Issues with calorie goals...

Options
I have been having a very hard time getting up to my calorie goal (which is 1200). I am trying to eat healthy throughout the day but by the time the last snack of the day rolls around I still have anywhere from 100-300 calories left. I don't know how to get more food in without eating junk or stuffing myself. I work out but never use any of my extra calorie points because I'm afraid that if I do I will not lose the weight. Please, some advice?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Define "junk" -- 1 oz of peanuts (the brand I get) is 180 cal, so not really stuffing yourself and not that unhealthy either.

I'd really advise trying to hit at least 1200 even if you don't go for the exercise cals -- and I wouldn't let yourself get more than a 1000/day deficit, either. (including the deficit MFP has already calculated for you).
  • rkpixler
    rkpixler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try adding healthy but higher calorie snacks like, grapes, bananas, popcorn, frozen fruit bar, things of that nature. Also adding more lean protein would would help up your calories.
  • cshevlin
    cshevlin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    By junk I mean candy and take out.
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    A 300ml glass of the brand of full cream milk we buy is 190 calories. You can add 2 tsp of hot chocolate powder for another 80 calories. Easy fix to the base deficit.

You say you are not eating back your exercise calories. How many calories are you burning through exercise usually? You may be creating too high a deficit. (Remember, your goal already creates the deficit you need to loose weight at a healthy rate... creating too large a deficit is problematic and can be counter-productive to effective long term change, as a myriad of people have reported and discussed in these forums before.)
  • cshevlin
    cshevlin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, long term damage is what I'm worried about. I am normally working off an average of around 200-600 calories a day using a dancing game for the Kinect almost nightly
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't top off your calories with takeout and candy. I'd look into things like milk, cheese (if you can handle dairy), peanuts (if you can handle those), fruit like bananas -- and if I find I'm short of protein, a can of tuna fixes that pretty quick.