Need help :(

Options
I'm not getting discouraged but it's really weighing heavily on my body that I've been trying so hard this past week and I only lost .8 lbs. I've worked out, did upper body work outs, and stayed under calorie goal every day. Stopped eating after 7pm and drank lots of water. What am I doing wrong???!??? I dont snack either...in between meals. HELP! Diary is viewable by all, and please don't be mean about it, I'm honestly trying hard.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting discouraged but it's really weighing heavily on my body that I've been trying so hard this past week and I only lost .8 lbs. I've worked out, did upper body work outs, and stayed under calorie goal every day. Stopped eating after 7pm and drank lots of water. What am I doing wrong???!??? I dont snack either...in between meals. HELP! Diary is viewable by all, and please don't be mean about it, I'm honestly trying hard.

Checked your diary for the past 7 days, and the calorie intake is all over the place. Some days your eating 1300, some days 2000. Be consistent.

Are you sure you have a good estimation of what your TDEE is? Go to my thread "TDEE is everything" in this section of the forums. You'll see it. Once you read that, then go to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html to get a rough estimate of what the numbers should be.

My guess is you are undereating in your weekly calorie intake vs your weekly TDEE. (You aren't eating enough so it's stalling progress some)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Okay girl, here's the straight poop as I see it. For the last week you have been eating WAY too much sodium. This will retain water weight like you wouldn't believe. Try an experiment. Steam 4 or 5 spears of asparagus and for the next week stay under your sodium level. You were way over every day but one. The asparugus(and I swear by this), and taking in much less sodium will do the trick. That is unless you are expecting your monthly visitor this week which I hear will make you retain. Let me know how you make out. Asparagus, lower sodium, drink more water= weight loss for you.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    .8 pounds in a week is almost a pound which is a great weight loss for a week (if i am reading what you said correctly). Some weeks you will lose, others you may not. Just think, that is almost a pound that you never have to carry around on your body again.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Okay girl, here's the straight poop as I see it. For the last week you have been eating WAY too much sodium. This will retain water weight like you wouldn't believe. Try an experiment. Steam 4 or 5 spears of asparagus and for the next week stay under your sodium level. You were way over every day but one. The asparugus(and I swear by this), and taking in much less sodium will do the trick. That is unless you are expecting your monthly visitor this week which I hear will make you retain. Let me know how you make out. Asparagus, lower sodium, drink more water= weight loss for you.

Too much sodium = more water retention

More water intake = less water retention

However, drinking more water doesn't just give you weight loss. Her diet needs to be 100% in check and I'm talking about her calorie intake versus her TDEE. She can drink water like a fish but if she's not eating a consistent deficit week to week, her progress will stall.

That's my "straight poop".
  • chrissiepooh
    chrissiepooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone..my tdee is 2808...i thought by nature if you eat less and exercise more (and ure overweight like me) you lose weight...? I'm so lost when it comes to this stuff, I mean i've been on diets before but never incorporated exercise. i know..shooting myself in the foot. i get that. ugh.
  • chrissiepooh
    chrissiepooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yea it is .8 but when i feel like i was doing everything right, and i didn't cheat not one day, i feel like i should've been rewarded with a higher "lb" loss on the scale :(
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think sticking to 1200-1500 calories a day, less sodium, keep drinking lots of water and you'll lose.
    Weight loss isn't consistent every week. Some weeks you'll lose two pounds other weeks none maybe.
    You're doing fabulous, just gotta keep at it!
    Well done so far!
    And like a previous poster said a lb is a lb. Go weigh something a pound and you don't have that on you any more!
    :drinker:
  • joejccva71
    Options
    thanks everyone..my tdee is 2808...i thought by nature if you eat less and exercise more (and ure overweight like me) you lose weight...? I'm so lost when it comes to this stuff, I mean i've been on diets before but never incorporated exercise. i know..shooting myself in the foot. i get that. ugh.

You still need to be consistent. It also depends on current stats. You should aim to lose 1-2lbs per week and not more unless you are morbidly obese. Then you can afford to eat more of a deficit (consistently), and lose more than 2lbs per week.

I would stick with 1800 calories each day for 4 weeks, stay consistent with it, make sure you get enough protein, and also do some kind of weight resistance training to retain as much muscle mass as possible so you keep good body composition.

Take a multivitamin, fish oil, drink plenty of fluids/water. Keep processed foods down to a minimum, but you don't need to eat clean. Food type doesn't matter as long as you hit your calorie intake and protein requirements. Keep protein intake to .5g of protein per lb of lbm. If you don't know your lbm then just use bodyweight.

