stay at home mums! when do you get to work out?

Options
I'm a stay at home mum of three (aged 7 nearly 4 and 18months) and I was just wondering what everyone does and when?

Currently I'm finding it hard to fit anything in as my oldest goes to school full time my three yr old half days and my 18month old doesn't really nap so for the moment ive only been able to go for walks in the afternoon while the older two are at school but really is like to do more. I've tried the 30ds but really can't get into it mainly because I get climbed all over the whole time. What I'd really love to do is c25k but my partner won't watch the kids while I do which is really irritating (he for some stupid reason thinks that I will run off with someone else if I leave the house without bloody kids but that's a whole over story)

So like I was saying what do you all do?

Oh and just thought I'd add I live in a two bed place with one tv so room is minimal.

Replies

• maranatha777
    Options
    I have a 7 yr. old and a three year old. Right now I work out either in the middle of the day or in the evening doing Turbo Fire (a set of workout DVD's). It changes day to day on when I can workout. If all else fails you might need to get up before everyone else in the mornings or workout when they are in bed at night... It can be hard to do but it's important to make time :)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    All the time. The YMCA has Child Watch included in the membership. Before that, I had a jogging stroller. I would get both kids up and ready, and go run 6 days/week. Even in the snow. We owned a ton of gear for every possible weather combination. The kids really enjoyed the rain cover, they got a ride through the rain and stayed dry. I found an indoor track that allowed strollers as well.

I pretty much just ran until I joined the YMCA.

ETA: When all else fails, I get up at 3:30 in the morning and go to the gym at 4. Back before they miss me.
  • crystal0979
    Options
    I have a 2 yr old and the best time for me to work out is in the early morning while she is sleep. I have a elliptical and do that for a hour. At times I have done it when she goes to bed at night.
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    YMCA or really early before they get up.
  • Beastette
    Options
    YMCA or really early before they get up.
    ^Word^
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    6AM before they get up. Although mine are much older than yours (13,10 and 9) and I'm not strictly a SAHM. When I was though I would either get them to jump around with me or buckle them in to the buggy and walk like the wind!
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have 6 kids. (10, 8, 6, 4, 2, and 10 months.) 3 are in school, 3 aren't. After the oldest 3 go to school it's time for the baby's nap so usually I let the 2 and 4 yr old watch a video while I get on the treadmill or lift weights. If that doesn't work everyone naps after lunch (the 4 year old doesn't always sleep, but she has quiet time in her bed) and I'll exercise then. If that doesn't work (like if the baby won't nap or I have some serious housework that needs to be done) I'll do it at 8 after all the kids are in bed.

When the weather is nice I put the baby in a carrier on me and push the other 2 in the jogging stroller.
  • jenniferlynn12
    Options
    I have 6, 4, 3, 13 months... it's always been part of my day so the kids are used to it. Sometimes they play near me with toys, some times they join in, sometimes I have a special project that they only can do when I'm working out... they know it's mommy's time and that I'm not going to stop what I'm doing until I'm done so they generally let me finish without interruptions. :) I do it in the morning (after the older 2 go to school) or in the afternoon when the baby is napping... but even when he's awake, he will just play near me. On the weekends, I go out running when my husband's home. (I'm way too tired by the evening! :) You have to make it work for you and your schedule--different seasons have been different... just commit to doing it, and you'll find the time! Good luck! :)
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far but am I the only person who's 3yr old walks everywhere he hasn't had a pushchair for nearly a year now? We also stopped his naps at 2.5years.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    When the weather is nice I put the baby in a carrier on me and push the other 2 in the jogging stroller.

Now that has to be a good workout!

When my kids were little we walked everyday too. I would also do a dvd most nights when they went to bed. The good thing about that is that was my tv time when i usually snacked.
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old walks everywhere normally, but if I'm going for an exercise walk she can sit in the stroller for that time so I can walk faster.

Naps or quiet time are non-negotiable around here. They need to stay in their bed and rest if they aren't going to sleep. They need it and I need it.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    I have 3 (6, 5 and 2). The oldest is at school but the other 2 are at home. Do you have a group of friends who are also stay at home mums who want to exercise? A group of us split the cost of a personal trainer one a week and do our own exercise class. We meet in a park, or someone's house if the weather is lousy and the kids come along. Other than that, I go to the gym after my husband comes home from work and they've all been fed. He gets them ready for bed and puts the younger 2 to bed while I'm there. Or I'll put the 2 year old in a stroller when the oldest is at school and the middle one is at kindergarden.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am a WAHM - I run an inhome childcare from 7am to 5:30 pm.

