Oops...I don't fit in my bridesmaid dress [NSV]

Options
Yay!

I got measured for a dress at the beginning of November for a wedding that will take place in May. I could not, of course, try on any of the samples. They ordered the largest size they sell to accomodate for my fabulous hips (as hollered to me by a rando on the streets of DC one day).

In typical New Years resolution fashion (I resent that my life change is associated with that cliche) I started my weight loss journey on January 2nd. On Friday we went to our first fitting. I went into the dressing room to try it on and burst into laughter. 'What's so funny?' says the bride from across the shop. 'My breasts!' I holler out. ****, the dress had like four extra inches of room for a bust that I DO NOT have. Somewhat expected since my hips are the largest part of me, but it felt good to have them pull back and pin 4 or 5 inches of fabric all 'round.

As a result, we decided to hold off on tailoring it yet and will go back in the middle of April for my actual fitting. I've only lost 15 pounds and have 78 to go to reach my goal, but it's really about inches anyhow, and that felt good!

Replies

• Drendren
    Drendren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks - needed to hear this today! Congrats on the smaller you!!
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You said it all - it's really about the inches, not the lbs. I'm SO happy for you!! It's those kinds of moments that show us that what we're doing really is making a difference!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm hoping that happens to me too. I've been putting off ordering my bridesmaid dress because I didn't like the size I'd have to get. You're success has inspired me!
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are really off to a great start.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great news! :)
  • des24rob
    des24rob Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Good for you!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm hoping that happens to me too. I've been putting off ordering my bridesmaid dress because I didn't like the size I'd have to get. You're success has inspired me!

Order it and have fun getting it altered as you lose weight!
  • Deinonychus
    Options
    Fantastic you should feel proud!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!
    Because of that reason I have put off even looking for a dress for my brother's wedding until next week! (His wedding is the end of May)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. Can't they order a smaller size so that you don't have to pay so much for alterations?
  • Lovinglife12
    Options
    That is super awesome, what a great feeling! Good luck on the rest of your Journey!

I actually hope to be in your shoes in a few months. We have a fitting on March 31st but I have convinced the bride to let me hold off on ordering mine until the end of June.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    YEAH baby! you can do it!!
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thats awsome. It happened to me avery long time ago. Got fitted, bought the dress. Then when the wedding came the sash on the dress would not stay on at all. Bride was pissed. I had no idea I had lost that much weight. Someone found a safety pin and tacked it up and on. Funny now. Just waiting is a good thing. :laugh:
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome NVS!
  • chairperson
    Options
    That is awesome. Can't they order a smaller size so that you don't have to pay so much for alterations?

Very good point. I'm not sure. I didn't ask and ended up taking the dress home till the next time we go in for a fitting, so I think it might be too late. Regardless, I'm kind of looking forward to slipping into it one more time in April and giggling again.
  • chairperson
    Options
    Thats awsome. It happened to me avery long time ago. Got fitted, bought the dress. Then when the wedding came the sash on the dress would not stay on at all. Bride was pissed. I had no idea I had lost that much weight. Someone found a safety pin and tacked it up and on. Funny now. Just waiting is a good thing. :laugh:

Thankfully I've got a pretty relaxed friend as the bride. I warned her when the weight started coming off and she said something to the effect of, 'Honestly, I don't really even care if you end up having to where a different dress.' Which, i think, is the right attitude for a friend to.

Obviously I will try my best to not let the dress fall off while they're saying their vows...but beyond that, the more il-fitted the better! :)
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Love it!! What great motivation to stay on track:)
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Many boutiques for bridesmaid dresses, you really do need to order 8-9 months in advance so just getting a new one is not always possible unless you bought off the rack. I had that issue, too with my hips. They would make me order a horrendously big size because my hip measurement was in that bracket but everything else was smaller so I could practically pull my dresses off without unzipping. Their sizing really leaves something to be desired. But having it be too big is much better than too small, much easier to take in than let out. If you go to a tailor not associated with the bridal shop, they can often have your dress done within a week so you don't have to put it in so far in advance if you are still losing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!