Can you make scrambled eggs ahead of time?

Options
LATeagno
LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
OK, so I just started a new job and follow a low carb way of eating. I'm trying to come up with ways to make sure I can eat right without having to fill up on protein bars and shakes.

I make boiled eggs a lot, but I'm tossing up the idea of making scrambled eggs a few days in advance (using just eggs and nonstick spray) and then portioning them out and microwaving them at work alongside some ham or center cut bacon.

Has anyone ever made scrambled eggs in advance and then reheated them later? Does it work?

Replies

• mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I did yesterday and they were fine :-)

Made at 11am ate at 5 pm.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    yepp...but they go either dry or sloppy...or it may just be my microwave at work.
  • kayejb519
    kayejb519 Posts: 10
    Options
    It does work fine. I cook mine the night before since I am rushed for time in the morning and reheat later at work. No problems and they taste fine!
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yep. I scramble them up the night before with veggies so I can just microwave them in the morning & eat them while I'm getting ready for work.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'll give it a whirl!
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. I have All Whites egg whites. I measure out 9 TBSP (equivalent to 3 egg whites) into a small tupperware bowl. I add some seasoning and take that to work. I microwave it at work for 1:10 minutes and they are PERFECT! You can add whatever veggies and protein you like, but it microwaves nicely.
  • bquillen
    bquillen Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always measure out my eggbeaters in a bowl with a lid the night before and microwave right before eating breakfast in the morning...
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I have this little container that allows you to microwave eggs. It is the perfect size for an english muffin. Takes about 30 seconds to make. I put 2 egg whites in it with a little salt and pepper and microwave, then add a small amount of cheese and put on a toasted muffin (doesn't have to be toasted). I make them at work sometimes. Tastes just like McDonalds only without the yolk.

I got the thing at Walmart but i think you could use any container with a loose lid.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This morning I made what I call omelet muffins. I took what l liked in my omelets, 12 eggs, kale, green onion, garlic, mozzarella cheese, bacon bits and seasoning. Put it in muffin tin and baked. Came out perfect! Will have one every morning before work. Saves time and very convenient. Hope that helps :-).
  • bikiniready201
    Options
    i always make them the night before and nuke them in the morning. delish!
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    you can also make a batch on the weekend and freeze them in individual portions. Take one out the night before so it defrosts and heat it up when you get to work. I would make large batches like this with veggies mixed in. but watch the veggies you use, and how you cook them. if they have a high water content your eggs may be slightly watery (not runny). also make sure the eggs are cooled before you freeze them. less moisture. now I just cook them at night for the next day.
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Or you can make "egg omelet cupcakes" ahead of time for the week.

You can do either the whole egg, or just egg whites. Works either way. (I usually use a whole egg, yolk and all :-)

For a 12 cup muffin pan, I usually crack between 7-9 eggs into a mixing bowl, add my ingredients (cheese, tomato, onions, green pepper), and whip it all up, then pour the mixture into each muffin cup.

Add up the calories of all the ingredients in your mixing bowl, and then divide by the number of "egg omelet cupcakes" you make to get individual calorie counts.

I bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. If not done after 20 minutes, continue to bake them and check every 5 minutes.

If you're just using a muffin pan, make sure to spray it with cooking spray first.
    If you only have a cookie sheet, you can use baking cups.

I first heard about them from a friend, who sent me the link below from eHow.com
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5623008_cook-eggs-muffin-pan.html

Store them in a container in the fridge, and take them as you want them.
  • Mrs_Trax
    Mrs_Trax Posts: 3
    Options
    My kids make their own "McMuffins" by scrambling the eggs and cooking them in the microwave. They use the little pyrex cups (cant remember their real name right now. Nuke for about 30 seconds, stir and finish cooking. IF you are eating on english muffins these are just the right size.
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This morning I made what I call omelet muffins. I took what l liked in my omelets, 12 eggs, kale, green onion, garlic, mozzarella cheese, bacon bits and seasoning. Put it in muffin tin and baked. Came out perfect! Will have one every morning before work. Saves time and very convenient. Hope that helps :-).

Omelet muffins is such a great idea! I will def. be doing this. Thanks!
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I microwave my eggs all the time-- egg whites, spinach, salsa, and a little shredded cheese. YUM! :)
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hate waiting for a microwave at work then having to deal with some slob that let their food go everywhere and not cleaning up.
    I buy a small carton of egg beaters, cook it all at once and divide it into 1/2 cup serving containers. All the containers get tossed into the fridge where I can grab one and go. At work I just eat the eggs at room temperature instead of microwaving. I don't store my food in a fridge at work. If for some reason I cannot eat the eggs, or other refrigerated items, I throw them out.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    everyday! i make my egg white omelette and heat it up at work.
  • lyssabux
    lyssabux Posts: 3
    Options
    WOW ... love that idea! How long do you bake for?
  • LATeagno
    Options
    So many great ideas! I've been meaning to try egg "muffins." Does anyone know how they need to be stored and for how long they'll keep?