Whats our thought on eating back cals

Options
I'm new hear, but have been working out and dieting for 2 years, I thought I had a good idea on what to do, but have heard people talking about eating back cals. Recently I"ve had a little stall in weight loss, nothing major, and really isn't bothering me to much, but was thinking maybe I should try this.

Right now I am eating 2300-2500 cals a day, which is 500 or so cal deficit. I am doing P90X, with some added cardio on some days, so probably burning 500-1000 cals a day. I would appreciate any advice.

Replies

• FeistyFidget
    Options
    No advice I am afraid wolfe but I am curious to see some other responses. The whole idea of eating back calories that I have burnt off seemed ludicrous at first but if it is actually more beneficial then I will be glad to give it a go!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on it, using the search function right up there ^, you will see that this topic is usually discussed* on a daily basis here.

*Discussed: verb, usually encompasses yelling, screaming, arguing, b**ch-slapping, name-calling, and a bunch of pompous a**es trotting out their personal biases.
  • eblake111
    eblake111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is the best way to explain why you should eat back the cals.
    First off....you need to refuel your body....example:

If you go on a road trip and you need a full tank of gas......but you only fill up the tank half way.
    What happens?
    You get a pretty far distance but then you run out of gas.....you run on empty for a bit...but eventually the car stops.

This is the same as your body.....eventually if you continue to push your body without the proper food or fuel for your exercises....your body will shut down.

Hope this helps :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you are following this site's advice on calories in then you already have enough of a calorie deficit. i.e. you could lose the weight doing no exercise. As a result you can also lose weight by eating back those exercise calories and there are a few good reasons for doing so.

Firstly - if you get a reward for exercising you are more likely to do it, secondly it is more likely that you will maintain a good metabolism and lose weight steadily, thirdly it is just easier to stick to.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Fantastic link. Thank-you!!