I will be abstaining from wheat completely...

Options
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/09/your-addiction-to-wheat-products-is-making-you-fat-and-unhealthy/245526/

This will eliminate a lot of foods I know but I will see how I feel in about a month. Only eating one ingredient foods for now on...

Replies

• ferb55
    ferb55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my best friend hasnt ate wheat in over two months. She has lost a lot of weight and feels so much better. Im starting no wheat /low carb diet today. good luck with your journey!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have never felt better than since i've cut wheat out of my diet. I'm not getting colds and flu all the time, i'm not perpetually tired and my digestive issues are all but gone. It's not an easy transition but one that is well worth it.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes for you! I eat very little wheat as it is, no breads of any sort. The only things I eat wheat in generally are things like Akmak crackers, or organic things.
  • syar
    syar Posts: 5
    Options
    I have also cut wheat our and lost weight now. I find adding more protein in has also helped. I also don't get as many colds and if I do they don't last very long and they usually can go away without me getting a prescription. I do occasionally eat stuff with wheat, but I don't feel "good" afterwards. Tired and Bla for a few days afterwards.
  • mtppatrick
    Options
    Yeah Ive been eating whole grain wheat bread for the longest time thinking it was a healthy choice. Turns out its not! I cant wait to have more energy and lose some visceral fat (and some belly fat as well).
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the article!! I want to try this!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Wheat is in so many things, things you would not consider it being in.

My daughter has to be gluten free and it is difficult learning how to cook all over again.
  • mtppatrick
    Options
    Yeah I gotta find beef and poultry that is grass fed only as well...grain is in way too much stuff.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I cut wheat out but found it super hard and just went right back to it! I felt crappy at first because I believe my body was detoxing but I felt better after. I need to get back with the program and cut it down to a minimal again. I lost like 7 pounds in a week by cutting it out!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've been eating wheat despite a celiac's diagnosis five years ago and a wheat allergy diagnosis a few months ago... I really need to cut it out.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I cut out wheat due to an intolerance and found that it's in EVERYTHING. Chocolate, soy sauce, imitation crab meat (no california rolls for me!). It's very frustrating to go shopping.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Possible that grains in general aren't that great for us. Just starting a Paleo diet -- two days and I feel really good. Check out marksdailyapple.com. Good luck. And when the nay sayers start commenting -- just ignore them. :glasses:
  • Laura86
    Laura86 Posts: 11
    Options
    There is a good book called Wheat Belly that is all about wheat's effects on a person and it has a lot of tips and recipes on cutting wheat out of your diet. The Wheat Belly website also has some good recipes on it. I haven't tried it because I'm a vegetarian and so I feel like I already make things a little difficult for my fiance :) but a few of the girls I work with read the book and went wheat free and I know they had really good results and felt a lot better. They even made a few of the recipes from the book including some brownies and some crackers that were really good. I know the one big negative they was that they had to spend a lot more on groceries to make the food.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for a few months now, I got a diagnosis of gluten intolerance and had to learn a completely new way of eating, since gluten was in pretty much everything I ate before. I've felt much more energized, and my persistant heart burn has finally gone away. Be prepared, though. Wheat/gluten is hidden in alot of things you may not think of, like soy sauce and ketchup. Read labels and be prepared if you have to give up something you love. I've also recently found out I'm lactose intolerant, so I'm trying to cut that out, as well.
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    There is a good book called Wheat Belly that is all about wheat's effects on a person and it has a lot of tips and recipes on cutting wheat out of your diet. The Wheat Belly website also has some good recipes on it. I haven't tried it because I'm a vegetarian and so I feel like I already make things a little difficult for my fiance :) but a few of the girls I work with read the book and went wheat free and I know they had really good results and felt a lot better. They even made a few of the recipes from the book including some brownies and some crackers that were really good. I know the one big negative they was that they had to spend a lot more on groceries to make the food.

