Weight loss slowing down?

Options
Hello everyone,

I have been on a diet for rougly 2 months now. I have lost weight quite rapidly at first, but now, it has slowed down considerably. I am/was doing a 1200 calorie diet as suggested by MFP. Is this normal? Has it happened to anyone else? The thing is, I don't mind losing weight slower, but I don't want to mess up my metabolism or anything else and do permanent damage. I am aware as the weight goes down, so does the calorie needs, but it was a sharp fall in pace.

Not exactly looking for medical advice or anything, I would just like to hear if it happens to people or not. Maybe if it doesn't happen too often, I could change something I do.

Replies

• susandnichols
    Options
    Glad you're not looking for medical advice because a doctor I'm not! My opinion is this...as you lose weight, you have to continually decrease your caloric intake to continue losing. If you start out at rock bottom (1200 calories), where do you have to go once you plateau? I think you're doing yourself more harm than good by starting out with such a low caloric goal.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i didn't have as much to loose but mfp started me off at 1200 too, i was loosing slowly but steady for the 1st 2 months and then i haven't budged in 2 months. Last week i upped my daily calories to my BMI, since 1200 was under, i hope i will start seeing changes soon.
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I don't think I have plateaued at 1200 calories when I weight 170 pounds. There is no way my body is able to sustain 170 pounds at 1200 calories, right??