Looking for Lemon recipes

Options
jfcameron23
jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
I could either buy 1 lemon for $.99 or a bag of 12 for $2.00. I bought the bag and now need some recipes so they don't go to waste

Replies

• lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome lemon meringue pie recipe that I tried with a whole wheat crust. Just let me know and I will send it to you!

Jean from Iowa
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    Options
    Homemade lemonade? My mom always cut them in long spirals, but if you use Splenda it could be a treat rather than sugar. Squeeze several lemons, and marinate fish or chicken. Just add garlic, olive oil, and whatever seasonings.

My favorite way to have orzo pasta is to boil al dente, drain, add a little olive oil, juice of two lemons, fresh herbs (I use basil, parsley, and thyme), add salt, pepper, and some feta cheese, all while it's still hot. Toss and serve. It's to die for!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Lemons do keep well in the frig. If all else fails, squeeze them and keep the juice. Lemon juice is great for so many things:
    - to finish sautéed greens
    - salad dressing, with a little olive oil
    - on fresh cooked fish
    - over tuna or salmon salad (instead of mayo)
    - in grain or pasta salads
  • jfcameron23
    jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    mmmmm that pasts recipe sounds delicious!!! I would love the lemon meringue recipe.
  • diagilb
    diagilb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just juice them and freeze the juice in ice cubes. This way you will always have fresh lemon juice when needed.
  • jtallwood
    jtallwood Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you want to make something sweet that isn't too high in calories (and is soo yummy!) : Lemon pudding cakes (157 cals with the ingredients I use)!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lemon_pudding_cakes.html
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just juice them and freeze the juice in ice cubes. This way you will always have fresh lemon juice when needed.

Ditto if you're looking for a way to make it last. :3
    And, if you ever feel like it, pop a few cubes of frozen lemon juice into a glass of water, diet coke, tea: the list goes on. :D
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Lemon chicken, it's fantastic.
    Mash garlic onto chicken and soak it in lots of lemon juice, then fry in olive oil. Then serve on rice. Epic lemon chicken-- super healthy and really flavorful!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I add them to my water sometimes
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lemon Meringue Pie

Filling:
    1/2 plus 1 rounded T. cornstarch
    2/3 C water
    1/2 C Fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp honey
    1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks
    1/1/4 tsp. grated lemon rind
    1/2 C Truvia
    2 T butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    pinch of salt

Crust: Prepare pastry for single crust pie and bake. Cool.

Filling: Stir together cornstarch, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling over med high heat, stirring constantly until thick. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
    Whisk egg and yolks with lemon rind and Truvia sweetener in a medium bowl. Add several tablespoons of the hot filling to the egg mixture and stir. Then pour the egg mixture into the hot filling and return to heat. Cook over low heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
    Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, and salt. Pour filling in to cooled prebaked crust and cool while you make meringue.

Meringue:
    3 egg whites
    1 T Truvia
    1/2 C water
    1 T cornstarch

2 T. Truvia (added later)
    Combine 1 T. Truvia, cornstarch, and water in saucepan. Cook mixture until thick and clear, stirring constantly; set aside. In glass or stainless bowl, beat 3 egg whites until frothy, adding 1 T Truvia at a time, beating until very stiff. Remove beater and add cooked mixture. Mix in gently. If beaten in, meringue will get tough. Spread meringue on filling and seal to edges. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until meringue is browned. Store pie in refrigerator.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (doesn't use a whole lot of lemon juice but the more the merrier :drinker: )

chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/04/07/mini-muffins-are-so-cute/

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (doesn't use a whole lot of lemon juice but the more the merrier :drinker: )

chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/04/07/mini-muffins-are-so-cute/

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna

I don't know if I'm just being really dense here but what does she mean by 1 T. Is that a tablespoon?