As far as food type, feel free to mix it up. You don't need to eat only fruits and veggies. Have a slice of pizza, have some ice cream. As long as you stay at 1800 calories a day, you're fine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why should she be consistent? As long as it averages out to the right amount, it is the same thing. You don't have to eat the same amount every day.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I think sticking to 1200-1500 calories a day, less sodium, keep drinking lots of water and you'll lose.
    Weight loss isn't consistent every week. Some weeks you'll lose two pounds other weeks none maybe.
    You're doing fabulous, just gotta keep at it!
    Well done so far!
    And like a previous poster said a lb is a lb. Go weigh something a pound and you don't have that on you any more!

Weight loss can be consistent every week if you stick to your calorie intake vs your TDEE and remain consistent. When you reach a point where you are getting leaner, then weight loss slows down. The leaner you are, the harder it is to lose more.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Why should she be consistent? As long as it averages out to the right amount, it is the same thing. You don't have to eat the same amount every day.

You're asking me why someone who's trying to lose weight should be consistent?

Is this really a question?

I'm trying to get her to stop from stalling in her weight loss, not continue to be frustrated. =) She needs to start being consistent.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is to try to find motivation and encouragement outside of what the scale says. Change takes time, and I get that you need to stay motivated, but if your only source of that is what the scale says, you will struggle for this whole journey.

It is a victory when you meet your goals for food & water. It is a victory every time you log exersize. It is a victory when you can do 1 more squat, lunge, lift, jumping jack or whatever. It is a victory every time you battle off a craving or control your portion size. It is a victory when you can make it up a flight of stairs and not be out of breath. It is a victory when you perservere day in and day out regardless of what the scale says. In time you will see big scale victories too. Check out some of the success stories - they are inspirational, and a great reminder that you need to think longer term than a few weeks.
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    My 2 cents is to try to find motivation and encouragement outside of what the scale says. Change takes time, and I get that you need to stay motivated, but if your only source of that is what the scale says, you will struggle for this whole journey.

It is a victory when you meet your goals for food & water. It is a victory every time you log exersize. It is a victory when you can do 1 more squat, lunge, lift, jumping jack or whatever. It is a victory every time you battle off a craving or control your portion size. It is a victory when you can make it up a flight of stairs and not be out of breath. It is a victory when you perservere day in and day out regardless of what the scale says. In time you will see big scale victories too. Check out some of the success stories - they are inspirational, and a great reminder that you need to think longer term than a few weeks.

I like this!!! never thought of all the victories.. and you are exactly right..imo. good inspiration and motivation comment.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Weight loss can be consistent every week if you stick to your calorie intake vs your TDEE and remain consistent. When you reach a point where you are getting leaner, then weight loss slows down. The leaner you are, the harder it is to lose more.

I think this can be a massive demotivator. When I first started I was consistent but 8 months later one week I lost three pounds the next nothing but I wasn't doing anything different. Weight does not know Monday to Sunday or weekdays and hours. A woman especially can fluctuate like crazy. I say to the OP don't feel down if one week you don't lose anything, because the next week you may lose 2bs or even 3. There are some very opinionated people on here but at the end of the day everyone is different and everyone's body works in weird and wonderful ways. Celebrate all successes, because they come in all shapes and sizes! (including size 14UK jeans which I have just purchased meaning much more to me than a number on a scale!)
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    you know i think it can take our bodies a while to catch on, i had no movement in my first like 10 days, then 4 pounds and steady since...
  • hklaquadra
    Options

I agree with this ... I consulted a diet/fitness guru and what he told me was that asparagus is a natural diuretic. He had me eat 1 cup steamed 3 times a day for a week along with the other foods that he planned out for me and I lost a LOT of water weight. Once I was able to drop a few pounds that way, it was not only a great motivator, but it got my body balanced out with regards to my water retention problem without taking drugs.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I'm trying to get her to stop from stalling in her weight loss, not continue to be frustrated. =) She needs to start being consistent.
    Can't she zigzag her calories and have enough of a deficit to lose 2lbs a week? 1200 on day 1400 another then 1100 then 1600 as long as your deficit is the same at the end of the week? Sometimes this confusion will help kick start things as well.

Editted to add I am not looking to start an argument. I am really just wondering if the exact number has to be that consistent as long as the deficit is the same at the end of the week?
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Can't she zigzag her calories and have enough of a deficit to lose 2lbs a week? 1200 on day 1400 another then 1100 then 1600 as long as your deficit is the same at the end of the week? Sometimes this confusion will help kick start things as well.

Editted to add I am not looking to start an argument. I am really just wondering if the exact number has to be that consistent as long as the deficit is the same at the end of the week?

I agree. Also in a non argumentative-way. Just wanting to hear this perspective.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Her TDEE is over 2800.
    Eating at 1200 is a deficit of 1600 which is way too high.

There is no need to drop lower than 1800.
  • connierosee
    Options
    whatever you do, dont lose hope or be discouraged! what we're all doing is so hard!
    and it'll all be so worth it in the end, just have to invision that end goal! which too is
    hard but you can do it!!! we all have times where we're not where we want to be
    and aren't getting results or doing as well as we could, but just trying is what counts :)