Whole wheat pasta vs. regular pasta?

Options
The_Ub
The_Ub Posts: 7 Member
Why is it said that whole wheat pasta is better for you than regular? I look at the nutrition labels of both and while both are close regular pasta has less potassium and more thiamin?, riboflavin?, niacin?, and folic acid?? Is wheat pasta really better for you? And if it is, why?

Replies

• LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It has more fiber and helps you feel full longer. And I have gotten to where I prefer the taste and texture of whole wheat pasta.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    WW does have more fiber, but i havent made the full switch to it. i like it, i like whole grain, i like white. i buy whats on sale and dont feel guilty about it.
    white pasta usually has extra vitamins added to make up for the fiber and stuff i guess.
  • Cookme1
    Cookme1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry, I don't eat much pasta, but I can't get past the taste of whole wheat. Nasty.
  • LindsayE007
    Options
    This is a great point. I am very into eating "whole foods" and that is exactly what happens with white pasta and bread. They strip it down basically depleting it of nutrients and then try to add them back in at the end. But your body never absorbs or processes the "added" nutrients like it can in the natural form nature intended. Whole wheat pasta is just that, just whole wheat pasta, no additives (the brand I buy anyway). Just something to think about.
  • amykathleen2005
    amykathleen2005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also, enriched white pasta has had the nutrient taken out and put back in. Therefore they are in less of a natural state and not as easy for your body to use properly.
  • LindsayE007
    Options
    WW does have more fiber, but i havent made the full switch to it. i like it, i like whole grain, i like white. i buy whats on sale and dont feel guilty about it.
    white pasta usually has extra vitamins added to make up for the fiber and stuff i guess.
    This is a great point. I am very into eating "whole foods" and that is exactly what happens with white pasta and bread. They strip it down basically depleting it of nutrients and then try to add them back in at the end. But your body never absorbs or processes the "added" nutrients like it can in the natural form nature intended. Whole wheat pasta is just that, just whole wheat pasta, no additives (the brand I buy anyway). Just something to think about.

Sorry, meant to quote this post.
  • truc111
    truc111 Posts: 5
    Options
    Whole foods are better for you. The less processed and lesser ingredients the better.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wholewheat products are nearer their natural state & less refined, white foods generally have been over processed & during that procedure loses much of its goodness. This is why they are fortified with "extra" vitamins but the uptake of these vitamins isn't efficient because the food isn't in/near its natural state, oh the irony!

Eat what you like but wholewheat is better for you & IMO tastes better, white foods are so bland!

Russ
  • rkpixler
    rkpixler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Rozini smart taste, it taste like regular pasta but is way less calories and has added fiber to make you feel fuller. I think it is a great happy medium!
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Corn pastas. I can't eat wheat and I swear these taste so much better than regular pasta :)
    Brands I think that are the best; to me anyway are "DeBoles" and "Quinoa Harvest". Yum!
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Me and my partner made the switch ages ago but the annoying thing is that it is no where near the price of ordinary pasta. In fact while I'm on a rant, why does all 'better choice' food cost more money!?!
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't eat much pasta, but I can't get past the taste of whole wheat. Nasty.

Same here. I'm all for whole wheat, but I just don't like the pasta. I eat it maybe once a month, and we use white.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The regular pasta is enriched, which means that the vitamins are added in artificially, more or less.

I like whole wheat pasta because.... warning, tmi ahead...... it makes me poop. I need a certain amount of fiber, and whole grains are the easiest way for me to get it without getting a whole bunch of gas.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Sorry, meant to quote this post.

Lol, unless the phytate content of the whole wheat pasta inhibits mineral absorption, making actual nutrient absorption comparable to white pasta. White pasta is tastier as well. Just something to thing about
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I usually buy whole wheat but not always. I also look at the calories and there is one brand that has less calories per serving that I usually get... if the store is out of whole wheat in that brand, i usually stick with the regular kind in that brand just because of the calories.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Credit to all of you who can stomach the whole wheat pasta. I can't at all. I eat regular pasta and I eat it a lot!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Me and my partner made the switch ages ago but the annoying thing is that it is no where near the price of ordinary pasta. In fact while I'm on a rant, why does all 'better choice' food cost more money!?!

"Better choice" food costs more money because it costs more to produce. It's the reason processed foods exist in the first place.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've switched to whole wheat pasta and brown rice and I absolutely love the whole wheat pasta texture and flavour - the rice I probably need to improve my cooking skills to fully appreciate.

I notice that white rice has good iron but white versus brown in all those kinds of foods (bread as well) always seems to be fortified to make it better somehow...
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Rozini smart taste, it taste like regular pasta but is way less calories and has added fiber to make you feel fuller. I think it is a great happy medium!

I love the Smart Taste pastas! They're delicious! And the Garden version as well, though I prefer it with a tomato based sauce. More nutritious than plain white pasta.

I like whole wheat pasta as well, especially for prepackaged foods just to get a bit more fiber. Annie's Whole Wheat Shells and White Cheddar is delicious, the whole wheat pasta gives a bit of sweetness to it and helps me feel more full.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Rizopia brown rice pasta FTW. :D