"prefer that they not be used"

Options
So as some of you know I will be running my first 5k at the end of August. I emailed the Race Office to find out if I would be allowed to use my iPod. This is the response:

We prefer that they not be used --- it is a safety (and insurance) issue --- it makes it hard for you to hear important announcement, sirens, etc.

So... should I, or not? What about in only one ear?:ohwell: I could run without it, but I much prefer to use it (especially since I'm traning w/ music (the couch to 5k podcast)). For those of you that have done a race before, what are your thoughts? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jcpalmer1day
    Options
    I trained for my half-marathon with my iPod. I ran the race without it though. There are people around to talk to, and it's an experience I would've missed out on, had I had music pumping in my ears.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    I always run with my ipod. I think you will find that when you get there most other runners will also have their ipods on.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I wouldn't (and don't) wear one when running in the actual race. You will typically be running harder during race day than normal and you will want to focus your attention on how your body is responding. Plus like mentioned by JCPalmer, the experience is well worth not having the music for a day.

Good luck!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I only use my iPod in the gym and I never use it for races.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for your advice. Since it's my first race, I'm not sure exactly what to expect! :wink:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not a runner, but when I walked my 5K I would have been lost without my Ipod. There were two women who were trailing me the whole time and when a song would end I could hear them yacking....I know for sure that would have drove me nuts to listen to them gossiping the whole time.

If you train with it, then I think you should use it....or at least, if you are not going to use it afterall, you should go for a few runs without it and see how you feel. You shouldn't try anything new on race day.

If you're worried about the fact that the race officials prefer that you don't use it, I think:
    1. There are sooooo many people running a race, they cannot possibly run around to every person and police them on whether or not they have an Ipod.

2. If you had to email to get this answer, and it wasn't clearly posted anywhere, I think you should just plead ignorance.....I wouldn't have inquired, so if I were running this race, I would show up with my Ipod having no clue about their preference.

3. They PREFER no Ipods, but they can't tell you not to use it. So go for it!

Good luck with your run! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Take it with you.
    Try running without it.
    If you can't get into your groove, pop in those earbuds.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Races should be run without ipods for safety reasons, or any running on the roads. You will find that you probably won't even miss them because your adrenal from all that is going on around you kicks in and you will need to have all your senses to take it all in.

Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    If you turn it up as loud as my kids have theirs, you can just loop the earbuds around your neck and hear the music just fine, ha ha ha.... My kids have theirs in their ears and I can hear it clearly across the room.

I, however, am cooler than my parents were, and don't insist that they turn it down. Obviously the blaring music I had didn't hurt my hearing since I can hear ipods across the room...

Sorry, little off topic... My advice, take it, just turn it up loud and put the buds through your bra strap so they don't shift, and let em dangle by your neck... You can still hear the music, but your ears won't be plugged.