HOW TO GET YOUR HAIR TO GROW FAST?

Options

Replies

• liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    .Ugh! I've delt with this for months now! I cut it short in febuary last year its only a few inches longer not much differnet, its down to my shoulders but I was really hoping it be longer by now being my weddings in 2 months : \, I've bought hair, skin, and nail vitams none of them worked...the prenatal vitams I bought at walmart sucked...the only thing I have found is prescribtion prenatla vitams
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    You can't make it grow faster. It's just how it is. Your body has its set growth for hair, everyone's is different, and you can't change it. The only time you'll really see a difference is if you've had major damaged hair and treat it with the proper shampoos or serums because then your hair becomes healthy and will seem to have a growth spurt.

Vitamins for hair and nails only really work on your nails if they're brittle. Oil treatments work the same as massaging shampoo into your scalp when you shower. It's meant to increase the blood flow to your scalp to hopefully aid in the growth of hair, but it doesn't.

EDIT: I say this because I went through all these tricks since last July when I shaved my head completely and wanted my hair to grow back really quick after a couple weeks when I got tired of being asked if I was on chemo. It's just a bunch of hoopla.
  • fattyboombottom
    fattyboombottom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You dont have to be pregnant to take the prenatal vitamines. My doctor recomended them though I am not baby bound and I have been taking them now for about 3weeks. unexpectedly, my husband looked at my nails and commented on how long and shiny they were. If the vitamins can do that to ma nails I can only imagine what its doing for my 3' long hair. Probably wont be able to tell for a while but I'll let you know!
  • Beccaliebchen
    Beccaliebchen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As stated above by many other MFP users - Biotin. Prenatal vitamins work as well but they mainly focus on the texture of your hair and the clarity of your skin. The reason biotin works so well at growing out your hair (and nails) is because it is actually a vitamin that speeds up your metabolism. So everything in your body is working a little faster, including the cells that help your hair and nails grow. It is also a good idea to pair the biotin with a Prenatal vitamin. The biotin helps your hair and nails grow out faster but, because of this, their not getting as much nutrients as they normally would. Taking a prenatal alongside the biotin would help strengthen the hair and nails as they grown out faster (and it helps clear up your skin as well). There are some vitamins that include all of these nutrients in one pill, one is Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin and Nails. It's basically a prenatal vitamin packed with biotin.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    biotin.

I take this vitamin mostly for energy support :)

but helps skin/nails as well
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    prenatal vitamins lots of good stuff in them for your body they will make your hair and nails grow

I don't think that would work for me... :laugh:

They are just vitamins, no hormones. There's nothing in there that wouldn't also be healthy for a man.

well if I had any hair.... you might be right!!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Biotin is a great supplement.
    Fish Oil will help moisturize hair so it won't get dry.
    Sulfate-free shampoo
    Wide tooth comb (No brushes)
    Be gentle with hair. No rubbing it with a towel to dry. Pat dry.
    Don't bleach
    Minimize the heat you use on your hair.
    Healthy hair will grow longer faster. Unhealthy hair that has breakage from the above things will break off and be harder to grow.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Ditto on Sulfate-Free, just to keep it nice.

While this may not make it grow faster (see: it won't), using oil on the ends of your hair afterward if you heat style (and let's be honest, a lot of us are going to do it anyway) will help to keep the ends from splitting and breaking off, which makes your hair seem to stay short when it is in fact growing.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sleepytexan and Anomalia are spot on as is the info on Biotin. Your hair will grow as fast as your hair will grow. The trick is to keep the hair as healthy as possible so that you don't have to cut it due to split ends/damage! Don't believe anyone that says you have to cut it to make it grow faster, that is pure fallacy. Keep it healthy is the best advice, so you don't have to cut it! Good luck - and try to keep it fresh so you don't get impatient with your look. Pin it up and play with up do's (keeping away from heat and styling products) while it grows out.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't think that would work for me... :laugh:
    [/quote]

Actually recently when my father was in the hospital they had him on vitamins and at one point the dr called it a prenatal vitamin and when we questioned him he said that even tho it was technically called something else it was basically just a prenatal vitamin- great for anyone male or female :)
  • myers0machine
    Options
    i would have to say time is the only think thats going to help sry to tell ya hun
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I second (fourth?) the Biotin.

Until last week I had waist length but (but healthy) locks!
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Try co-washing, and make sure you get regular trims.
  • SexyLexy83
    SexyLexy83 Posts: 340
    Options
    for me lots of protein and healthy fats! also take a vitamin and stop stressing yourself out. my hair grows so much faster when i dont have a boyfriend hahaha ;D

bahahaahhahahha so true!

LOVE IT ! ADDING YOU AS A FRIEND!
  • SexyLexy83
    SexyLexy83 Posts: 340
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE SOMEONE HAS TOLD BE ABOUT BIOTEN AND I THINK IM GOING TO GIVE IT A SHOT NOW,

I ALSO HAVE NOT COLORED MY HAIR IN OVER 4 YEARS, HOWEVER I DO STRAIGHTEN ABOUT TWICE A WEEK.
  • nisemac
    nisemac Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hair grows an average of 1/2 inch per month--provided you have no breakage. Moreso than trying to make grow faster, you should focus retention, by protecting your hair. As others have mentioned:

--low manipulation and protective styles: buns, updos french braid with the end tucked under, and ponytails (careful that its not too tight. shoulder length is a difficult phase because the fragile ends of your hair brush up againts your shoulders.

--deep conditioning treatments/protein treatments as need to maintain a proper moisture/protein balance

--minimal or no heat. forgo the blow dryers and flat irons

--no sulfate shampoos or, using conditioner to wash.

--preventative trims. get those split ends before they do more damage. every 6-8 weeks...longer if you're protecting your ends from damage. I can go 12 weeks before needing a trim, and then, I'm trimming 1/8-1/4 of an inch.

--healthy lifestyle. if you need a multivitamin so supplement your diet, take one. but be cautious of all the things out there. if you're taking a basic multivitamin, you don't need prenatal, biotin, hair/skin/nails all at once.

--drink your water.

--patience.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE SOMEONE HAS TOLD BE ABOUT BIOTEN AND I THINK IM GOING TO GIVE IT A SHOT NOW,

I ALSO HAVE NOT COLORED MY HAIR IN OVER 4 YEARS, HOWEVER I DO STRAIGHTEN ABOUT TWICE A WEEK.

If you straighten your hair, buy the John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection serum. You put it in wet hair before straightening and it stops the heat from causing crunchy hair or split ends. I used it when I had longer hair and had to straighten it because it was unruly. I would also get a shampoo that's designed to fix heat-damaged hair and remember to use conditioner too.
  • jillwaller10
    jillwaller10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My hair never grew until I stopped styling every day. I took a month to just leave it in a headband or ponytail, letting it dry naturally, and it got healthier and started to grow a lot faster. Sometimes it just needs time to repair the damage that regular styling makes.

Also I've heard that taking in an increase of protein helps? I haven't actually tried that for sure.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Expensive but actually works is Nioxin. It smells great too (like mint) I had a perm gone bad on my hair and it literally came out in chunks and the rest of it was so fried it continued to fall out damaging the roots as well. (try being bald at 20) My stylist suggested Nioxin and it really works! It more repairs hair and scalp but also promotes growth. There is also a generic brand you can buy but you still have to get it at the stylist. I also like the tried and true Mane and Tail. But the smell isn't as nice. I've never tried Bioten but I'm gonna have to now. Good luck!