Salad Dressing ideas

Options

Replies

• SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I make my own Ranch. Its only 52 cals per tablespoon and I normally only use 2 (sometimes 3)
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use several different kinds of the Kraft light line. The trick is measuring it out and not pouring it on like I used to and having more dressing than salad. I love salad but have found I can settle for a whole lot less dressing and all the Kraft lights I've tried are pretty good. It's not the best in calories but not the worst either. It's a matter of compromise for me on some things.
  • laurdw11
    laurdw11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Like others have posted... I lik the Maple Farms flavors. I also go for the Newmann's Lite regular and roasted garlic balsamic vingarette dressings. If you don't like balsamic vinegar, and can't get away from the full-fat dressings, you can also use the trick of dipping your fork in the dressing... Sometimes that goes a long way when you want creamy addition to your salad without going overboard of calories.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I love eating salads, and I really love the taste of full flavor (and usually full fat) dressings. I've tried several store bought brands of the light stuff and I'm not a huge fan. What is your favorite kind?

Or do you make your own salad dressing with fewer calories? I'd love ideas. Thanks!

I normally make my own when I can and have fresh ingredients to do so. But my recent trip to the grocery store I was standing in the salad dressing isle looking for something better then what I normally get. When I asked the store clerk if he has ever tried this brand I was looking at he said no but a lot of people buy it. So reluctantly I purchased the salad dressing and I am in love with the brand which is called Ken’s Steak House Salad dressing. Just thinking about it, it makes my mouth water. The one I purchased was the pecan vinaigrette. When I go back to the grocery store I plan on looking at other dressing in this brand. Good luck in finding what you are looking for. They also have a walnut one!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Waldem farms 0 calorie dressings... A GODSEND!!! I particularly like the 1000 island dressing its sooooo good! They have a website that you can order off of if your local grocer doesnt carry it.. And it doesnt taste like light 0 calorie cardboard either.
  • karmamaof2
    Options
    I've been making a dressing with non-dairy sour cream and Muir Glen Chipotle Salsa with a squeeze of lemon juice. It's really tasty and low in fat and calories. It's nice and creamy, but not heavy, and tastes so good!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Kraft FF Catalina

or make my own w/Olive Oil and flavored Balsamic Vinegar - yum.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My dressings of choice are Kraft Olive Oil ones, they are relativly new come in a few flavors, tuscan italian, parmasan, greek, balsmaic..... they are relativly low in calories 35 to 40 per tablespoon and a little goes along way for flavor. Hope that helps.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I too love the fatty dressings but a few of my faves that aren't full fat but are still delicious are:

Girard's Light Caesar
    Trader Joe's FF Balsamic Dressing
    Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (by itself or made into dressing)
    Home made dressing with Balsamic vinegar and cut back on the oil
    Home made tzatziki~full fat plain Greek yogurt (of course you could use FF if you want) with shredded cucumbers, garlic, black pepper, and whatever herbs you like. Fresh dill is good but I'm out so have been using dried dill + fresh parsley.

Here's a pic of my salad with my tzatziki. You can see that I use a lot and still much lower cals than most regular dressings:
    6799525630_5dc14595d0.jpg
  • LaraMercier
    Options
    I have the same problem but I love avacado. So I just dice up about one quarter of a medium sized one and sprinkle it over my salad with a sprinkle of lemon juice and some pepper. I have considered mushing the avacado with a tiny but of olive oil, and the lemon juice to make a kind of dressing. It is creamy and makes it more fulfilling. I also usually add around a tsp of sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts to give it a little crunch so I don't miss croutons
  • annalistic
    annalistic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use one tablespoon of ranch dressing and mix in a tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I make my own by mixing together oil, vinegar, brown sugar, and a few hot pepper flakes.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Wishbone salad sprays are fantastic as well as the Walden line of dressings.
  • giraffells
    giraffells Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Paul Newmans light basalmic vinaigrette. It is delicious. Or depending on kind of salad. Salsa. Mmm
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I've been taste testing quite a few...

The Kraft FF ranch tastes like a light creamy italian 60 cals pretty good and not teeth squeeky)
    Paul Newman's Light Honey Mustard is very creamy but 70 cals very good on spinach salad
    Market Pantry FF Ranch is the best ever and tastes like full fat dressing -- 45 calories
    Kraft FF french pretty good for a bit of change or spice

Since the serving is 2 tbsp, I do mix them every once in a while for great results and a change up.
  • chiv123
    chiv123 Posts: 36
    Options
    I eat whatever full-fat dressing I want (right now I'm on a 100-island kick). I take a tablespoon or two of the dressing and add equal parts plain greek yogurt to it to cut calories and sugar and increase the protein ratio. Works like a charm!
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love eating salads, and I really love the taste of full flavor (and usually full fat) dressings. I've tried several store bought brands of the light stuff and I'm not a huge fan. What is your favorite kind?

Or do you make your own salad dressing with fewer calories? I'd love ideas. Thanks!

I normally make my own when I can and have fresh ingredients to do so. But my recent trip to the grocery store I was standing in the salad dressing isle looking for something better then what I normally get. When I asked the store clerk if he has ever tried this brand I was looking at he said no but a lot of people buy it. So reluctantly I purchased the salad dressing and I am in love with the brand which is called Ken’s Steak House Salad dressing. Just thinking about it, it makes my mouth water. The one I purchased was the pecan vinaigrette. When I go back to the grocery store I plan on looking at other dressing in this brand. Good luck in finding what you are looking for. They also have a walnut one!

Ken's Light Northern Italian dressing is good, too. And I hate italian dressing!!:smile:

For taco salads, mix 2 parts salsa to one part ranch...yum
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has some really good recipes. The creamy tomilla cilantro dressing is wonderful!!
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    I switch off all the time to add variety, some full fat some low fat, just depends on how many calories I have to play with. If I add fruit (diced apples, rasins, etc) to my salad, I like to use a raspberry vinaigrette. Marie's and the Kraft Light both have similar fat and calorie contents. I have tried a couple of the salad spritzers lately, only one calorie per spritz and not a bad flavor on the ones I have tried. I also often use salsa when I don't have a lot of calories to spare....lots of flavor, very few calories.
  • Survivor1997
    Survivor1997 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Check out the recipes for these salad dressings. Many of them sound yummy!

http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/sauces_dressings/saucesanddressingsindex.htm