The reason they're spending so much money is because they're trying to replace a lot of the foods they had before. I've found that this is the wrong way of thinking when going on this diet.

When people elimate wheat, as most celiacs do, they go out and spend loads of money on different types of flours, mixes, and xanthan gum because they can't imagine a life without cookies, brownies, pizza, and whatnot. In the end, most of these people end up with flours that go bad because they don't have preservatives in them, lovely cinnamon and chocolate flavored bricks, or something that has so much bean flour in it you can't get the aftertaste out of your mouth no matter how hard much mouthwash you gargle. Or they buy a gluten free mix like Bisquick gluten free, which is full of sugar and other preservatives, and are dissapointed with the results.

I'm not saying don't try, but start slowly and be realistic. You aren't going to get an exact duplicate of the white bread you grew up with as a child. There are some very good mixes out there, but they are expensive, and probably don't come close to what you really want.

Why not just learn to live without these staples? It's cheaper and healthier. Any hot sandwich filling I normally eat on a baked potato or over rice, and any cold sandwich filling goes well over a bed of spinach or romaine. Use corn tortillas instead of flour, and you can use them to make mini pizzas and fajitas. Choose different desserts like frozen yogurt or flourless cake. Use quinoa instead of pasta. Be creative.

But it's not worth it to blow your budget.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Possible that grains in general aren't that great for us. Just starting a Paleo diet -- two days and I feel really good. Check out marksdailyapple.com. Good luck. And when the nay sayers start commenting -- just ignore them. :glasses:

Not trying to start a fight here. A couple of years ago I jumped on the marksdailyapple bandwagon. I was all about it eating nothing but meat and veggies. Then bam, I got an autoimmune disease. The only thing different was my diet. If paleo/primal works for you great, but its important to remember that everyone is different, what works for one may not work for another.

I'm currently trying gluten free, its been a week and I haven't noticed much difference yet. I plan on getting tested to know for sure if I have an intolerance. Anywho, good luck to you OP! It's tricky to cut out but not impossible.
  • purplegoboom
    Options

Not trying to start a fight here. A couple of years ago I jumped on the marksdailyapple bandwagon. I was all about it eating nothing but meat and veggies. Then bam, I got an autoimmune disease. The only thing different was my diet. If paleo/primal works for you great, but its important to remember that everyone is different, what works for one may not work for another.

I'm currently trying gluten free, its been a week and I haven't noticed much difference yet. I plan on getting tested to know for sure if I have an intolerance. Anywho, good luck to you OP! It's tricky to cut out but not impossible.

The only real way to test for a gluten intolerance is to eat gluten free for 90 days, and then introduce it back into your diet and see what happens. Any blood test they give you is not going to be 100% accurate.

They can diagnose you with Celiac Disease or a wheat allergy, sure, and those are usually accurate. However, you can still have a gluten intolerance and have neither one of these things.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I reduced wheat last year after finding people with hypothyroidism often have problems processing wheat. i had been calorie counting and eas eating what I thought was healthy ie special K cereal, salad sandwiches on wholemeal bread etc but weight loss was very slow even though I was 2 stone overweight.

I dropped all wheat and went low carb end of august and lost 7lbs the first week and 18lbs over the next month. After a month I was missing my toast and yorkshire puds! I decided to just allow one mini yorkie with my sunday dinner and switched to gluten free bread limiting to twice a week and wheat free cereals and still continued to lose.

This last week I had regular bread and been to bathroom twice each day, when usually it had been every few days been usually low carb. Also had cramps and shivers... so will be returning to gluten free bread. I don't know if body not used to it now as I haven't had any since last august.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options

The only real way to test for a gluten intolerance is to eat gluten free for 90 days, and then introduce it back into your diet and see what happens. Any blood test they give you is not going to be 100% accurate.

They can diagnose you with Celiac Disease or a wheat allergy, sure, and those are usually accurate. However, you can still have a gluten intolerance and have neither one of these things.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll stick with it for 90 days and see what happens.