Breaking down the exercise

I like all other people am sometimes very time poor, between kids, housework, the job and the dog, I barely get days where I can look side ways at an exercise bike, Can anyone advise me if there is a difference between doing 3 x 10 minute blocks compared to the straight 30 minutes in regards to calorie burn?

Replies

• calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    I'm not sure, but I feel ya - I'm really busy at home too and sometimes I break my stationary biking up too, but I try to keep my speed at 14-16mph on incline #7...gradually working my way up to #8. I also have to break up my push ups because there is no way NOW that I can do it all at once:noway: , but I'm working on it. For now I just do what I can - good luck on your journey!:smile:
  • I guess we have to do what we can when we can, at least I know I'm not the only one:wink:
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    I'm not sure, but have you tried typing the 3 separate 10 min blocks into the MFP exercise thing and comparing it to when you type in a full 30 min?
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    The best kind of exercise is the kind you can do! So if its 3 x10 mins then go for it.

Plus the NHS website even recommends it!

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/Tenminuteworkouts.aspx
  • Google "tabata training" you might get some benefit from that!
  • get up 30 minutes earlier and do it then. I find if I don't do it first thing, it doesn't happen. and if I planned a lunch hour workout, doens't happen for what ever reason.
  • symmone
    symmone Posts: 4
    Thanks Guys I appreciate it
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I've watched a few episodes of I Used to Be Fat and Fat Chef, and the personal trainers on both series have told the people they're working with that 3x10 minutes a day is just as helpful as 1x30 min a day, as long as you're getting the workout and the time.

The only thing that I would add my non-professional two cents about is that it usually takes me about 5-10 minutes before my heartrate really moves up into a higher zone so I'd maybe look at making those 10 minutes higher intensity from the start than you might for a 30 minute workout, so you get thongs going faster. :)