Am I Not Getting Enough? Or Too Much?

Options
OK. This is something I haven't been able to answer yet. My net calories have rarely been above 900 (the goal net calories has been set at 1375), but I eat around 1200-1400 per day and exercise for at least an hour.

My main question is that I've hit a plateau with my weight loss. Only 4 more pounds to go. What should I do? The above describes my eating and exercising habits for the past 5 weeks. I've lost 10 pounds and I've overhauled my diet to be really healthy (as healthy as a college kid can be).

So, should I just keep going? Add intensity? Add time (which is much harder to do with my schedule)? Eat less? Run more? Run harder? All of the above? If I do that, is my body getting enough? I am trying to avoid starvation mode at all costs.

I strength train maybe 3 times a week and do cardio every day. Should I add even more strength? Go harder for strength? Go more reps lighter weights or less reps and heavier weights?

Let me know what you think! Professional opinions are greatly appreciated as well.

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    not knowing your current weight, I'd guess your not eating enough. 900 isn't enough to maintain a proper metabolic state. I would try upping cals a hundred at a time and get closer to your net caloric goal. try it for a couple of weeks and see what the weight does. Being 4 pounds from your goal though, your results will probably be fairly slow coming. just give it time and eat a little more. Hope this helps
  • anpilson
    anpilson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 129 lbs. And I've been losing weight consistently at around 600-900 net calories. I'm soooo close and I know it will take a while, but I don't want to gain the fat back.

But I'm also not that hungry usually to eat back my exercise calories.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You've screwed up your metabilism and your body thinks you are starving it, because you are. You need to eat more. Get at least 1200 net calories, slightly more would be even better
  • cynthiajschoch
    Options
    definitely make sure you're netting a minimum of 1200 calories; your body is hanging onto everything it has right now so that it can make sure to have enough to burn with all the exercise you're doing. if you don't want to eat more, try working out a little less.

also, have you measured yourself? you're working out a lot, which means you're building muscle, which weighs more than fat. you might still be losing fat but gaining muscle. try going by inches instead of pounds. (you'll need a cloth measuring tape, not a metal one!)
  • cynthiajschoch
    Options
    also, make sure you're getting AT LEAST 64 oz. of water (not counting juice or other liquids that aren't plain water) every day. if your body thinks it's dehydrated, it'll stop burning calories. you should drink even more water on days when you exercise; probably another 8 oz for every half an hour of fitness training.
  • anpilson
    anpilson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely trying to get enough water. It certainly becomes a chore to drink it some days. And it's really hard to net 1200 calories! I mean, I could stuff my face with junk food, but to get that many from healthy foods without overdosing on carbs is kinda difficult. Working on it though. So, general consensus, eat more and drink more.