Not enough calories to meet recommended protein intake

Options
I've just been reading up about how important protein is when your trying to lose weight / tone up. I started looking at meal plans to ensure I met my protein target but I kept going over my calorie allowance before I could reach the level of protein I need.

Does anyone have any meal ideas / suggestions which could help?

Thank you so much! :)

Louise

Replies

• mreenis
    mreenis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I reset my goals and ate less carbohydrates to increase my protein level to 100 gms daily. I did not lose too many carbs about 30 gms from memory but the increase in protein made me less hungry. Carbs and protein are the same calorie value so by adjusting to suit yourself it will not affect your daily quota.
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I added protein powder into my diet because I couldn't find enough alternatives that didn't pack on sodium or calories. Chicken breast is a good one, but you can only eat so much chicken before you start clucking..... :) I hope you get some great ideas! I will be watching this post!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I added Fiber and Sugar to my food diary settings as carbs as a whole aren't as important. I eat double protein Voskos greek Yogurt as a snack each day, that's 14g protein, I also eat a whole grain high protein tortilla at 8g, daily. I also am fond of those little pouches of albacore tuna. 90 cal and 21g protein, they're great on a salad or with high protein crackers for a 200 cal snack. Make sure you're eating 3 full servings of low/non-fat dairy each day!! Weight watchers string cheese is 50 cal with 2.5g fat and 6g protein. I eat Kashi Go Lean cereal, its 140 cal, 1g fat, 10g fiber and 13g protein. Toss canned black or garbanzo beans on a salad, eat canadian bacon, its lean and low fat! I aim for 30 g protein/meal and 10g for each of my 2 snacks and I come pretty close each day.

Hope that helps!

~~Marci~~
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am over on my protein and under on my calories almost every day - my dairy is open if you want to see it. Just don't look at today & yesterday, burgers & fries two days in a row! :laugh:

But most days I get my protein throughout the day from eggs, tuna, meats, milk, Greek yogurt...a few times a week I make a smoothie & add a 1/2 scoop of protein powder.
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I added protein powder into my diet because I couldn't find enough alternatives that didn't pack on sodium or calories. Chicken breast is a good one, but you can only eat so much chicken before you start clucking..... :) I hope you get some great ideas! I will be watching this post!

CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK....we eat a tone of chicken lol but I feel the same way. I always looking for ideas of what to do with the chicken or what else to eat thats lean
  • LOUISEC90
    LOUISEC90 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! :smile:

I think I'm going to start having eggs for breakfast now and start using protein shakes and hopefully I'll be able to get enough protein!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Lean meats -- chicken, fish, eggs, etc. Protein shakes (some have 30 grams each for around 150 calories).

I can't see your diary so don't know for sure what your calories are or what you eat but usually if you cut down on high calorie carbs such as junk food, pasta, rice and potatoes, you should be able to get enough protein in.
  • lynnsf
    lynnsf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I also use Morningstar and Boca products (e.g, soy based vege burgers, hot dogs, bacon etc). I am on 1200 calories and often go over on Protein.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Egg whites! 17 calories and 3.6 grams of protein--scramble then up with a little milk, salt, pepper, and salsa.