without a lot of calories (almost none). Again, very similar texture to grapefruit. Try a fruit salad with a bunch of different cut up fruit, a bit of honey and a splash or two of balsamic vinegar. HmmHmm Good! Focus on what you do like and try to stretch the familiarity zone just a little. Once you've added some new fruits into your diet, then think about going back and giving that banana another try. Here's a good way to eat bananas. Cut up a really ripe banana or two into bite size pieces and put them into the freezer for about two hours or so. Take them out and put them into a blender with a teaspoon or so of a good cocoa, maybe a tad of honey and a splash of cinnamon. Blend just until it's smooth and serve. It's just like ice cream with none of the bad stuff associated. Give it a try!!!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I would never have survived my diet change without fruit! :) Smoothies is a great idea. Also, if you have a food processor and puree them, then you can easily add it to batters or oatmeal, etc. Another idea that I know people have done is to buy baby food fruits, which is similar to puree without the work. :)

Best of luck. I'm impressed that you are doing your best to find ways to incorporate fruits in your diet! They are truly nature's nutritious sweets!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options

I know, but some people can't even tell that this is made with bananas! Especially if you add cocoa powder and peanut butter. Yum :smile:

If she doesn't want to try it, no harm done. Sorry!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    smoothies............:bigsmile:
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    or just eat veggies instead.........just as good for you if not better :happy:
  • DiamondEyes_x
    DiamondEyes_x Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I loathe bananas too but I love smoothies and milkshakes with it in. Tastes different!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I know, but some people can't even tell that this is made with bananas! Especially if you add cocoa powder and peanut butter. Yum :smile:

oh...didnt know you add peanut butter...everything is better with peanut butter:smile:
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I fully intend to try that thanks! pb/banna/ chocolate ice cream.. yummmy! :)
  • debrastorr
    Options
    Smoothies seem the easiest solution to textures but also I'd suggest rather than tacking say a whole nectarine, peach, apricot or whatever, first cut it into bite sized or smaller pieces. Mix it with fruit you do like - halved grapes etc and treat it as a mini fruit salad. Add a spoonful of yoghurt if you want to think of it as a desert.

Also, many fruits will stew in tiny amount of water very well. perhaps cooked rather than raw?
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fruit "sauce" - peel / chop / core whatever fruits - put in pot, add just a bit of water - cook over med heat until tender - either mash or puree - good either warm or refrigerated.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    If you don't like fruit, you don't have to eat it; just make sure you're getting the right mix of vitamins from vegetables instead.

Blending into juices and smoothies is a great way of getting more fruit, though, especially since it tastes so different once you've mixed a few different things together. You could also try adding dried fruits to granola or other breakfast cereals to get your fruit in the morning.