Where do you get your recipes from...

Options
cesctheman
cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
Just a quick question. Where does everyone get there recipes from? Let it be website, magazine, or whatever...

Replies

• vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    A combination of bbc.co.uk/food and tried-and-tested things that I have been doing for years. The BBC site is great because you can search according to cuisine, occasion, seasonality, whatever.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I usually go to spark recipes, but sometimes I surf around on other websites too. If I want to make something specific, I might google it to see what comes up.

Some of it though comes from the old fashioned way. My mom taught me how to cook, and I also have coworkers that love to share recipes. My my my... I am an old lady.
  • blondeboms
    blondeboms Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get mine from skinnytaste.com
  • xXKatrinaXx
    xXKatrinaXx Posts: 234
    Options
    bodybuilding.com
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com
    EatingWell magazine
    Cooking Light magazine/website
    MyRecipes.com
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Cookinglight or sparkrecipes. Both are wonderful!
  • aymise
    aymise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually go to http://allrecipes.com/ you can find just about anything there and there is nutritional information for a lot of the completed recipes.
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have found it pretty easy to convert any recipe to a healthy one by just swapping out fatty things for fat-free or heathier choices. For example use unsweetened apple sauce instead of oil in sweet treats like brownies. Use lean hamburger or ground turkey, fat free chicken broth or vegetarian broth, etc....
  • Blees87
    Blees87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eating Well website
    Vegan Yum Yum website (I'm not vegan but they have some great soups and salads)
    Real Simple website
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Most of the things I make consistently were either made up, taken off of a can of soup or a variation on some other recipe or meal that has been ingrained in me.

For example: my hubby prefers potatoes over noodles so I make like spaghetti and turkey but sub potatoes for the noddles...

or I make green bean casserole with 98% fat free soup but throw in some variations like adding ground turkey, or using broccoli or peas instead of beans..but usually by adding the meat, it makes it a meal instead of just a side dish
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm just learning to cook from my wonderful wife, who is here....somewhere...just need some more recipe ideas. I'm gonna have a look Tom.
    Thanks
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    For the intermediate cook and beyond - www.joepastry.com
  • gerald1019
    gerald1019 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get most of my recipes from eatingwell.com. They have some fantastic, easy recipes. I look for recipes for 1 or 2 servings and there aren't a lot of sites that I can find these, but they have lots on their site.
  • zembalina
    zembalina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is a fantastic site. In fact, I have a recipe from the site in my crock pot now!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like to watch the food network and watch shows like Diners Drivins and Dives and a few others for fun and if something jumps out at me that I'd like I research it and figure out how to do it healthy.
  • Nuttytart2012
    Nuttytart2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a couple of healthy eating cook books, one of them tells you how many calories per portion.
    They are pretty good as you dont use much oil and creamy or high calorie/fat items.
    Or if theres something I want to make I search google for a healthy version and see what comes up.
    Good Luck with your weight loss / quit smoking journey :-)
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    I have found it pretty easy to convert any recipe to a healthy one by just swapping out fatty things for fat-free or heathier choices. For example use unsweetened apple sauce instead of oil in sweet treats like brownies. Use lean hamburger or ground turkey, fat free chicken broth or vegetarian broth, etc....

This!

I make an awesome fat-free cornbread with half the sugar. It came from a regular recipe I tinkered with.

The problem with tinkering though is learning to throw out your mistakes and share your successes so you don't gain weight from them.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    foodgawker.com

you will not regret going to that site. It's drool worthy photos with a click through link to the recipes. So many to choose from, tons of healthy options.
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    preventionrd.com
    skinnytaste.com
    skinnykitchen.com
    emilybites.com
    eat-yourself-skinny.com
    sparkrecipes.com
    cookinglight.com
    dashingdish.com

I always check these sites.