Toning the loose skin??

I have 60 pounds to lose and I was wondering how everyone is toning up as they lose weight. I already have "wings" under my arms that I would LOVE to get rid of. I'm 36 and they are sooo embarrassing. I try to wear 3/4 sleeves when I can find them. I need to start a good exercise DVD or something I can do at home. What has helped you?

Replies

• jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    I didnt have a bunch of weight to lose when I first started out but I wanted to lose some and mostly tone up! I love working out at home! I have a couple workout videos that I switch between during the week! One I absolutely love is SWAT: Rapid Tone and Firm, check it out on youtube or something! There is a couple other SWAT workouts as well! This video comes with a cheap resistance band that I didnt like but I just use weights intsead! I also do some P90X a few times a week and I really like this as well! It is kind of expensive but I got lucky and was able to borrow it from my fiance! You can check out my before and after/during pictures on my profile if you would like! That weight loss was in a 5 month period just using the SWAT workout DVDs I have! I am now using P90X to get that last bit of muscle definition to show! :)
  • carrikc1
    carrikc1 Posts: 8
    Thanks for the information. I looked up SWAT on youtube. Looks good. Now I'm going to see if anyone has it on Ebay! :smile:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I have a few friends that have lost a lot, and they did a mix of cardio and lifting weights, and then just time. I think that last part is the hardest part, sometimes skin just takes time to catch up.

If you don't want to go the gym to lift weights, here are some videos that might be good to help tone up your arms especially.

Anything by Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 etc etc - Best part $10 each usually, so not very expensive. She does a lot of overall, but my arms and shoulders are always sore after her workouts, so I know she must really work the upper body.

P90X...never done it, but I always see before and afters and people are freakin buffed out! lol

Good luck!
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    I do both. this way the change works together.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    I've read up on this a lot because it's one of my biggest concerns. So far what I've learned is loose skin will be less of a problem if you lose the weight slowly. You also want to be sure to use moisturizer and drink tons of water to keep the skin well-hydrated, this helps it maintain it's elasticity and tighten up a bit. Building muscle will help to add volume underneath the skin and make it look less "droopy."
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I've lost a hundred and odd pounds, with a way more to go. Yes, my skin is a teensy bit saggy, but not enough that anyone else notices - I see it, but my partner doesn't, for instance. I work out hard, make sure I lift several times a week, and I do cardio most days. I moisturise. I drink enough water to keep me comfortably well hydrated. I eat good, healthy and unprocessed food about 95% of the time (everyone deserves and needs a bit of treaty junk now and again!). I'm not sure whether this is why my skin isn't *too* bad, but I suspect that it's a combination of that and genetics.

My advice would be to focus on getting the weight off, and don't worry too much about your skin for now. Keep fit, eat well, and if, when you've reached the weight and level of fitness you want, you're still concerned about skin, then you can address it. No point in worrying overly about something you can't do much about for now.

The poster who mentioned time is also spot on, btw. It takes up to two years of maintainence for your skin to 'catch up' with your weight loss. You won't know how good or bad your skin tone is for a little while yet. That said, 60lb really isn't *that* much. You rarely hear of people having significant skin tone problems with that kind of weight loss.
  • I'm not sure about the loose skin. I've read a few threads where people says it takes a year for you body to naturally tone it up, just make sure you drink lots of water and keep eating healthy, your body should do the rest. It probably won't get too tight with your age (no offense), but the skin loses elasticity over time.
    As for workout DVDs, I've done 30 Day Shred and I'm currently doing P90 (less intense and kind of the preview to P90x). 30DS is quick and killer, Jillian says over and over there's no stopping. But on the plus side, if you're short on time (work, kids, etc, school for me), it's only about 20min long and doesn't require much space. P90 I've been doing for a few weeks now and it's more focused on muscle definition. Tony allows you to pause and go at your own pace, it's different routines to keep things interesting, and all of the moves are realitvely simple. Both require hand weights (or P90 you can have resistance bands) and a mat. 30DS was about $10, and I found P90 online for cheaper, but it's normally about $75 I believe.
    Good luck!
  • Thanks for the information. I looked up SWAT on youtube. Looks good. Now I'm going to see if anyone has it on Ebay! :smile:

I don't have any helpful advice because I haven't lost the weight yet. I just wanted to mention the website Half. It's owned by eBay and sometimes you can find better deals there than on eBay itself. Good luck to you!

http://www.half.ebay.com
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,323 Member
    I think it is great you are asking this question now. So many ask it after losing weight quickly and already have alot of loose skin. I have read that it may take the skin as much time to adjust as it did to gain the weight. It needs time. I am losing slowly and am putting exercise high priority. Drinking water helps your skin too. I do aquafit and it is great for core muscle toning but we do alot with dragbells and our arms. So far so good. I have found I lose alot of inches when I am exercising and maintaining my weight (otherwise known as plateaus). So they may be frustrating but plateaus can have an up side in letting your skin catch up to your weight loss. I feel they were caused by eating too few calories while exercising alot. Anyway don't go for surgery right away give your skin time to adjust. It will given time. Some people may need it but really being patient and working out does alot. I do weight training but can't reallly advise you on that. Taking some time losing weight will minimize the problem. You will more likely get the nutrition you need and learn to eat the way you need to to keep it off. You are doing the right thing in asking these questions now. I just read a post above that mentioned age. I am alot older than you and I do not yet have the loose skin problem. I have seen pictures on here of those who are older than you who have lost weight and are toned. I am sure it depends on your skin but you know it better than anyone. If it needs alot of moisturizer then use it. I have always had oily skin so I don't use it enough but seem to be fine for now. I just use less drying cleansers. So don't worry you aren't that old. Best wishes.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    That said, 60lb really isn't *that* much. You rarely hear of people having significant skin tone problems with that kind of weight loss.

I beg to differ with this quote. I have lost a little over 60 pounds and in my opinion I am still dealing with significant skin tone problems. True, a lot of it is probably genetic and the fact that I have had three children and been overweight most of my life. I exercised religiously doing both cardio and weights, drank water like a fish and have been solely responsible for any and all profits of several lotion companies over the past year.
    I don't mean to scare you by any means, but sometimes nature has a different idea and you just have to deal with it. I know I will never be the grandma on the beach in a bikini but I wear my saggy baggy elephant skin as a badge of success in my weight loss. :grumble:
  • fcbryant75
    fcbryant75 Posts: 17 Member
    Along with moisturizing, drinking lots of water, and lifting weights, I've also read that exfoliating in the shower with a loofah and then putting on a good quality nutrient-containing moisturizer can help (I'm using Cerave after showers, and cocoa butter an additional 1-2 times a day. I've lost 25 lbs so far out of about 60, and I'm just trying to stay ahead of it. It can't hurt!
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    cant really help you on the loose skin toning thing other what other people have said but iv got a dvd called bingo wings blaster its one of the fit in 5 to 20 range been doing it for a couple of weeks and have seen a difference might be worth checking it out on amazon
  • carrikc1
    carrikc1 Posts: 8
    That's why I'm asking now. Just starting my 60 pound journey and wanted to start it out right. Thanks for all the answers and help.
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    I am almost half way through my journey and I know there will be skin issues. I use skin tightening wraps every other weeks and defining gel every 3 days. It's helped A TON!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no lose skin yet and its feels even tighter then before i started losing weight!