Gym for the first time?

Options
Hi everyone! Been around for a few weeks but decided to post now.

Long story short, tomorrow I'm going to visit a gym and possibly join. My questions would be:

Is there anything in particular I should look for?
Is there anything I should know but most people overlook?
What equipment or personal stuff do I need to get?

I may ask all of this questions at the gym but I'd like some peer advice in the matter!

It's actually not my very first time, but i went in my early teens, so it's almost all gone.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Weights-and-treadmills-type gym
    or
    Boxing-wrestling-karate-type gym?

Tell us more about where you're going and what you hope to accomplish there, and we can probably assist you better.

Watch out for pressure sales tactics and long-term, no-release contracts at either one.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the questions as such, but I visited every gym local to me to see what I thought about how each one worked, and what benefits one had over another.
    It took me almost a month to look around all the gyms and decide which was best for me, Dont just jump into the first one you look at :)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You really just want to see if what they have works for you and that you're not paying for things you might not use. Every gym is different and vary in price. Do you want classes? Do you want a pool? Are you just looking for cardio or weights? Really, it comes down to what YOU want in a gym.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Make sure you know up front the enrollment fees, monthly fees, they may also offer a reduce rate if you pay the entire year up front. Also ask about terminating your contract. For example what if you have to move out of the area, are you still stuck in their contract and have to pay a monthly fee.

Talk to them into possibly giving you 7 days to try their facility for free before signing a contract. Try out their gym equipment, group classes and pool if available.

Of course tour the facility, ask what their peak hours are for the machine you want to use.

Ask once you sign the contract will they give you so many hours of training you on how to use the machines.

I do not currently have a gym membership because I am lucky enough to have a gym at work, just no group classes :(

Good luck to you! Add me as a friend if you would like,
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    make sure the gym is not so busy that you won't be able to get an equipment when u want it.
    Classes: i love the spin classes, it burns about 600 cals per class and its fun.
    Ellipticals are awesome, make sure they have enough of those and are not broken.

and don't forget to count cals thats what really matters
  • Tranquil_Miche
    Options
    Ask about contract length and cancellation fees just in case, and don’t allow yourself to be pressured into making a decision on the spot.
    Ask if you need to bring your own towels, or if that is provided.
    Ask what the peak hours at the gym are. (I had a membership at a gym that I had to wait thirty minutes to use a machine at times.)
    Ask if they offer complimentary trainer sessions.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Been around for a few weeks but decided to post now.

Long story short, tomorrow I'm going to visit a gym and possibly join. My questions would be:

Is there anything in particular I should look for?
    Is there anything I should know but most people overlook?
    What equipment or personal stuff do I need to get?

I may ask all of this questions at the gym but I'd like some peer advice in the matter!

It's actually not my very first time, but i went in my early teens, so it's almost all gone.

Thanks! :)
    Look at the people working out there. Do they look the way you want to look? There are a lot of different 'styles' of gyms, some which cater to the casual "I don't care how I look as long as I'm not fat" crowd all the way to gyms that consist of mostly professional body-builders and/or power-lifters. Being surrounded by people who are already where you want to be is very helpful! Being surrounded by slackers who spend more time talking to each other or on the phone than working out is very unhelpful.
    Look at the equipment. Any gym that doesn't have free weights/barbells/squat racks etc. is not worth joining IMO.
    Talk to the staff. Are they friendly and helpful?
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would look for what equipment is offered, what shape it is in, are there any certified trainers on staff to answer your questions when you have them during your workouts. and clean, make sure it is clean. check out their policy on everything. I use to belong to a great gym. sadly it close down. Good luck
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Find out if they offer help on the floor. It is intimidating and embarrassing when you can't figure out a machine. Are you going to want to use a machine for cardio? Make sure they have machines that appeal to you. Can't stand the thought of cardio on a machine? Find a gym that has a basketball court or something else you enjoy. Just want to lift? See what the machines go up to in weight and see what the free weight area looks like.
    Do you like the music they are playing? Are there plenty of distractions, like TVs etc. for when you are having a tough time?
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym at the time of day that you would normally work out. It does no good to sign up when it is quiet, and then find out it is packed when you want to use it.

Make sure you check out the locker room. Same reason. If the locker room isn't big enough to accommodate everyone when you want to go, your visits will be frustrating.

For me, I like a few pieces of equipment. Make sure they have what you want to use, and plenty of it. One treadmill won't make anyone happy, but then again, row upon row of unused equipment makes you wonder what they are planning for.

Go do it, and once you sign up, use it! Good luck!
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    I've chosen a gym specifically because there are not many hard-core gymers in it!!! (It's affiliated with a private school, during school hours they use it - I'm at work anyway). I like the fact that I NEVER have to wait for a running machine and usually have the bike when I want it too. I don't generally do any of the weights although they're there too... I know I should! Perhaps one day I will want something else but for now this one is cheap, has a water fountain in the gym and it's not packed.

My kids go to 'activities' in the same building so I can sneak in and get some time on the machines sometimes while they're busy.
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options
    My advise has little to do with the actual equipment and more so to do with the actual gym. I would pay close attention to if you're signing a contract, how long it is, and what there cancellation fees are.

As far as what types of personal equipment you should get, well in my opinion if you're paying for the gym membership I wouldn't bother to buy anything extra, except maybe some running shoes. A gym should have all the equipment you need.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking all the fine print in the contracts. If you know someone who already belongs to a gym, see if they have a buddy pass you could use for a day to check it out!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I just joined a local gym yesterday (cardie/weights) and went for the first time this morning. They have some cardio equipment that I don't so I can mix up what I am doing every day but I primarily joined to get some weight training in. Month to month contract with reduction in price for auto withdrawal from checking account ($33/month - awesome). Open 24/7 with code/fingerprint lock on door. I will have access to a personal trainer that specializes on free weights which is exatly what I am looking for. Downside is there is no steam room.....
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Make sure the gym is fairly busy with a fairly large membership base. You don't want it to be so crowded there isn't space to do your workout, but you don't want to see only the same 10 people in there all the time either. Gyms that have all classes (spinning, aerobics, yoga, cardio-kickboxing, etc) included in the base price tend to draw a more diverse and dedicated crowd. As others have said, a large selection of free weights and weight machines in addition to a large amount of cardio equipment (treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical and stairs machines) is very important. You don't want to waste half your gym time waiting on equipment to open up.

The gym I belong to has all the weights and machines, dedicated spinning class room, dedicated aerobics/yoga cardio room, 5 racquetball courts, basketball court and a 25 meter lap pool. All the classes are included and I can go to any of the gym locations in the state, all for the base price membership.
  • Erchu12
    Erchu12 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

Well, I'm basically looking for a cardio and weights kind of place. Albeit I've asked around and have gotten good reviews on a few, I wanted to check by myself but didn't know what to look for. The contract and fees are a very good thing to have in mind, specially with a student budget like mine. I've picked up a ton of other important things to look at when I go touring places.

Thanks!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ask about a student discount!
  • atrkrswfem
    Options
    Don't over do it on the first day, or it might discourage you from working out in the future, if you get sore from the get go.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would make sure they have the equipment you like to use (free weights, elliptical, treadmill, cycles, etc).
    Make sure the bathrooms/locker rooms are clean & I'd ask how often they are cleaned.
    Do they have classes you can go to (spinning, zumba, kick boxing, whatever you're into) & do they cost more?
    What are their peak times with the most people & how bad is it?
    What's their least busy time of day?
    Can you join month to month or do you have to make a longer committment?
    Ask about student discounts or business related discounts (depending on where you or your parents work).

Enjoy!