Need help with managing pain while exercising.

Options
I have fibromyalgia and the longer I exercise the more the pain is increasing. I am on my 4th week of MFP and am up to about 1 - 1.5 hours of exercise including walking, strength and stretching yoga about 4-5 times a week. I feel good while exercising and just push through the pain but the next day I HURT. And it seems to be getting worse with each week. I cannot lose weight without exercising at least an hour 4-5 days a week. Please help me figure this out if you can. By the way I am also 62. Thanks! Dyanna

Replies

• ex2mom
    ex2mom Posts: 6
    Options
    Try walking or swimming in a pool! Much easier on joints. ALSO, I have knee pains and I ice before and AFTER every workout. Seems to help me! ;)
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Try walking or swimming in a pool! Much easier on joints. ALSO, I have knee pains and I ice before and AFTER every workout. Seems to help me! ;)

well I swim like a rock.....so probably not that one.....and I walk with Leslie Sansone........my main form of exercise.........I will try tthe ice though.......THANKS!!
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi Dyanna,
    I've found that cutting out artificial sweeteners and drinking a lot of water helps to flush out all the yuckiness that aggravates conditions like fibromyalgia. I have polymyositis myself (similar) and diet and water have helped more than any medication I've been on.
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this is something you have access to, but my answer to the same situation was a personal trainer. I'm also 62 and every time I tried to exercise, residual pain would build up and I would feel worse and worse. I questioned how that could be good for me. This time I started with a personal trainer who did a thorough interview with me about my current health, fitness, goals, etc. Then she tested me to evaluate where I was starting from. Week by week she taught me the proper way to build up fitness. I can't tell you how many things I was doing wrong - technique, nutrition, proper hydration (the lack of). It's no wonder I hadn't been successful. I've now been working with her for a full five months. I'm doing things I never thought were possible for me, WITH NO RESIDUAL PAIN! I have muscle definition, strength, balance and 14 less inches than when I started, 6 of them in my waist. Anyway I'm sharing this in case it might be of help. Good luck to you.
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    Serena, thank you so much. I will check this out! Is it expensive? And did you look fpr a particular type of trainer?
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It costs me $160 for 5 sessions but considering the vast improvement it has made in all aspects of my physical and emotional life I consider it money well spent. Look for a training that has full certifications and tailors the program to who the client is. If you'd like I can ask my trainer for tips on finding one. She is exceptional so she might have some good info. In the beginning, I committed to weekly sessions, then I would practice what I learned during the week. Once you have a number of activities down, sessions with the trainer can be less frequent, which would be a way of controlling the cost.

Also, I'd like to add that I find artificial sweeteners and possibly preservatives aggravate my discomfort. The fresher and cleaner I eat, the better I feel. I'm not sure what it is about canned and boxed foods, but I don't do well with most of them.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I use things like hot water bottle, shiatsu massager or TENS or that muscle rub if I have pain and usually by next day or day after I can exercise again.

If I do an early morning session and still bit achey next morning I'll use the above methods and maybe that day pick an easier way to burn caloreis ie sat on sofa with exercise pedals and hot water bottle behind back if it hurts. I can still burn 600 cals on it if I split it to 2 x 30 min sessions if I think an hour in one go will be too much then can go get in bed and heated blanket helps muscles recover too.

My pain issues are more from tight muscles due to neurological condition. I can pull a muscle just trying to get dressed when they are really tight!
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    I also have Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in 1990 so have been through it all and back again. I have had many different experiences over the years with exercise and weight management. What works for me may not work for you. I had to come to terms with the fact that I can't do it all without paying the price (pain). If I choose to do something then I am controlling that one thing and that is what I focus on. If I am in pain after doing it I know that next time I need to take it slower/easier. If I feel better after doing it than I do it again and again. The thing about Fibromyalgia is it changes daily. What hurts today may be fine tomorrow. Acceptance was a key factor for me. Letting go of what hurts when ever possible is a great strength to develop. Priority has great meaning. I get more enjoyment from playing Wii than mopping the floor yet both are sometimes required. My floor is probably not as clean as some but oh well who really cares? I would rather enjoy the aches of having fun than those of a clean floor. Do what makes you feel better most of the time, do what you need to some of the time and do what you have to only when you really have to. Life is too short and I don't think anyone looked back on their life and said "wow I had a really clean floor, that was living". Good luck and feel free to add me if yu want to.
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    thank you all so very much. I have a lot of great information here. I am going to try to listen to my body better for this next week and see how it goes. I did exercise today, my walking with Leslie Sansone whom I love, but did it more gently and followed with gentle yoga for a half hour. That seemed to be a good combo, so I will continue to do that. I also like the idea of breaking up the exercise into 2 times a day instead of one long segment. I will try that too. Thanks again everyone.......you are the best!!
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I take Aleve daily, do gentle walking and you might also want to try Tai Chi...I love love love Tai Chi.... I am lucky enough to live 45 miles from natural hot springs so when my fibro gets really bad I go take a hot soak in the hot mineral springs. I live in an RV so no bath tub but soaking in warm helps me a lot
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    I take Aleve daily, do gentle walking and you might also want to try Tai Chi...I love love love Tai Chi.... I am lucky enough to live 45 miles from natural hot springs so when my fibro gets really bad I go take a hot soak in the hot mineral springs. I live in an RV so no bath tub but soaking in warm helps me a lot

do you have a dvd for tai chi? Also thanks for the reminder about hot springs. We are going to visit our daughter tomorrow and they live close to hot springs. I will pay a visit! Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and the longer I exercise the more the pain is increasing. I am on my 4th week of MFP and am up to about 1 - 1.5 hours of exercise including walking, strength and stretching yoga about 4-5 times a week. I feel good while exercising and just push through the pain but the next day I HURT. And it seems to be getting worse with each week. I cannot lose weight without exercising at least an hour 4-5 days a week. Please help me figure this out if you can. By the way I am also 62. Thanks! Dyanna
    I have empathy for you. I've trained a couple of clients with fibromyalgia and know that from day to day pain can be excruciating or just a buzz. My advice is do what you can do physically and don't overdo. Pain isn't something that you have to endure to lose weight, just stay in good control of your calories. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I have been told numerous times that I can't train like most people. That you can over do it even if you walked for 15 minutes. That the build up has to be slow and low impact. Swimming even if hanging on to the edge so you can kick your legs. Chiropractor, acupuncture both help. I also sleep with a heating pad and I am going to get a heated mattress pad and blanket and sleep with that year round.

Most trainers I have come across do not have enough education to properly train you if you have fibro or cf. Heck some doctors are not on board with it still. I would speak with your doctor who diagnosed you and have them work with you to tailor a workout routine. Try pilates or yoga, it's slow and can lean your body out and is low impact. That may do more good than walking or running as far as seeing results visually.

Sorry for the long response I do literally feel your pain. I am dying right now just from working in the yard yesterday. And popping pain pills isn't the answer either, so many side effects. Good luck.