Ankle pain while running...

Options
I need help from seasoned runners. I am a beginner and just changed from running on the treadmill to running on the road. I could run 5k on treadmill with no problems. On the road I have intense ankle pain. What gives? I'm signed up for a 5k this weekend and I really want to run pain free!

Replies

• yluuuu
    yluuuu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but could it be because you're not used to running outside? I know for me running on the treadmill and running outside feel pretty different.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd guess your shoes. Have you gone to a running store to have them fit you for shoes? (In my area the shoes sell for about the same price I'd pay online for them) At the very least they should be able to tell you for free if you are using the proper shoes for your running pattern.

Also one tip I wished I had learned earlier in my running adventures, get some non cotton socks. (the synthetic or w/e) My feet were always getting torn up before I changed socks.

Sometimes my ankles used to hurt at the beginning of my runs but the pain would go away after the first mile or half mile or so. Maybe make sure you are streching properly as well.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    the treadmill is a bit cushioned so it absorbs some of the impact but your ankles are taking more of a beating on the actual road. it might also be time for new shoes. (not that i'd recommend that before the race) treadmill running is definitely different than running on the road and your body probably just needs time to acclimate to the additional pounding. the angle can be a bit different too. when you're running outside you have to pick your foot up a bit more. if you don't run with an incline of 1-2 you are probably also working different muscles outside than you've used indoors.

ibuprofen would probably mask the pain if you take it an hour before the race, but i'm not advocating getting drugged up before a run. :blushing:

best of luck!
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Same as the other poster most likely your shoes. But another option is to wear ankle braces for some added support
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Proceed with caution and get it checked if it continues.

I had the opposite happen... ankle pain (about two inches above the ankle bone on the outside) after switching from running outside to the treadmill. Ended up with a stress fracture of the fibula. Still bugs me a little, but I'm back to running again.
  • betsyt915
    betsyt915 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do have New Balance stability shoes that I was fitted for. They are getting old, so maybe a new pair after this weekend. I just don't want to quit running. It's so peaceful to run outside!
  • betsyt915
    betsyt915 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What kind of stretching do you recommend? So may different opinions. Some experts even say to only stretch after aerobic exercise and not before.
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    I never stretch before - I take the first few minutes of the run a little slower to warm up.
    I stretch after the run since my muscles are warmed up. I have yet to have any problems from this routine.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used to never strech before running, but I was having issues as my runs got longer with leg cramps etc. Once I changed to doing some basic streches before I ran, I found I didn't get the leg cramps etc.

Here is a link to some

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    I tend to get ankle pain on the inside of my ankles. The ground is less forgiving than the treadmill which is likely why you're feeling the difference. When my ankles bother me, I rotate them in different directions before and after running. If they're really bothering me, I write each letter of the alphabet using my toes as if they were the tip of the pen or pencil. I also ice them if they're really hurting. Definitely don't change sneakers now before the run - depending on how you run, they suggest getting new running sneakers every 300-500 miles. Hope this helps! Good luck with your race