Anyone doing curves?

Options
I've been going to curves 3x per week. I try to keep my
mouth in check which has been very hard since I've strayed. I'm 5' 2" and 217 and have to get this weight off. I went to curves cause need something quick and was afraid of the machines. Anyone out there succeed under similar circumstances?I

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Curves.....it just didn't do enough for me and I got bored with the repetition and going around in a circle. But, it's worked wonders for other women.
    The real question should be - does it make you feel better? Are you losing weight, do you feel more fit? If it's working for you, that's the important part.
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    If you enjoy it, stick with it. I haven't used Curves, but my sister lost about 60lbs combining a better diet and going to Curves.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I joined curves a few years ago. I was very heavy and lacked self esteem. I liked that curves was only for women and was around the corner from my house. I went there every day. My curves had challenges and a support group type meeting which was very helpful. I lost about 45 pounds. After my membership expired I felt much better about myself and joined a gym that was close to work. Good luck and have fun!
  • lizzybeth5983
    lizzybeth5983 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I go to curves right now, i oringally started doing 3 days a week but noticed that with 4 or 5 days a week I was feeling much better and losing weight more consistently. I love that it is only women and I love that the harder I push the more intesnse of a workout I get. I count my repitions on each machine and then each time around I try to beat it by at least one more from the last one. Good luck and keep it up! I love it!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I *heart* curves. I first joined several years ago--when I was a lot younger--and lost weight VERY quickly (went from about 180 and size 14 to 133 and a size 4 from October to January). I was eating healthier and doing Curves shakes in the morning... I worked out five days a week then. I ended up having another baby, and then two more... so I joined again about a year ago (my anniversary is the 7th of this month). In that year, I've lost 50 pounds, but I've also used other cardio in addition to the Curves. This is where the much older part comes in... the weight sure came off faster when I was in my 20's. lol

You have to push yourself on those machines, since that's how they work--resistance machines rely on you to make the intensity differ. Push yourself, and I promise you that you'll see and feel results.

edited to add: if your curves has the book "The Curves Fitness and Weight Management Plan" available, I recommend it!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves in Dec 2007. I love it. :heart: The ladies are great -- supportive and friendly. I get a travel pass whenever I go on vacation and workout at a club at my destination. Our Curves has Zumba which I also love as well as a boot camp class. I love that I can run in and work out for a half hour (then I also do some push ups, squats, etc and stretching). The workout is well-rounded, and I work those machines HARD. A plus is that although I am no spring chicken, I have NOT injured myself at all. I try to do 4 days a week, but much of my weight loss was doing 3 days a week.

Curves + MFP is a winning combination for me.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I go to Curves, I have been going since last October/Novermber and I love it! It's a good work out that doesn't take too long, there are only women there so no uncomfortableness and I can take my baby boy with me. I have mobility issues and have found that the circuit really suits me, you can push as hard or go as gently as you need to (I have arthritis in my joints so some days are good and others bad) as you go around. The staff are all so friendly and they have really fun challenges and things you can get involved in.
    I have been going 3 times a week as that suits me and my weightloss and overall fitness has been great. At the moment I am recovering from a knee op so they kindly gave me a medical break in my subscription and I can't wait to get back there!!

Good luck!!
  • KiniWoman
    KiniWoman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started going to Curves a little more than a year ago. I went 4-5 times a week. The ladies I met there were fantastic, the owner and the other employees were fantastic and friendly too. I really recommend it, especially if you are just getting back to (or starting) to exercise.

That said, I found that after a little while, it also just didn't seem to be enough. It did get boring (especially if there wasn't anyone to chat with while working out) too. As I got stronger, I felt that the machines were awkward as the range of motion wasn't enough or the machine didn't "fit" me well and ended up straining my shoulder. I have since left there and am seeing a personal trainer. :)

Like someone else said: if it works for *you* and you enjoy it, that's what you should do! :)
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started Curves back in September 2011 and I have lost 10 lbs so far. I have had a lot of obstacles but am trying to overcome. I love the people there and I have known the owner/manager for sometime and she is wonderful and so supportive. I am disabled and this is so much easier for me than going to a gym and lifting weights. Anyone can check out my profile and add me if they would like to be friends.
  • Bucklebeak
    Bucklebeak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I joined curves about 3 weeks ago, have been doing 5 workouts a week. Each workout I am progressing beyond what I did before (tracking on Curves Smart). I follow the eating plan to the letter and have not lost a single inch or pound. Really frustrated right now. I was averaging 7500 steps a day on my pedometer, I'm above 10,000 now and it's making no difference. Anyone have any useful tips? I've always hated working out and found sticking to a diet difficult, but it's at the point where I know I need to get this done. For the first time I have laser-sharp focus on my goal and so far there is nothing to show for it.
    The ladies there are lovely and I find myself looking forward to going each day. Did anyone else have a slow start when they joined?
  • dawnrosina
    dawnrosina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves this past fall and am loosely following the diet plan and doing 3-4 workouts per week. I lost 15 pounds the first month but haven't really lost much since but that is my fault as I've let life get in the way and not stuck to it. I reapplied myself and am hoping to get back on track this week and from this point forward. Have you asked the ladies at Curves what they think the issue might be?
  • cytmom
    cytmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves about a month ago ... I enjoy the workout, but I don't know how to log it as exercise in MFP ... any suggestions ??
  • huntndox
    huntndox Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of curves for nearly 3 years now. I go pretty faithfully three times a week. While i did progress and increase resistance for a while it seems now I'm going down or staying the same. And all that time, I've never lost a pound. However I do think this help me not to gain weight. The other thing it seems to do is provide more flexibility due to the bending stretching etc.
  • Bucklebeak
    Bucklebeak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I chatted to one of the owners during my weekly coaching session and got the standard 'everyone's body works differently.' I get that, I know I may not lose a ton of weight fast like other people do, but to do considerably more exercise than I normally do, with a healthy eating plan, it makes no sense to see absolutely no progress yet. They suggested I give it a few more weeks & re-evaluate it at that point.
  • kjohnson069
    Options
    Go to your excercise tab and under cardio you can log in curves circuit training. I do it 4 times a week and log in :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    :love: I love Curves! It has been an essential part of my success!

ETA Here's a link to the blog I wrote after a year on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/77tes/view/these-sisters-have-lost-it-one-year-on-mfp-374217

Good luck!

Edited again to add: Ha, ha, ha! I just realized that this is an old thread and I already posted on it. Everything I said then still goes!