Usually, I work out after bedtime for my children. On Monday, my husband don't roll in until 9:30, so I am ready to go when he walks in. I work out from 9:45 to 10:30 when the gym closes. 45 minutes is all I get, but it's better than nothing!!!

Tuesday through Thursday, I try to be out of the door by 7:45 pm ( Hubby puts the kids to bed at 8 ). I work out from 8-9:15ish.

I skip Friday, since that is date night. I'm considering going at 5:30 am on Monday & Friday, since those days are the hardest.

Saturday, I go at 10:30am when I drop Hubby off at work. I work out from 10:45-12ish.

Sunday, I go at 8:30am and work out till 9:45. I have to be home by 10:30 for Hubby to get to work on time, and I usually stop at the store on my way home.

I know it's hard to find time.... but I've learned that if i want something badly enough, I'll find a way. If not... i find an excuse!
  • Beastette
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far but am I the only person who's 3yr old walks everywhere he hasn't had a pushchair for nearly a year now? We also stopped his naps at 2.5years.

Mine walk...4 and 3 soon to be 5 and 4. I ran a race with them almost a year ago in the jogger. You will find what works for you. My boys were the best trainers ever, they wanted and expected that run every single day. They would stand at the door as I washed up the breakfast dishes urging me out of the door.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My kids are 4 & 7. I homeschool so they are with me all day. I workout during lunch. I move the laptop to the kitchen table, and they either watch part of a movie, something on netflix, a few donald duck on youtube, or whatever. We decide ahead of time what they will watch and the 7 yr old is in charge of the clicking. They get a treat during lunch, and it's just enough time for me to bust through a 30DS.

I know I might hear from a bunch of you about the evils of watching TV while you eat, but it actually helps both my kids eat better (a long story for another day). I used to do this at breakfast, but discovered working out first thing in the morning is soooo not for me.
  • joannea1988
    Options
    before my daughter started nursery , i popped hr in her pram and walked everywhere, in to town to the park , shopping , it was great exercise x
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    My 8-year old is in school, but I have 2-year old twins that have on again, off again naps, so I now go to Jazzercise 5-days a week with child care. I joke the hardest part is getting them ready, loaded and unloaded from the car and walking across the parking lot... but totally worth the 600cal burn.
    A gym is opening up .4 miles from my house this month, its 24/7 but with no childcare. I'll be going before my husband leaves for work or after the 3 are in bed.
    If you want it...you'll make it work.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I exercise before he gets up, usually I wake up between 5 and 6. Sometimes he "exercises" with me- he jumps around, does sit ups, stands up then lays on the floor and "lifts" with my 2 lb. weights. He gives me an extra burn by sitting on my back for push ups or planks and on my stomach for sit ups. Cheerios are a good distraction when I'm just trying to finish up that last little bit of a work out.
    If the weather is good I'll stick him in the stroller after naptime and go for a walk while he eats his afternoon snack. Sometimes I put him in the backpack and go hiking. He's almost 30 pounds now so that really makes my legs burn after a few hills!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I cannot make myself get up early to workout before the kids get up. Most nights I don't get to bed until close to midnight so there is no way I'm getting up before I absolutely have to. LOL I have a 4 year old and an almost-2 year old, the 4 year old has preschool 4 days per week in the mornings. Originally I planned to workout while he was in school (so I'd only have the little one to worry about), but I normally end up using that time to do household chores and shopping. So usually I end up exercising while the almost-2 year old is napping (starting around 2 or 3 in the afternoon) OR I will wait until my husband gets home from work if he wants to workout with me that day, so often we will have the little one in the highchair eating his dinner and hand the iPad to the 4 year old to keep him occupied. LOL I'm planning to join a gym with childcare soon, that way I will not have to worry so much over how to 'manage' the kids so that I can get in a workout, I can just drop them in the childwatch area and go about my business. ;-)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have a 4 yo and a 15 month old. Right now I workout when he naps. I get my workout clothes on and the dvd in the machine before I put him down so I get as much time as possible. If my daughter is home I put a show on for her to watch ( bad mommy right? )
    When my son stops napping I plan on having him do quite time in his room. If I can get a good workout in in the morning I am a better mommy all day. It is the only me time I have and the only thing I do just for me. I think it is very important.