Probiotics after taking antibiotics?

Options
SRH7
SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
I had to go on antibiotics earlier this week due to a nasty tooth abscess. Antibiotics never agree with me and while (thankfully!) the infection seems to be subsiding, I have broken out in spots all over my face and back along with extremely dry skin (shreds of skin peeling off my face and cracked lips). It has happened before and I know it's nothing to worry about (I'm on antihistamines to try to calm it down).

I feel so run down and I'm thinking of taking some probiotics once the antibiotic course is finished. I know the yogurt ones are not powerful enough and there is debate about whether they can get past the stomach acid etc. So which ones should I try? Does it depend on the antibiotics I have taken?

I'm currently on 500mg of amoxicillan three times a day.

Any suggestions of suitable probiotics? (available in the UK please!)

Replies

• GwendolynMartin
    GwendolynMartin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will be interested in learning more too. I had to take two rounds of antibiotics that really messed up my stomach. I am now on probiotics (50 million) and would be interested to know if:
    * these really help calm the stomach
    * should I be taking more?

Thanks!!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Okay, this may sound really strange... my dog has just come off a course of antibiotics. I've been giving her two big dollops of probiotic yoghurt throughout, and she came through it without any... uhm... digestive malfunction, which is a first. It also tells me that the yoghurt must working. BTW, she weighs 171 lbs (English Mastiff :bigsmile:), to give you a weight/yoghurt amount ratio.

I'd simply give the yoghurt a try. If you choose a low-fat variety, you can easily have 3/4 to 1 cup without doing too much damage, and that's a good amount.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am an avid taker or probiotics and I use the Holista brand. I don't think that the yogurt probiotics are strong enough at all from the research that I have done. I always give my kids probiotics after they have taken an antibiotic to help them restore good flora to their intestines etc.
  • cookie60five
    Options
    I had an occasion where I had to take three courses of antibiotics one after the other, I took acidophilus probiotic tablets from Holland & Barrett whilst I was on the antibiotics and continued to take them for another 3 months after, I found that I had no ill effects from the antibiotics and my digestion was really good, I didn't use the probiotic drinks because they can be a bit high in sugar.