What was your "aha" moment?

Options
For those of you who have had sustained success losing weight on MFP, what was your "aha" moment? Was it a specific combination of exercise & net calories? Was it a specific macro ratio? Other tips or tricks? I feel like I have been having some success but am just missing something and I can't quite figure out what it is- am I eating too much or too little? Should I eat more or less of a specific macro nutrient? I've been trying various tweaks for months now and, although I've lost some weight (12 lbs), it is excruciatingly slow and I feel like I am just missing some essential piece. Any advice is welcome!

Replies

• JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know that my "aha" moment had anything to do with numbers or nutrients or macros...but I started consistently losing weight when I started forcing myself to eat breakfast, eat healthy snacks between meals, and drink water before eating always. I started losing more weight, also, when I started actually planning ahead for each day and not just flying by the seat of my pants menu-wise.
  • meancoffeebeans
    meancoffeebeans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it was figuring out that not all calories are created equal. Sure, I could stay under my calorie ceiling eating pizza and small burgers, but I didn't lose very much weight. MFP is wonderful for tracking calories, but a lot of how much I do or don't lose from week to week depends entirely on what I am eating regardless of the fact I always come in under my calorie limit. Dropping the sodas --diet and otherwise-- entirely from my diet, and switching to water with lime or tea when I needed something with flavor helped. I stopped with pasta, cheeses, and anything cream-based as well. It took a while to get used to eating foods I would have considered bland before, but once I did and learned how to spice things up it got much better.

The Penzeys Spices are pretty much amazing for bringing 'zazz' to what would be an otherwise boring meal of vegetables with some meat for protein.

I guess there isn't a magic answer to the question that I can think of. Maybe someone else will have a better solution, but for me it was the change of more vegetables, less meat, and dropping all cheese/cream/etc. out of my diet that helped out the most.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    drinking water. i used to hate it. as soon as i started drinking water the weight is shifted much easier, even though i was sticking to the recommended net calorie intake without the water it comes off much slower. also i never used to eat breakfast, i always eat something now for breakfast
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    At 48 days here so far, I don't know if I'd fit your category of "sustained success", but I wanted to comment on this:
    Well, for me it was figuring out that not all calories are created equal. Sure, I could stay under my calorie ceiling eating pizza and small burgers, but I didn't lose very much weight... I stopped with pasta, cheeses, and anything cream-based as well. It took a while to get used to eating foods I would have considered bland before, but once I did and learned how to spice things up it got much better.
    The person quoted here has valuable experience, but just as a counter-point: essentially the only thing I've changed in my diet is my portion sizes and how often I have snacks of the same kind of food I'd be eating anyway, and I have not found this to be a barrier to progress.

I already had a pretty healthy diet. I still eat ice cream, occasionally eat pizza, fish and chips, and eat the same carbs. I doubt there is a day that goes by where I don't eat cheese in some form, and I drink full cream milk at times when I would otherwise have a larger calorie deficit than I am comfortable with. The main substitution is now using low fat instead of full cream milk on my breakfast. I already walked to and from work each day and still do. There isn't a single food I consider 'off limits'.

If anything, I've been losing weight a bit faster than most people here would probably recommend. Have set target at 1lb (i.e. 450g)/week, and trying to go 150-250 net calories/day under this most days after eating back exercise calories so that I can target 700g/week loss. This means on an average weekday I have a personal target of 2,290–2,390 calories to consume including those burned from my walk for my commute. (I am a tall male.) Experience over the last 48 days is I have lost 1.3kg a week on average. Presumably my base activity level is higher than I estimated.
  • jat9277
    jat9277 Posts: 10
    Options
    A few more details: I always eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and 1-2 small snacks of generally vegetables, nuts, fruit or yogurt. All the dairy I consume is low-fat or fat-free, with the exception of an occasional Tbsp of half and half in my coffee (which I've drastically reduced). I definitely drink at least 8-10 glasses of water/day, plus several cups of decaf tea (usually green) and decaf coffee. The majority of my diet is plant-based, with a lot of fresh veggies, fruits, and some whole grains and legumes. I add in lean protein and a fair amount of yogurt for protein. I don't ever drink soda, rarely drink alcohol or juices and rarely eat refined carbs. I exercise 6 days/week for 60 minutes/day doing a combo of cardio, intervals, yoga, weights. MFP has me set at 1200 calories/day. I generally eat around 1400-1600 day before considering exercise and net between 1000-1200.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    For me it was planning out meals ahead of time and eating all day instead of just at meal time. I used to do two meals a day so by the time they finally came along I was really hungry and unprepared so I'd eat something easy (processed) and usually too much of it. I now cook nearly everything I eat and bring my lunch and snacks with me to work. I eat every 2-3 hours, even if I don't feel hungry. If I never let myself get hungry I never overeat. I only give myself access to healthy food and, thanks to not being hungry, I can stay clear away from the junk that people bring into work. I'm currently down 30 pounds from my starting weight but still working on the last 10 pounds.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may have to increase your calorie intake. If you are netting less then 1200 calories, your body may not have the energy to keep up.