Digital Weighing Scales

I am frustrated! I've been using some digital weighing scales that I've had for ages during my time on MFP and I thought things had been going great.

I came to weigh myself the other day and found I had lost just over a kilo, great I thought. So I stepped off the scales and then quickly forgot the number after the decimal place. So I stepped back on and it said I had instantly gained a kilo!

So, I bought a new set and now have the same issue! So I asked another member of my family to try them and they got varying results as well.

Any one else had this problem?

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    It can be a problem with certain makes. You may find yourself better off with a mechanical scale.
    Digital readings are affected by electrostatic devices and uneven floors. If you have carpet, it's better to place them on a hard surface.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Are they salter? I think that's what it's called. I have them and it's pretty much the same. I use both my digi scale and the wii fit and if they both say the same then I'm happy. The other day the wii said I lost a little and the scale said I gained 2lbs. I was told to keep it on the same spot of floor :/ it's a pain in the *kitten* I wish I had more to say on the matter but it's just a bit **** basically x
  • gailbeck
    gailbeck Posts: 3
    Thats why weighing is so mentally devastating. I try not to weigh but once a week or more. Fluid balance also affects, also the time of day. (which I don't weigh at the same time, so its just a general idea of where I am.0
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    I'm happy with my digital scale. It's a salton I think. The battery has been lasting forever. But it's important to know that lithium batteries can wear out sitting on the shelf before you even buy the product. They age, even if not used.

The flat solid floor is essential. I have to slide mine around on the tile to find a place where it doesn't rock. I have to make sure it's not next to a wall or something that makes me lean my weight to one side. Then it's reliable.

It also "remembers" my last weight. It's not a problem if my husband is also using it and resetting it to his weight in between, but if I'm the only one, I may have to weight myself holding something heavy, then get back on myself for an accurate weight.

I will get the same weight within a tenth of a pound every time if I pay attention to those things.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Yeah.I got a cheap one from walmart. It's accurate enough but sometimes they number does move around a bit.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    It might be the scale, it might be your floor. Surprisingly few floors are actually as flat as we think. If your scale isn't absolutely flat, just a small variation in how you stand might give vastly different results. I had to put a very heavy piece of hardwood down on my floor and put the scale on that to get consistent readings.